• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Magnetic Tank Bag Hazard

xwinds39

Magnetic tank bag hazard

I picked up a Road Gear magnetic tank bag at the Gillette rally last year and on the trip back to Great Falls had a little excitement. At about 60 mph I hit a crosswind gust and the bag slipped back and I found myself cradling it in my elbow and partially on the tank. I managed to slow down and get it resituated but was a bit wary after that. It happened again last week Mar 20,2009 ( I had forgotten it happened before) in my area when I was running about 75mph, but this time I got very concerned as this could have been fatal. I was in a bit of traffic at the time so I couldn't immediately slow down. My bike is a 2004 R1150R and has a moderately high windscreen, but the air can come under it from the side in a quartering direction. Has anyone had this experience? Is there a tank bag out there, either a strap on or magnetic type that fits this bike? I like the convenience of a tank bag but from my experience this is not the right on for this bike.

I picked up a Road Gear magnetic tank bag at the Gillette rally last year and on the trip back to Great Falls had a little excitement. At about 60 mph I hit a crosswind gust and the bag slipped back and I found myself cradling it in my elbow and partially on the tank. I managed to slow down and get it resituated but was a bit wary after that. It happened again last week Mar 20,2009 ( I had forgotten it happened before) in my area when I was running about 75mph, but this time I got very concerned as this could have been fatal. I was in a bit of traffic at the time so I couldn't immediately slow down. My bike is a 2004 R1150R and has a moderately high windscreen, but the air can come under it from the side in a quartering direction. Has anyone had this experience? Is there a tank bag out there, either a strap on or magnetic type that fits this bike? I like the convenience of a tank bag but from my experience this is not the right on for this bike.

sent you a PM, posting this in GEAR for more ideas would help also. Helen has a small Nelson-Rigg with a wide spread magnet base...works well on her 1150R and withstands high speed and high winds with no lift off.

Last edited:
Because this was not appropriate to the Posting Guidelines sticky and, as Henzilla suggests, was better placed here in Gear, I've moved these postings.

I've been using a CorTech Super Mini magnetic bag for several years, on 3 bikes. Only time it's come off was when I dumped my bike. No problem in high winds from any direction.

That is one reason I strap my tankbag. I don't want it flying off in any situation.

I've been using a Roadgear magnetic tank bag for a couple of years, and have never had a problem with it shifting. The magnets in mine a VERY strong - I rode to the Wisconsin Rally in really heavy crosswinds and it didn't budge. Been to Americade with it, and to Wyoming from the Toronto, Ontario area last year with absolutely no issues. My biggest problem seems to be peeling the sucker off to fuel up!

Cheryl

Many magnetic tank bags come with a little strap to affix to the front of the bag which loop up around the steering head. Most folks lose the strap with the wrapping paper and don't use it.

I don't use that little strap, on purpose. If my bag moves I want it back in my lap where I can jettison it if I have to - NOT up between the tank and the bars where I can't steer.

One time - in maybe 60 mph front quartering cross winds I had truck blast move mine a little. I stopped and looped a bungee cord over the top of the tank bag and back down to both sides of the tank - and proceeded on my merry (or not so merry) way.

I have had a grudge for magnetic tank bags ever since I put a nice scratch in the tank of my silver smoke R90S when I got a bit of grit under one of the magnets.

I have had a grudge for magnetic tank bags ever since I put a nice scratch in the tank of my silver smoke R90S when I got a bit of grit under one of the magnets.

That's a fair warning for all. One must be careful to keep the bottom of the tank bag clean - I check it every day before I mount it and take care of where I set it down. Also, the surface of the fuel tank must be clean. Some folks go so far as to put a piece of Saran Warp on a clean tank before slapping the tank bag down. I've not gone that far and I've not marred my fuel tank.

That's a fair warning for all. One must be careful to keep the bottom of the tank bag clean - I check it every day before I mount it and take care of where I set it down. Also, the surface of the fuel tank must be clean. Some folks go so far as to put a piece of Saran Warp on a clean tank before slapping the tank bag down. I've not gone that far and I've not marred my fuel tank.

I use a piece of cloth cut to the shape of the bags base as a buffer between the magnets and the tank. Has worked well for me, and I have never had a magnetic tank bag move in any situation....lucky I guess.

They do not work on dirt!

Magnets never stay put, riding rougher dirt trails, as I found out. GS's cannt use them anyways, because of plastics, but our KLR can and its a no use situation for these kind of bikes. The magnets simply cannot hold the bags, as one hits the bumps. Scratches terribly too, with exposure to dirt. Street only for magnet bags. Randy:usa

I can't speak about Road Gear, but I had a Marsee 20 ltr magnetic tank bag for many years on first a '94 Honda CB1000, then an '03 R1150R, and it never budged. I road in all manner of wind and weather and it was solid as a rock. The only reason I don't use it now is that my R12GS has a non-steel tank so magnetic tank bags won't work. Since I don't care for strap tank bags I use a Marsee Corona on the 12GS.

Speaking of tank bags with straps. I initially had a Marsee strap tank bag on my 12GS, but heavy cross winds moved it. Sometimes dangerously like the circumstance you described. That's why I bit the bullet and bought the relatively expensive Corona. If I can help it I'll never own another strap tank bag.

But that Marsee magnetic tank bag was a heckuva product, so I wouldn't indict all magnetic tank bags.

Securing Magnetic Tank Bag

I use the magnetic CoreTech mini on my 2000 R1100R with the supplied safety strap looped around the steering head. I've been in some vicious crosswinds and have never had more than a slight (1 or 2 inch) displacement. Fueling the bike is simple - I just lift the bag and roll it forward, leaving the strap connected.
The bag is my best accessory investmant so far. I put my wallet, cell phone, garage door opener, tire pressure gauge, sunglasses etc. in it and when I stop to shop or eat, I simply release it from the plastic hook on the safety strap and carry it with me.
If I've been riding in dusty conditions I remove the bag when I get home, wash and rewax the tank, use a sticky roller-type lint remover on the bottom on the bag, and rinse the bag with a little warm soapy water to be sure there is no residual goo on it. Many miles without any scratches.
And - as an added bonus to me - the bright blue bag matches the bike perfectly!

George
Retired Navy Tailhooker (F-9F, A-4, A-7, A-6)

I use the magnetic CoreTech mini on my 2000 R1100R with the supplied safety strap looped around the steering head. I've been in some vicious crosswinds and have never had more than a slight (1 or 2 inch) displacement. Fueling the bike is simple - I just lift the bag and roll it forward, leaving the strap connected.
The bag is my best accessory investmant so far. I put my wallet, cell phone, garage door opener, tire pressure gauge, sunglasses etc. in it and when I stop to shop or eat, I simply release it from the plastic hook on the safety strap and carry it with me.
If I've been riding in dusty conditions I remove the bag when I get home, wash and rewax the tank, use a sticky roller-type lint remover on the bottom on the bag, and rinse the bag with a little warm soapy water to be sure there is no residual goo on it. Many miles without any scratches.
And - as an added bonus to me - the bright blue bag matches the bike perfectly!

George
Retired Navy Tailhooker (F-9F, A-4, A-7, A-6)

was using bungee cords as my K75 . hay George do ya still fly?

My German magnetic bag on R1150R has never come loose, even when hitting Mexican topes & potholes at speed ! Also negotiated the St. of Teouachan with ferocious winds and no issues. I have formed a habit of wiping the bottom off each time I place it on my tank, not a large problem there. It is like an old friend when traveling! I have it full of everything important to have at hand.

dude if it's out in the open, strap it down. web belts work perfect.

Its all about the magnets and the gap.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

There are other resources to be sure including speaker shops but there are magnets out there that can break bones. A poor magnet will lose force but may be able to be recharged. Get a boyscout to help.

Try other google searches for "strong earth magnets" There are pull forces way beyond the needed value. A 1" x 18" has 60lb pull.

DX0H1

Dimensions: 1" dia. x 1/10" thick
Tolerances: ??0.002" x ??0.002"
Material: NdFeB, Grade N42
Plating/Coating: Ni-Cu-Ni (Nickel)
Magnetization Direction: Axial (Poles on Flat Ends)
Weight: 0.341 oz. (9.65 g)
Pull Force: 60.45 lbs
Surface Field: 2490 Gauss
Brmax: 13,200 Gauss
BHmax: 42 MGOe

Our 1" diameter disc magnets in 1/10" thickness. Useful for a wide range of applications.

DX0H1: 1 for $1.70 10 for $15.60 25 for $36.50 50 for $68.00 100 for $131.00 250 for $315.00 500 for $580.00 1000 for $1,090.00 2500 for $2,550.00
Quantity:

That is one reason I strap my tankbag. I don't want it flying off in any situation.

me, too. riding off-road compounds the problem.

i use a roadgear magnetic bag, but use one of those shoulder straps you seem to get with every briefcase and loop it under the steering stem.

when it's time for gas, i just stick the bag to the side of the tank.

ian

Back