• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hatchet & Saw

tkbaker4

Love this RT!
A few days ago, someone posted somewhere (it may have been a ride report) a picture of a Hatchet and Saw saying to not leave home without them.
I now can't remember where it is and can't seem to find it in any searches.
Does this ring a bell for anyone?
I knew I wanted to take another look but I forgot to document where it was.
Can someone help a sufferer of CRS?

Camp hatchet & Saw

I have'nt seen the post you are refering to, but I do a lot of Dual Sport camping. I carried at the time a muti-hatchet (Hammer, Prybar, Axe and nail, puller all in one) and a Gerber Sliding hand saw. I have now added a hand held chain saw and looking for a light axe. Gerber has a combo "Gater Combo Axe II" You might be interested in. This picture is of a tree that was in my way and I sawed through it in just under two hours.:thumb

Attachments

• DSCN0335.jpg
    DSCN0335.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 493
Scott...
Two hours to cut the log?

Reminds me of the joke about the Redneck who bought a Chainsaw because the salesman claimed he could cut twice the amount of wood in a day.

He really applied himself, but could only cut about 1.5 times the amount... even working an extra hour a day.

So, he returned the Chainsaw and apologized for not keeping it.

The salesman said.. "I don't understand what the problem is, do you mind if we check it out before we do the paperwork?"

The Redneck agreed and followed the salesman behind the store.

The salesman approached the woodpile behind the store, did a brief check of the chainsaw and pulled the starter rope....

The chainsaw sprang to life.....

The Redneck said.. "What's that noise...!!!!?????":stick

Sven Saw:)

REI sells this one and its packs into a very tidy small size aluminum stick, when packed....Very good saw:). Sven Saw, look it up, or visit REI near you. I keep it in my saddlebag all the time. Randy:usa

This picture is of a tree that was in my way and I sawed through it in just under two hours.:thumb

A mighty feat indeed!
One question though...
Could you not go around it, over it, or move in two hours?
Just askin...

:ear

Tree in the Way!!

No, I could not go over it or around it. My bike was fully loaded with camping gear. I ride an R1100GS, It's a heavy beast and I was alone so I didn't have help pulling or pushing my bike under or over the tree. There also was a bluff to the left I didn't want to fall over. Plus I just wanted to see what I could do, I had plenty of time. This is true adventure riding if you can cut your way though a trail.:p

On the general subject of riding over trees-I have ice storm trees down on my place right now, that are difficult to walk over or around , let alone negotiate on any bike.:lurk

Gerber Gator Combo Axe II

Thanx for the replies.
This one does intrigue me.
I'm only looking for something to use around the campfire.
I also want it to plant tent stakes and I'm a little worried about the design.
It looks like too many strikes on the rear could make it slip through the plastic.
Anybody had experience with this as an all around campsite tool?

I allways take a sven saw (folding aluminum w/steel blade) saw on camping trips, maybe used it 5times in 25yrs of sport touring!!! If yer an adv-tour type o person you'lle prolly use it more often than a cmp-gnd typ o guy ..I lean towards state & provincal parks & they usualy have access to a decent wood supply ( it keeps the picinc tables intact longer) ..axes & hachets r so medieval , I do carry a plastic mallet fer tent pegs , it weighs ounces & is good fer crowd control too & cracking open lobsta's n other shellfish:dance

Back