• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride to Johnson City

wezul

Cage Rattler
Hey, I don't know if I this has already been suggested but . . .
I've been talking around and some others in the Chicago area have expressed an interest in a "group" ride to Johnson City in July.
Let me throw out a loose plan and see what you think.
We meet somewhere Wednesday and shove off on a route as yet undetermined or approved by general consensus. We stop somewhere about halfway and stay overnight. Thursday we arrive at Johnson City.
Along the way down and back we select waypoints, that being a destination up the road we all agree will be the next stop so we can regroup, set the next waypoint and roll. Eliminates the need to always ride in a group or bunched up or like that. Also if we lose someone we know they should be somewhere between last waypoint and the next.

I think we need to start planning now.

Discuss. :blah

I'm interested. Could be difficult if you get 20-30 people involved, but worry about that only if it happens.

:thumb

:ha
Based on the response it looks like we will have considerably less than 30.
I'm going. I think I've got at least one more guy for the trip down at least.
30 would be cool but also could be a bit of a handful to manage but hey, this is an adventure, right?

I'd join you but I'm leaving on Thursday and blasting down to Lexington, KY on the first day. I Should arrive at the rally by Friday noonish.

I have the following week off so I'll be at liberty to explore the Appalachian roads at my leisure. :eat

Can we leave Tuesday?

I'm interested in joining a group yet want to leave Tuesday - I'd like to volunteer & get a good camping spot :dunno

Date-wise I'm open. Others may have put in for time off, I'll have to check.
One thing I do want to do is break the trip in half. For us that may be Lexington or Louisville but I'm open to suggestions.

My wife and I are riding down from Indy. We aren't 100% sure which day we are leaving yet though. You coming down 65? Maybe we could meet up, or you could stop by the house?

So, I guess I'm definitely...a maybe?

The post at start of thread lays things out pretty much as they are now.
One rider who I am pretty sure will be part of the group needs to put in for time off from work, he originally is set up to leave Wednesday. I have actually picked up a few days of vacation time from work so I am flexible, others may not have date options at this point.

down 65!!

bummer.. go down thru Columbus, North Vernon, then Madison and then 421 down thru Kentucky.. There is a great little Starbuck's copy coffee shop on Main St. Also try Hinkle's Hamburgers about 2 doors down. Ride down by the river too... There also is a covered bridge just south of Columbus.

There will be a few of us from just south of peoria going down maybe even leaving on monday and doing some sightseeing on the way.Can let you know more later. Ed

I'm interested in joining a group yet want to leave Tuesday - I'd like to volunteer & get a good camping spot :dunno

I'm leaving on Tuesday morning with two others. You're on the way. I'm camping in the Sherpa tents so I'm good to go.
We figure on pulling in Wed. evening. They are camping and I'm doing a hotel on the ride.

Wezul knows my plan.:hug Not much of one. :whistle I will be going to the RA Rally the following week and anyone going to both is more then welcome to join me.:thumb

:laugh :laugh :laugh

i opened my mouf too soon

Gotta leave on Sat/Sun now as I need to ride via western TN to the rally - its an outta the way route to get there unless you wanna go otta your way, if so let's talk, otherwise I hope to meet up with some of you at the rally or somewhere in between:D

OK, here's the plan - OU812 and I are departing Wednesday morning, hopefully like around o'dark thirty so we can get away from city before the rush.
Route, as yet unknown.
Rest stop, as yet undetermined.

Want to join? Let us know.

Still looking for a rider to split the room at the RA rally........:whistle
Appears I found one. :)

Last edited:
There will be a few of us from just south of peoria going down maybe even leaving on monday and doing some sightseeing on the way.Can let you know more later. Ed

We were planning on leaving earlier also, and would be interested in meeting up with at least a small group. We had thought about even maybe even Sunday and going straight south and doing Deals Gap on the way across.

My wife and I are riding down from Indy. We aren't 100% sure which day we are leaving yet though. You coming down 65? Maybe we could meet up, or you could stop by the house?

So, I guess I'm definitely...a maybe?
I think that would be fine with me. I would hook up with I65 south if I80. Wezul will have to chime in.

Back