• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone from Florida?

Bradenton Here!

Bradenton, Florida! New owner of 2008 R1200RT! My first street bike after 25 years of dirt bikes and ATV's. Hope to cross paths with others in the future. GO GATORS!!!
:bikes

Welcome aboard! I almost bought the R1200RT (I have a K1200LT) but the spouse liked the ride on the bigger bike better. She's beginning to rider herself, so I'll soon be looking at the RT again :). I'm also a Gator - been a good few years to be a Gator - so I do hope we cross paths. Planning on heading to the Rally?

My Route from Orlando to BMW Rally

Attached is the route I'm planning to take from Orlando up to the Rally (Garmin database eXchange Format). I'm posting this in case anyone else wants to use it, or has comments that will make it better. I've discovered there are numerous routes up the the Rally, so if someone has something to add, please do so.

My basic criteria was to avoid Interstates (although I do hit the E/W Expressway getting our of Orlando and I-26 for the final miles - but only after riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a ways!), try to use roads with less traffic, avoid (mostly) large cities, and find some nice scenic rides. Of course, as I learn a more about the roads the route is subject to refinement.

Our plan is to depart Orlando reasonably early on Tuessay, and spend the night somewhere between Waycross and Augusta. We'll leave early again on Wednesday and cover the remaining distance on Wednesday, hopefully arriving in time to set up the tent and nab a few beers!

Hope this is useful - I'm looking forward to meeting some of you fine folks up there!

:dance

Attachments

• BMW Rally.gpx
    573.2 KB · Views: 32
Absolutely. That's half the reason I posted it. I've already made some changes to take some of the larger cities (Waycross, Augusta, etc.) out of the route, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. Thank you!

I added two routes from west Jacksonville to Washington, GA to your original file.
The local club (BMW-NEF) has stayed in this restored hotel, my wife and I stayed there in 07.
http://thefitzpatrickhotel.com/
There are other chain motels on the outskirts also available or maybe a B+B.
I also made you a different route to get to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Hope this helps. If you can not open the file, feel free to send me a PM and I can e-mail you the file.

Attachments

• BMW RallyBernie.gpx
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Thanks Bernie. Beleive it not, I'd actually refined my route to include some of the same roads in your file. We are thinking about possibly heading our on Monday afternoon (can't get away until 2:00) and putting the first 200 miles behind us. If we do that, I can probably take advantage of the routes you posted which work further to the west and still arrive reasonably early on Wednesday. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. Hopefully our paths will cross up there and I can treat you to beer.

Glad you think the file will help.
Please keep in mind, that if the road turns to dirt, or the gps tells you to turn on to a dirt road, then you are not on My Route, OK. :wave

R1200s

Up around Deland here. Looking to trade off the R1200S for a more touring capable steed. Perhaps a RT is on the horizon, will make the national next year.

T-Minus 2 weeks till we depart for the Rally. Managed to get in about 200 miles this weekend, including being 1 of only 2 BMW's in the Sanford Rotary Club Poker Run. My wife drew the Ace of Diamonds not once, not twice, but THREE times. Too bad you can only use it once. The other BMW'er was on an R1200RT that we found parked outside the Airport Hanger Bar, but we never managed to connect up. Of course, dang near everyone else was on a Harley.
:usa

GPS route

Thanks Bernie. Beleive it not, I'd actually refined my route to include some of the same roads in your file. We are thinking about possibly heading our on Monday afternoon (can't get away until 2:00) and putting the first 200 miles behind us. If we do that, I can probably take advantage of the routes you posted which work further to the west and still arrive reasonably early on Wednesday. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge. Hopefully our paths will cross up there and I can treat you to beer.

Great work! If you don't mind my asking, could you post an updated GPS file? I am trying to finalize plans and leaving from South Florida probably on Sunday.:type

I will leave Jax on the 13th and travel up to Helen, GA. I'm planning on riding the scenic roads in that area Tuesday and hope to arrive at the Rally site about noon on Wed. Ride Safe :usa :usa Meet you at the Beer Tent/Garden :drink

Leaving for the Rally next weekend?

Anyone here leaving next weekend for the rally, I'm planning to leave early Friday or Saturday. If anyone is traveling on the weekend, lets exchange contact info., maybe we can meet up somewhere.

-g

Jacksonville

Leaving Jax on the 14th, most likely. Will stop at a couple of National Parks or Historic Sites on the way to the rally. I plan to arrive at the fairgrounds on Wednesday afternoon.

Great work! If you don't mind my asking, could you post an updated GPS file? I am trying to finalize plans and leaving from South Florida probably on Sunday.:type

The original file and Bernie's update are both posted above. You can download either (or both) and edit as you see fit. Let me know if I'm missing something and you need the file in a different format. We will be departing Monday afternoon, and stopping somewhere around Jax or slightly north. Hope to make it to Asheville by the end of the day on Tuesday, then arrive at the Rally before noon on Wednesday. The posted file is the route we'll be taking. See you at the Rally!

:dance:dance:dance:dance:dance

Under way

Left S. Fla this morning and spending the night just north of Valdosta GA. Tomorrow morning I'm heading to Atlanta to meet up with another rider, then it's N. GA mountains and the twistiest route to the rally. If anyone wants to meet up on the road somewhere. PM me.

-g

We're out the door tomorrow about 3:00. Getting a late start due to a commitment of the wife's. If all goes well, we'll make it into Georgia on Monday night, then Asheville on Tuesday, and hit the Rally site before noon on Wednesday. I'll be helping set up the Cyber Cafe for all you tech heads and nerds. Everyone ride safe....see you there!

:dance:dance:dance

Back