• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RainX

STOKES73

In the RiderToRider section of this month's BMW ON there is a suggestion to use RainX on your shield and windscreen. I have been under the impression that RainX shouldn't be used on polycarbon materials. Has anyone actually used RainX on a face shield or windscreen? I use it on my car windshields and like the results. I'm just concerned that might cloud the windscreen over time.

Stokes

Yup

I have used Rain X on various helmets and been happy with the results. Try it, you'll like it.

Rain-X

Cee Bailey ask you not to use it.

Don't know about BMW screens. I know the BMW screen has some type of coating over the base plastic. A friend's is starting to peal.

I use it on face shields as they don't last long enought to know if it messes them up. Use the Fog-X on inside to help some.

RainX does make a product for plastics, but I'm happy with the Meguiar's line of products (www.meguiars.com) for cleaning and detailing my motorcycles. I've used their Mirror Glaze clear plastic cleaner/polish for many years on motorcycle and aircraft windshields, and no problems yet... Also works great to clean the plastic lenses of my glasses.

I use just the regular RainX on Shoei faceshields. After 7 years, I have not noticed any ill effects. While I DON'T like RainX on car windhsields (it puts on an icky coating that doesn't work well with windshield wipers and you have to re-apply too often), I love it on my faceshields (no windshield wipers). Just need to re-apply every so often.

In regards to your friends windshield, I used Meguiars scratch x on mine when the coating turned white and started peeling. It worked great, and make the shield look like new. He may want to try that instead of getting a new shield.

Back