• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seattle to Reno

P

pturner820

I've got some time in between jobs these next two weeks and am looking for a good route that doesn't involve snow. I know it's not the best time of year to be exploring, but I figured I'd try.

I'm thinking of riding from Seattle to Yakima to Pendleton, and then US395 all the way to Reno.

Anyone know what the road conditions are like right now?

I'm hoping that once I get over the Cascades and start heading South, that I'll be clear of snow/ice, but I know there's some decent elevation in OR so want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

If it's too risky, then I'll find something else or just wait until later in the year.

Thanks!

I can't tell you what the weather and roads are like right now but I've made the trek to Vegas numerous times the end of March thru 1st week in April for sign shows down there. I believe 2 yrs ago (maybe 4...) we got dumped on so bad that Snoqualime pass was closed so I went down I-5. About 34-38 degrees over the Syskiyou pass down near Ashland, OR and raining HARD. Kept going down 5 until the Sacramento area and called a friend and he said the pass up to Reno was closed for snow too! So I kept going to Bakersfield.....

It all depends on the weather systems as to if you can make it or not this time of year. I've done the ride many times and have ridden in snow storms EVERY time. It might not be Wash or Oregon or Nevada but sometimes all three. Just watch the weather and be prepared. If you have electrics and patience you'll be fine. Be flexible to take other routes if necessary and enjoy the ride:brad

You can give www.tripcheck.com a try for OR road reports. It's "usually" pretty dry out in eastern/central OR but the weather can change really fast. This morning it's 15 degrees here in Bend but it's supposed to get up to the high forties.

I've got some time in between jobs these next two weeks and am looking for a good route that doesn't involve snow. I know it's not the best time of year to be exploring, but I figured I'd try.

I'm thinking of riding from Seattle to Yakima to Pendleton, and then US395 all the way to Reno.

Anyone know what the road conditions are like right now?

I'm hoping that once I get over the Cascades and start heading South, that I'll be clear of snow/ice, but I know there's some decent elevation in OR so want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

If it's too risky, then I'll find something else or just wait until later in the year.

Thanks!

Patrick,

I'm originally (well, sort of) from the Reno area, Fallon actually, and have ridden all the routes between here and there countless times in the last 30 years.

Weather is so highly variable at this time of year you could potentially get stranded by snow/ice for a day or two along that high desert route. If you're prepared and watch the weather reports closely you could do it safely, but be prepared for very cold temps. During a few hours in the afternoon you MIGHT get temps into the 50's for much of that route, but it cools quickly and warms slowly in that high desert country. You taking the GS?

All that being said, it IS a nice ride, particularly if you like open highways. You know, where you can OPEN the throttle! :brad

Cheers, Bill J

Hmm, well, my original thought was to avoid rain by hopping East.
However, from the comments so far, heading further West might be a better plan.

I just checked the temps along the coast for next week, and they're quite mild, though somewhat rainy. Rain I can stand, cold/snow/ice is a different story.

Looks like a trip to Monterey might work out better than Reno.

Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks for the photos! Though have to agree that it looks quite wet and cold...but not quite frozen like Bend/Lakeview, etc.

If you head down that way again I'd also recommend (if you want to bypass the Oregon Coast) to try the route from Grants Pass to Crescent City. Midweek during the summer there aren't TOO many cagers, and it's a really nice ride thru that high country of NW California.

Cheers!

BJ

Back