• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

protective riding gear ???

Ride with gear:)

Rarely I go riding in less. Tour Master has some good pants and very reasonable $$$. Watertight too, without adding a liner. I ride the pants without the winter liner that comes with it, because it works for me that way. Olympia AST jacket for me, too. The pants run around 120$, from Tour master. I've sued them for 2 years now, without any complaints. I wear leather pants too, when the idea hits me to. The leather is less protection, but very good vs. regular jeans. The leather can slide the pavement to, without ripping open. I find my leather overpants much easier to take on and off, vs the other garments available, but the leather is not watertight. Randy:thumb :usa

I use all the ATGATT and sometimes I have trouble convincing my wife I need good gear but she was wonderful this week when I bought a BMW Rally Pro 2 suit brand new off our own Flea market for only $1000.00. Saved money and now have the ultimate in riding suits. If I would have bought it first it would have saved me thousands in gear over the years instead of other gear. Now I need to sell some other stuff!

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

I bought a pair of "Joe Rocket" riding pants (sorry can't remember the actual style name) they are very comfortable and come with a removeable waterproof liner.
They also have a good sized section that zips out, revealing a mesh layer that allows improved ventillation, the knee pads are internal but removable.
I find them more practical than my leathers, especially in the hot summers down here in Georgia. I think I paid around $150 ish, which is reasonable.
Cheers,
Ian :drink

those sound like the Alter Ego pants. My favorite summer pant- will often wear them over bicy shorts when touring, or over jeans/street pants when commuting.

ATGATT here as well, and a total "gear whore"- i could outfit a basketball team (if they were all my size) with what's hanging in my closet.

I have a Motoport Kevlar air mesh pants and jacket, BMW Ralley Pro 2 pants and jacket, and an Aerostich Darien Jacket. I've worn (no longer own) Joe Rocket Alter Ego Pants and mesh jacket.

The BMW Rally Pro 2 suit is the most comfortable motorcycle pants and jacket I've worn. I prefer to wear this suit unless it's 90 plus degrees, then I wear the Motoport. The Motoport has awesome ventilation, and I couldn't ask for a better mesh jacket. The pants on the other hand are just OK.

Although the BMW and Motoport suits were far more expensive than the Joe Rocket suit I originally purchased, they are ten times better than the Joe Rocket gear IMO. However, the Joe Rocket gear is better than nothing. So, buy what's comfortable and in your budget.

Protective gear

Besides the typical helmet and protective gloves, I started with Areostich. I got 2 of thier systems:

1. Roadcrafter one piece (back, hips, knees, and elbo pads)
2. Roadcrafter two piece (same padding as above)

Please, always wear protective gear - it saved my life in 'August '08. Since I wrecked by '05 R1200RT and the insurance company totaled it, I bought another R1200RT ('08). My wife added to my appearal 'arsenal' with BMW's Pro Ralley II - great system and real stylish (it that's your thing).

I just picked up a pair of Aerostich Combat lites boots. Go to thier web site and at least shop.............www.aerostich.com and view the Rider wearhouse catalog. 800-222-1994

Invest in the right appearal...........don't even think of saving $ here. Aerostich / BMW appearal is very pricy but it's the best technology $ can buy. if you skid at 60 mph w/this stuff you stand a change of not lossing your limbs to road rash.

Good luck shopping..................

Dont waste money

Good stuff aint cheap, and cheap stuff aint good. Having said that, I like Olimpia. Good quality, function and price. (no Im not a salesman). You can spend big bucks on nicer stuff if you want ... but its not necessary. You are better off getting a couple of items (summer and winter clothing) than one "all season" setup. "All-season" means you cook in the summer and shiver in winter. Check out newenough.com and other online retailers for deals. You can also get really good deals at rallies .... and you can try the stuff on. Good luck.

Atgatt

I to never go around the block without ATGATT. I had an accident last year when a rear tire went down while cruising the Interstate. I wasn't wearing anything protective (I know that it was a dumbass thing to do) and got lucky and walked away with a totaled bike and a few scratches. Made the GF wear a helmet and it was beat up. I am now a firm believer in safety gear, even in the middle of the blistering Texas Summers.

You all ride safe.

IMHO the Motoport Kevlar-Mesh suit is cooler than a T-shirt and blue jeans in hot weather. The mesh acts like your own personal shade tree in the sun.

Back