• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Folding Trailer

KHartnett

Any recommendations for a single, folding bike trailer? Currently looking at the Kendon, but there's a Stinger folding from Ramp Connection.com that looks pretty cool & holds more weight. Need one by 9/12 as I'm trailing my new F650 to Hatteras!

Okay in that case...

I have seen the Kendon in person and it seems to be pretty good. Something else to consider is U-Haul has open trailers that you can rent, and then tie the bike down.

When I had to help my brother move his bike, we nailed 4x4 rails in to hold the bike and then lots of tie downs. Might be a better way to go.

Also make sure you turn off the self-destruct trailer sensor on the BMW.

KatHart said:
Any recommendations for a single, folding bike trailer?

Wow! I didn't know BMW made a "folding" bike!:D

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

RM

Observations based on viewing the websites in question:

I like the fold-away size of the rampconnection trailer, however it has limited tie-down points and no suspension other than the flex in the tires. The Kendon certainly has a more "engineered" look to it (though appearances can be decieving) and seems to have some suspension built into the axel, looks like a torsion bar(?) and more places to tie-off to, it also would work as a utility hauling platform.

I figure the more bumps the trailer can soak up the fewer shock loads the bike frame is going to have to take through the tie-downs, loads the frame was never intended to absorb. But I might be being too fussy....

Steve

I highly recommend a trailer with suspension. I have a small home-made 4x8 flatbed trailer with no suspension that I use as an emergency rescue vehicle and have used once to (god forbid!) trailer the bike. It beats up the bike pretty bad (I put the bike on centerstand and tie it down) and I got some additional squeaks and rattles after trailering it. For future trips I will chock the front (or use the 4x4 idea) and tie it down so the bike's suspension will take some of the jolts.

Trailers

Unless you are looking to make trailering a habit, I'd suggest the U-Haul open route. Depending on your stay, you may be able to arrainge two one-way drops cheaper than holding the trailer for the whole trip. Either way is cheaper than investing in the trailer for limited use. I trailered my bike from Atlanta to LA in May, then rode it back across country in the CFA Kyle Petty Charity Ride. The U-Haul and some Canyon Dancers did fine.

If you do invest in a trailer, I agree that you should be sure it has full size tires and adequate suspension for the load. You can always buy it, use it a few times and then sell it.

Jeff

Too bad more dealers don't rent quality bike trailers. I borrowed one once from a dealer. I was very convenient.

MarkF

Re: Trailers

JeffPGA said:
Unless you are looking to make trailering a habit, I'd suggest the U-Haul open route. Depending on your stay, you may be able to arrainge two one-way drops cheaper than holding the trailer for the whole trip. Either way is cheaper than investing in the trailer for limited use. I trailered my bike from Atlanta to LA in May, then rode it back across country in the CFA Kyle Petty Charity Ride. The U-Haul and some Canyon Dancers did fine.

If you do invest in a trailer, I agree that you should be sure it has full size tires and adequate suspension for the load. You can always buy it, use it a few times and then sell it.

Jeff

I'd agree with JeffPGA and would only add that, if you buy, I'd recommend that you get a trailer that carries two bikes. Small incremental cost for MUCH greater versatility (unless you only go solo)

david

Re: Trailers

JeffPGA said:
Unless you are looking to make trailering a habit, I'd suggest the U-Haul open route.

Jeff

Don't know if they're available in your part of the country, but my local U-Haul dealers have motorcycle trailers for rent. I've used one a couple of times to carry disabled bikes to the shop.

Bike on a trailer

I used a U-Haul motorcycle trailer to bring my new R1150RS home from the dealer last January-- 100 miles that I didn't think either I or the bike was ready for. The U-Haul motorcycle trailer (not available at all U-Haul sites -- some calling around may be necessary) was excellent for the job and at a reasonable price.

For any future trips to the dealer that may require trailing (bike or rider disabled, perhaps), I have considered purchasing a folding trailer. Check out their site here:

http://www.trailerinabag.com/main.html

As I recall, they were about $1100, a bit cheaper than the other suggestions in the replies.

Jody -

Trailer in a Bag is exactly what I'm looking for - and there are two dealers w/in 10 miles of my house! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you. I'll swing by today to check them out ... will let you know what I end up doing.

:)

Make sure also that the vehicle you plan to use to pull the trailer is up to the job. I thought about doing a trip with the car and the bike on a trailer (I had my reasons guys, cut me some slack here!), and on researching the idea nixed it as my car is not designed for the task and the available hitch installation hardware requires first drilling some big holes in the trunk and through some structural members, then wiring up some weird electronics to keep the trailer's lights from freaking out the car's brake lamp failure-warning circuit. Looked like bad idea all around so I dismissed it.

Thanks for the advice. My car is a Nissan Altima 3.5. It's got a hitch & has already successfully trailed a 2-bike trailer for awhile.

About 5 years ago when I was building a house and did not own a truck, I bought a realitively cheap trailer that pivots in the middle so you can drive a lawnmower up on it. I think I paid around 300-400 for it. This spring when I loaded up the family for a spring break trip to Florida, I purchased a front wheel chock for about 50 bucks, and bolted it to the trailer. All in all it works pretty good, especially for what I have invested in it.

James O

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 344
KatHart said:
Any recommendations for a single, folding bike trailer? Currently looking at the Kendon, but there's a Stinger folding from Ramp Connection.com that looks pretty cool & holds more weight. Need one by 9/12 as I'm trailing my new F650 to Hatteras!
I just went through the trailer scouting thing. Inquired, compared & pondered. I bought a 5x8 landscaping trailer at menards and attached a sheet of 3/4" pt plywood to the deck. Ordered a "bike vise" online and mounted it to the deck also. Add a set of tie down straps and you're ready to go. The trailer has 12" tires, leaf springs, 1,600 # capacity. I haul a R 1200 CLC and it rides rock steady. The bike vise is the way to go. I've got about $800 in this rig.

Back