• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aerostich Combat Touring Boots

carlc

I am needing a new pair of riding boots. I have Cruiserworks boots that do a great job of keeping out the rain, but are not holding up very well. I am curious about the Aerostich Combat Touring Boots. I have no question about the build quality of the boot, but it is not advertised as water proof. Do any of you have experience in waterproofing the boots with leather treatment? Thanks for your input.

Unless you're going to be walking in water, you really don't need "waterproof" boots. Any good quality leather boot can be made water resistant with the application of the right leather treatment. My favorite riding boots are a ten-year-old pair of wellingtons that have been resoled twice, and just keep on ticking...

About twice a year I treat them with Kiwi silicone spray boot treatment, and then just keep them polished with regular Kiwi boot polish. The only time my feet get wet in the rain is when the legs of my rain pants creep up over the top of the boots and allow water to run down inside.

I did some extensive research on boots and ordered the Daytona Trans Open GTX. The GTX stands for Gortex. Hand made in Germany not machine made in China like all other boots.

Daytona Boots

You can order them through the only US dealer, www.Helimot.com. You can phone Helmut and he'll answer all your questions about the boots. It takes about 3 weeks for the order to get here from Germany.

I got the Combat's this spring and have put xx,xxx miles on them so far. They are built like a tank, waterproof with the use of Nikwax, and when your pant legs are tucked in, scare young children and democrats. They took a while to break in and my feet get hot if it's over 90??. Other than that, I like 'em.

Burnszilla said:
I did some extensive research on boots and ordered the Daytona Trans Open GTX. The GTX stands for Gortex. Hand made in Germany not machine made in China like all other boots.
Helimot has a great rep, but it would be a shame if he's spoiling it by claiming all other boots come from China. Both my last pair of BMW Goretex boots and my new pair of Oxtars are made in Italy, and both are waterproof.

From the other side of Hwy 17,

I'm on the fourth year with my Daytonas, I was turned onto them by Mrs. KBasa.
I am a bit of a fit problem, I have large German calves and thick ankles.
Those boots are all day in the rain dry, and the multiple zipper and velcro adjustments mean perfect fit,
over or under pants.
My husband ran out and bought a pair also, and coming from a tightwad Yankee like him,
that's a high compliment on the boots' value.

BMW Contour 2 Boots

I got about 16,000 miles and 700 days on mine. Still waterproof and comfortable. For me it was worth the money as they are the most comfortable ones I have tried.

Combat Touring Boots are good...

... but it depends on your needs.

They take a looooonnnnggggg time to break in because they're so heavy duty.

They are great for adventure touring/light off-road, but there are better choices for street riders.

The soles are not adequately lugged for more serious off-road.

They are not waterproof, but Totes slip right over. They can be treated with Sno-seal or other similar product and work pretty good.

Mine finally gave up the ghost after 7 years and 200,000 miles. They were *hammered* and looked pretty rough, but still worked. I ground them up while exploring lean angle limits on the K12RS... so, Combat Touring boots got Killed in Action.

If you're a dual-sport/Adventure Tourer, I would recommend them. If you ride primarily on the street, the Daytonas are a better choice., IMO.

Ian

thanks for the comments

To all who responded, thanks. Your comments and experiences have been helpful to me.

carlc

I've been happy with the Sidi On-Road sympatex. They are similar to the CTBs (also made by Sidi I believe) but with a waterproof membrane. Upside: completely waterproof, downside: warmer.

Motonation stocks them.

Have owned the Combat Tourers for about a year and a half, and really like them. Have worn them in downpours several times, and they are as waterproof as most people need in my opinion, when treated as recommended with a beeswax/silicone mixture. Have never had my feet get a drop of water on them. They are quite stiff, but that is part of the protection, if they ever got really pliable, you would need new ones. Very comfortable to wear all day from day one. I'll buy another pair if I ever wear these out.

Another satisfied Combat Touring Boot owner.

I'd like to add that they are comfortable to walk in as well.

Ian

Back