• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dealers in SE Wisconsin

glurkus

Which has the best service department, Mischlers or BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee?
I've have had a couple of minor issues with both BMW of Milwaukee, (Forgot to put in a fastener, anti seize all over hand grip) and Mischlers (Scratches on rim from tire change) Their shop prices seem about the same.

The problems you list are a complaint that can be had by all dealers. Sadly with BMW's we only have 3 dealers in Wisconsin, BMW MKE, Mischlers, and Nicks.

In my experience I am very happy with BMW MKE. The work is done quick, and correct (as best as I can tell). Previously I owned a Yamaha and Kawasaki brand machines. In my opinion there is no good Yamaha dealer in SE Wisconsin, parts and service sucked! I did find a good place for Kawi parts and service, but they did not really know bikes is parts, and service was slow. My carb clean was behind a John Deere Gator. I now laugh at my father with his Goldwing dealer. The dealer does not have any clue on long distance touring accessories or mods. I have not had these problems with BMW MKE.

The point is that BMW shops do provide specialized services. Can problems or errors happen, yes. Talk to the shop and explain the problem. In truth, it is your responsibility to build a rapport with the dealer and staff. But remember, you want to build a good rapport.

Snowy.

The other 2 dealers get all the accolades, but I really like Mischlers. I've had a few problems, nothing that I feel couldn't have happened at any dealer, and they've always made it right. I did feel more confident in Arts ability when he was a tech, but the guys in the shop seem to know their stuff. Jason, the service writer, is really good at what he does and enthused about the product.

Gilly

+1 for Mischlers. I've visited all 3 and find them all nice. I met Art Mischler & the gang when I was buying my first BMW and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They sold me and give me reasons to keep coming back.

+1 for Mischler's as well. :thumb

My story too:
+1 for Mischlers. I've visited all 3 and find them all nice. I met Art Mischler & the gang when I was buying my first BMW and have nothing but positive things to say about them. They sold me and give me reasons to keep coming back.

I had emergency service done on my 2007 R1200RT when on a trip to NC. Mischler's ordered and replaced the antenna ring in less than 36 hours. The service was great and they loaned me a BMW motorcycle to ride for the time mine was in the shop. If I didn't live so far away I'd purchase my motorcycles from them.

+1 for Mischler's as well. I recently purchased a used 2008 RT from a Doctor in Florida and had it shipped here to Iowa. I e-mailed Gina's and Mischler's for some prices for a 49L top case and a few other items. I did not hear anything from Gina's but Mischler's got right back to me with some excellent prices. I ordered a top case and the dual horns for the 05 model. I want to get rid of the scooter horn that is on the bike now. Man that horn is embarrassing to use LOL... I have had a few questions and the service dept at Mischler's has answered every question for me and seemed very eager to help me.

If you are looking for service work call Glen. http://www.thoroughbred-cycles.com/

I stay away from all dealers seeing how they dont sell airheads anymore.

+1
ditto
what he said
I have had no empathy or understanding from Mischler's since the kids took over or Milwaukee BMW and Rockford BMW died when BMW made them separate from Kiegels.
I have had really good experiences from Thoroughbred's. I give him money all the time.
I have had good report about Matt at Motor West.
Motor West
John Rambo, who used to wrench at Rockford BMW and Kiegels has recently gone out on his own. I have his phone number if your interested in that.

I would recommend Glen as well, reasonable prices, knowledgeable technician, and friendly service.

Yeah, what dealer do you know of that has a daily scheduled customer appreciation conversation and wind-down time? :dunno

I've been very happy with the service at BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee. I've been going there since they opened about 6 years ago. Before that I've had many years of good service at their other dealership down the block called Southeast Sales (Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph, Suzuki) which is owned by the same family. Very good people to deal with.

Glen +3.

Can be really busy so it can take some time.

Matt in Milwaukee. Not a chance in He## will he EVER see one of my bikes again. Not after A half Arsed $500 service and the bike ran WORSE and SLOWER and the front brake let go on the ride back to Madison by Miller park in 70-25 mph traffic.... Got to practice lane splitting or play superman off a lexus....All I got was a BS song and dance on the issue. Should have cancelled the check.....This was on an R60/5 and since you drive a new bike it won't matter since he does airheads and back.

John Rambow

I mentioned John Rambow before and then I checked up on him to see how he is doing. He used to do my bike for me when he was at Kegel's and Rockford BMW and I have known him since before there were any slash 6's ... he has BMW dealer experience, he was at Rockford BMW till they closed, so he knows airheads and more. OK it is not really Wisconsin but it is worth the trip if you are looking for a good mech.
He is listed in the IBMWR independent mechanic section and I will paste here his 'blurb' from the email that he sent to me.

"Hello BMW riders, JOHN RAMBOW here
Friendly neighborhood BMW wrench

I was the BMW technician at Kegel Motorcycles and BMW Motorcycles of Rockford for 22 years until the shop closed. Now IÔÇÖm working on bikes at home. I can fix anything the dealers can; I even have the software to diagnose the electronics on the newer bikes.

My labor rate is $50.00 per hour, considerably less than most local dealers.

I can be reached at 815-298-0498 to make arrangements for wrenching.
My home phone is 815-874-0222, with message machine.
My E-mail address is jbdk4@comcast.net
My local address is 3012 Bavarian Ln., Rockford, IL, 61109. Mapquest works.
My global address is: N 42 deg 13.639 min. and W 089 deg 02.347 min.

Please share this info with your club members and riding friends. Thank you.

I can also do some repairs on older HDs & Asian bikes, lawnmowers, snow blowers or if it runs on fuel I can probably fix it.

A big thing I like about BMW Milwaukee is that they participate in the demo program; Mischler's does not. Mischler's asks you to test ride a bike around a flat square route of a few miles that's pretty useless. On the other hand, I spent a whole day riding the Kettle Moraine North Unit on an R1200GS and another day on a K1200GT from BMW Milwaukee, and they even paid for gas.

While my wife and I were out whooping it up on the GS, they did the 72k inspection/service on my K75RT, and it was ready to go when we rolled in just before closing time. The work was fine, the labor rate lower than Motorcycle Performance in Madison (which I don't think really has a lot of K-bike expertise, but I've heard they've got an airhead mechanic).

I've been up to Mischler's several times, and they serviced my bike with previous owners, but it IS a Harley dealership more than a BMW dealership. I'll stick with taking my bike to Milwaukee and spending the day riding a sweet new machine with my wife in the hills while they fix mine. I still use Motorcycle Performance for routine things like balancing tires, and it's fun that they're Ducati fanatics.

If you're serious about a bike, Mischlers will let you take an extended roadtest with a bike. When I bought my bike last summer, they never mentioned a roadtest route, just "go and check it out, see ya in awhile". The first one I drove a good 1/2 hour plus, the second one (same type) only 10 minutes or so, that's all I felt I needed.
But no, no demo fleet or program. Doesn't bother me, I don't think I would want to get involved in that either, having a service customer "whoop it up" with no serious intention of buying one?
I had to bring mine back for the 1st service and infamous EWS job, they gave me a bike to ride home, didn't bother me a bit it wasn't a BMW, just a UJM. I really have a problem with people who are snobs to the point they would scoff at that. NOT saying you would, just sayin'.
I wouldn't use the phraseology "more Harley dealer than BMW", I don't think that's fair. They are both. Yeah Harley places more demands on the facility for floor space and appearance, that's the way they are and I am sure it is more of their business than BMW. The place fills a niche for the area, if they don't have the BMW business to make the business float, then they need the HD brand in there (more money anyways). I just wish they would build a stand-alone BMW dealer in Madison (been tried in the past by others though and failed) and just let Beaver D be their HD shop, but I don't think it'll ever happen.
I like Bill at MP also, he did a lot of work on my bikes back when I lived in Middleton and owned Kawasakis. I let them do some failry major work on my K75 though, and that was a big turn off. To the point where I wished I would have done it myself. But I would also use them for tires, etc too. I just think the tech was in over his head on a K.
Gilly

Back