• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dealers in SE Wisconsin

I've always had my bike serviced at BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee.

Never had a problem with the quality of work or the turnaround time and most of the time, if I make arrangements in advance, they take care of the smaller service items while I wait.

It was stated earlier but I think bears repeating that BMW Motorcycles is very active with supporting the local clubs and events. For that reason I go to them first for any parts I need for any of the self-service work I do on our bikes.

Glen at Thoroughbred for all my bikes. I got ripped on a upper fairing paint job at Milwaukee that looked like it was brush painted. I have never been back since.

Have had Mischlers handle some paint work for me while the bike was getting work done over the winter, and have been well satisfied with the quality, but pretty sure it's just a local body shop doing it, but they did fine work, no complaints, fair prices.

Gilly

Yeah, Beaver Dam is bad enough, no way I have time to drive to Milwaukee for work. I can see why you'd be upset after reading that thread you linked us to, Jeff. Would like to hear more, maybe we'll meet up someplace again, has been awhile.
Anyways, I've "always" gone there, have had a few turn-offs, but for the most part am happy, never even considered another dealer when I bought the new bike last year.
The comments regarding service parts on that other thread really baffles me though, have high regard for Aaron in parts and Jason in service and always feel I am getting a good price. Maybe not better than a few dealers who give discounts for online parts sales, but a fair price and are willing to ship stuff to me post haste for a reasonable price. That really helps a lot when you are an hour or so from them and have to work.
I don't really care if the BMWs are back in the corner. It would be GREAT to have a BMW-only shop in the area, I really think Madison could support a BMW dealer now (and yeah I'd go there, where ever is closest). Maybe not back in the 80s, especially with the following C&D had in the area back then.
NOW I think a stand-alone BMW dealer would work, the product is better placed and C&D, although I never went there, is sadly gone. (RIP Bill).
But anyways, yeah Mischlers has both BMW and HD, most of the time they have a few BMWs right there in the foyer when you walk in the front door, along with the Harleys.
I don't mind going into a Harley dealer though, for Petes sake this IS Wisconsin! Nothing personal Jeff, but it strikes me wrong, as a sort of aloof: "Oh, I don't want to have to be around THOSE Harley people"
Regards, Jeff
Gilly

OH, as an aside, and for others who were loyal C&D patrons.
I really got interested in BMWs when the K75S came, out. I had been interested in those "soul-less" K bikes since they came out. Then the 75 came out, and it called me even more (I didn't think I wanted a 1000cc bike). THEN the S came out, and BMW had my number right there. So I did check around and someone (not even sure who, possibly an MSF trainer at MATC, prior to me meeting Jeff when we both took the same MSF instructor class at UW-Whitewater). HIGHLY recommended C&D BMW in Freeport IL. Also mentioned Mischlers in Beaver Dam (could not believe there wasn't a BMW cycle dealer in '87 in Madison. There had been one just prior to this time frame, I'm sure Jeff remembers the details).
So, I called C&D, and my reaction was a total turnoff. Not sure if it was Bill (who I did meet a few times later on), but conversation was similar to:
Yeah hey, I'm interested in looking at one of these K75S's, you have one in stock?
*snort" WE don't sell those things, no one wants 'em. (may have mentioned "junk" in there, may have been implied).
OH, uh, ok then. Thanks?
Yeah come on over if you want to look at an air cooled twin, we have some of those.........

So, I called Mischlers and that was when Bill Mischler owned it, and I know he was the one I talked to. I really like Bill a lot. Very old school guy, said he has one sitting on the floor right now, come on up and take it for a spin.

Gilly

I vote for Mischlers, had nothing but great service from them. I even get a loaner bike so I can get lunch & take a ride while they do the service.
Milwaukee BMW is a bust in my opinion. They scratch the crap out of my rims when I had the tires replaced, had the valves to tight on the RT so the cylinders started to overheat in Kansas City and the bike wouldn't start. The bike ran like crap till I got it home and reset the valves and synced the carbs myself. I'll never give them any business again.
I've never used Nicks, but I have heard good stuff about them.
Just my 2 cents.

I rode my RT up to Mischler's yesterday to pick up my topcase. I must admit that Mischler's is a Harley shop that sells a few BMW's. It was very clear to me who comes first between a Harley or a BMW customer. I felt like a 2nd class citizen. They were falling all over the Harley customers. I spent $1,100 on a top case, jacket, gloves and a couple T shirts. I didn't even get a thank you. The Harley people stared at me like I was someone from outer space. A guy and his wife even asked me if I ware "that helmet" all the time, even in summer. I had the only BMW in the lot except for Mischler had 4 used ones sitting in front of the store. The new BMW's are in the back corner. I was planning on having my 6,000 mile service done there. I don't want some Harley mechanic working on my bike. I think I will check out Leo's South. Gina in Iowa City is mad at me because I did not buy my bike from her and does not seem to want to do any service on mine. I gave her plenty of chances to sell me a bike but she is really firm on her pricing. Maybe you guys can give me some ideas.

Last edited:
Mischlers has been selling BMWs a long long time. As I earlier posted the 50th anniversary of the BMW franchise is next month, the 50th anniversary for Mischlers as a dealership was just a yr or two ago? It just strikes me that they are badmouthed simply because they are also (and yes mainly) an HD dealership. So if for example someone is in WI on a trip, you would rather have NO BMW dealership in that location, or an HD/BMW dealership? The comment about having a Harley mechanic work on your bike, you think they have no one there trained on BMW??
Gilly

I A guy and his wife even asked me if I ware "that helmet" all the time, even in summer. I had the only BMW in the lot except for Mischler had 4 used ones sitting in front of the store. The new BMW's are in the back corner.

You have to realize there is a lot of pull from Harley to have things looking they way they want them to. HD will barely tolerate another line of product, and yeah it get relegated to the back corners. BMW IS represented there, it can't all be laid on the dealership. Show me an HD/BMW dealer where it is set up just the opposite (HDs in the corner), it doesn't happen.

Only BMW in the lot? Yeah I've been there when it's like that, I think it's kinda cool. "Look at me, I'm not a sheep!"

The helmet comment, Ooo, could have had a lot of fun with that, my reaction would I think be " YEAH I wear this helmet all the time, how stupid do you have to BE to not wear a helmet on a motorcycle, you know humans have the uncanny ability to overlook obvious hazards, you ever think about that, huh?"
Or something like that..........
Anyways you can't hold stupid customer comments against the dealer......
Gilly

Boy with a surly attitude like that it's no wonder nobody wants to "earn" your service. :violin

I have to disagree 100% with you on their parts, sales and service. Always first rate. And it's more than a "corner" of the store.

Hey, a lot of Harley stuff there because it PAYS the BILLS. More than a lot of long gone BMW stores could say for themselves.

I really would like to apologize for my ranting about my trip to Mischler's. I did not know they were having some kind of Harley gathering when I went up there on Saturday. On the way there I was passed by a lot of Harley's. They blew by me with there straight pipes blasting. When I got there the exhaust racket was deafening as there were a lot of Harley's in the parking lot and going back and forth in front of Mischler's. The trip home was just a bad as the trip to get there. I was passed by 15 to 20 Harley's on the way to Madison. Not one had a muffler, no one wore a helmet. Just a do rag, T shirt and jeans. While I was at Mischler's the Harley riders were not friendly at all. I had my bike parked up by the front door and it got a lot of disapproving comments. I really can not blame Mischler's for my poor interaction with the Harley riders. Mischler's has been very responsive to my e-mails about service etc and Jason has answered all my goofy questions about my RT after I bought it. I should wait a few days and cool off before I go ranting about my bad experiences. I waved to every Harley rider that passed me - not 1 waved back.

+1 for Mischlers and Leo's

Mischler's has always been good for me. Been treated fairly when buying and servicing and for parts. Are they the cheapest? No. But I live in the U.P of Michigan and when I visit Art always says hi and calls me by my first name, even though he has probably seen thousands of customer pass through his doors. Free wireless internet is great to have there too as I have serviced my bike during a business trip and I was able to continue working while waiting for my service. That is service I can use. Oh yeah and as for Leo's, I bought bikes from them in 89 and '93 prior to moving to the U.P. in '98. I had an emergency service needed last summer on my way to Gillette, and while they couldn't get the part in time for me to ride my bike to the Rally, (it was in Germany) I was still able to attend on a friends bike who works at the shop, as I was a customer there many years earlier and he wasn't going. I would never have expected this from anyone at a dealership. The bike was ready for me on my way back from the Rally, washed and ready to rock.

Last edited:
People can't complain about the Wisconsin dealers. Mischlers has done good for me and I purchased two RT's from them. His and Her's. I've never felt ignored or second class in the HD side and the counter guys are knowledgeable and Jason is good. They always made sure I had crush washers.
I have been very spoiled as I moved to south-central Indiana and there isn't a choice, although the Indy dealer seems to try very hard and has a good staff. They didn't kick me out when I walked into the shop, always a good indication.

Ben

For what it's worth

Nothing bad to say about Mischlers. They are very knowledgeable and have been very helpful in my dealings with them. My preference would have to go to [B]http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofmilwaukee.com/[/B]. They have always been there in time of need. As in getting involved with a bike out of warranty to be covered at no cost to me. Went the extra mile to help out a customer in need. Didn't even buy the bike from [B]http://www.bmwmotorcyclesofmilwaukee.com/[/B]. Now that's service! Johnny and company know how to get the job done and I have never been blind sided with extra costs. Glen at http://www.thoroughbred-cycles.com/ is always another good option in time of need in Elkhorn. :beer

Back