• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery Question

rmdrc

I have a friend with a 08 GS and he has the BMW battery charger that is made for the bike. Being an Airhead I'm helping him get his 74 Moto Guzzi back on the road and it needs a new battery. He wants to be able to use the BMW charger he already has. I seem to remember reading some batterys need specific chargers. Are the BMW chargers specific for gel batterys or can they be used on any battery.

Rob

I just asked;

This same question to my BMW dealer and he said the gel battery charger should be NO issue charging the older batteries. I just replaced my '78R100/7 water battery for a new glass mat tech battery, no more service:). Found one by Deka Battery that was a perfect fit for the old girl. More amp hours too, at 35ah, even better than the original 24ah stock one..The battery chargers cannot be used the other way around, however, due to some reasons I'm unfamiliar with. The CanBus system may have an issue? Randy:usa

Anything you connect directly to the battery terminals is not part of the CanBus system.
This includes chargers and any loads you may want to have switched independantly of CanBus.
From reading around in here, I gather that the accessory jack, which was a handy charging port pre-CanBus, is switched off by CanBus shortly after the bike is shut off so you won't be able to use that route without modification.

Back