• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

9.5:1 pistons for R100; Just the pistons

TZOLK

Does anyone know where to purchase 9.5:1 pistons for an R100 without spending a WHOPPER on the whole jug(s) piston(s) kit? Does anyone have em? if so how do you like the upgrade.

What year bike?

With 9.5's and today's crappy gas you might have some problems... are your heads dual-plugged?

Capital Cycle sells 9.5's but most everything for Airheads costs a whopper these days... :cry

pistons

Its a 1990. No dual plugs, just the standard. Is 9.5:1 pushing it for these airheads? Most other style bikes have more than 8.4:1 like our stockers do. Well, most likely wont do it and probably shouldnt. Spend too much money on the damn thing as is! On motorcycle stuff in general. Hard not to.
Todd

OK, I see now! Went back through some threads, you're one of those GS/PD guys, GREAT bike! The boy has the right attitude too!

First one of those I got to ride belonged to a friend even older than me (I'm 52 now and this was a new bike then) who could maintain a blistering pace on SoCal canyon roads that would give sportbike riders fits. When I rode it I found out why. Taller, heavier, longer, and sticking out more in every direction, and with less HP than my 100S, this (your) bike was a dream to ride in the twisties! Granted, at full effort, my enhanced S felt comfy on higher speed routes, but the GS is a great bike for virtually anything else.

Personally I wouldn't mess with the original slugs. If you haven't done some "adventure touring" yet on your bike I'm sure you will, and the original 8.4's will better digest some of the questionable fuel you may encounter out there!

Scrapping the piston idea.

Yes Sir!
I will not mess around with the further drain on the checking account by way of yet another thing for the Bike...pistons. Also with increased compression comes increased heat. Im sure there will be other things that will be, um "needed."
The only problem is that The Little Women just bought an F650gs . Now the ratio in which I spend for my bike ONLY just decreased by 50%. Oh well!
Happy Motoring!!!

Todd

Back