• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I hate to ask.... R69S Basketcase Value???

K

Kirbster919

I've come across a R69S, either a 63 or 64 (memory isn't seriving me at the moment), that is a bike in a basket. The bike was originally the off white color, but had been painted black at some point.

Essentially it's a bike that ran but was tired, and is more a restoration candidate than sometime to bolt back together and ride. 97% of the parts are there, I'm going to assume it is missing some little things.

While a bike is only worth what somebody is happy to pay, what's a ballpark estimate? I have absolutely no experience with anything newer than 1975.

As far as restoration work goes, I have a rough idea of the scale of a project like this, but want to make sure its economically feasible for me to finish the project. These bikes are drop dead gorgeous, and this one has been in a box for 10 years and needs to get back on the road!

Whats a R69S worth

I suppose what ever you want to give for it or what they want for it.

Most R69S bring the best price of the 60s BMWs. One, even in riding condition will bring 7-8,000 dollars or more. A nice one will bring above $10,000.

The 67-68-and 1969 ones seem to bring the most because they have the most engine upgrades.

You need to make sure it is a 69S. Safest way to tell is check the serial number with the list at this site........ http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispages/enginechassisto69.htm.

Also check to see if frame and engine numbers match. More money for that.

If it is truly a white one I would think it would be worth even more.

Next check to see if the tell tale 69 valve covers are present, only two fins. And I think that year also had a fuel en-richiner on the handlebars.

If it is nearly complete, and most of it is usable, and the price is under about $2k, it's probably worthwhile, even if there turns out to be some very expensive work. A crank rebuild is probably about $1k. A transmission can get into that range. A top end rebuild also. Paint, pinstriping and chroming are all pricey. Some rather mundane parts fetch very surprising prices.

But these bikes are selling well above $10k when restored reasonably correctly. The top end seems to be above $20k for a bike that has original hardware down to the last bolt and nut.

A few years ago the common wisdom was $5k to buy, $5k to mechanically restore and $5k to cosmetically restore. But the prices have all gone up quite a bit.

Just reassembled the bike would probably bring close to $4k or $5k. The R69S is most sought after and I've seen crazy prices on EBay. If you can get if for less than 3 grand you'd be just about stealing it. Be prepared for the high cost of restoration, though.

Little Egypt Airheads
'66 R50/2
'76 R75/6
'80 R100RT

The numbers on the frame and motor are identical, and according to that site it is a true R69S. I'm definitely going to take a look at it this bike, we'll see if I'm up to the task of getting it back together.

I sold an R60/2 a few years ago with all the parts needed to turn it into a 900cc conversion. It was a project that had languished in my garage for a year un-touched. $3300 for the package. It's not exactly the same model, but it is an example of a real world price for a non-running but complete motorbike with numbers matching. It's was not an R69S, but it was a factory sidecar bike with all the sidecar extras in place. To my mind the valuations would be roughly equal.

Thanks for the input... I'm going to see the bike at the end of the month, so we'll see what happens.

No news yet on this bike... I haven't gotten a chance to get out to see it. It's a 3 hour round trip, so I've yet to find half a day.

Back