• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Request for Wisconsin Tech Day?

ESSNOWYT

Hello every one!

Years ago when I owned a Concours I had the opportunity to attend a tech day somewhere is Wisconsin or Illinois. About 20 other people attended and the group addressed how to do some key maintenance on their machines. Has any one ever done such an event for the BMW's in the Wisconsin area?

Is there any one that can plan an event like this? I sadly do not have the know how on the machines, or the space to host an event as I live in a condo. However I would be more than thrilled to help.

Snowy.

OK, what do you ride and where do you live? I ask because last weekend I drove to south of Madison to participate in an Oilhead tech day. I have sponsored an Airhead tech day here. Also Nick's BMW in DePere has been having tech sessions on various Saturdays during the season of poor riding (also known as winter). So, what is it that you seek?

OK, what do you ride and where do you live? I ask because last weekend I drove to south of Madison to participate in an Oilhead tech day. I have sponsored an Airhead tech day here. Also Nick's BMW in DePere has been having tech sessions on various Saturdays during the season of poor riding (also known as winter). So, what is it that you seek?

Last weekend?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I would have loved to have participated in this.

How do I find out about these (In advance)?

Thanks!

GWHIZ

Last edited:
Tech session Northern Illinois May 9th "K"-bike

Hi all,
I am hosting a tech session on May 9th that will be primarily focused on the Flying Bricks. This will be located Pecatonica, IL which is15 miles west of Rockford.

If there are any Gurus out there please speak up since we all could use some help. NOTE: People that know me say I need a LOT of help.. but I digress.

This was initially started for the 1200LT but others are welcome since the brick engine is in more than one model.

Roy

Some follow up:

I ride 2004 R1150RT, location of Germantown Wi. What am I looking to do, I don't know. I do not have much drive or ambition to do the classic valve or throttle body sync. This will take me to much time I am more open to have the dealer do this. I am interested in looking at the suspension of the machine. Is it really set correct, is the pre-load system working? With that said, I do not have aftermarket suspension, yet. But I should spend time with someone that knows more on this subject first. Can I replace the brake pads myself? Remember I have 2004 with the servo assist brakes. So I can not do a break bleed myself. (Sure, some do. I will not.) On the same subject, how does the front wheel come off? Can I remove that and take the wheel in for new tires, and not the whole bike? Again questions about the brakes.

So in truth I don't know what maintenance I will do. However, learning more of what needs to be done is never bad. Also, at the Concours tech day I had a lot of fun. I learned a lot about the bike.

I asked now as its March. I already missed the oilhead tech and Nicks. So if there was something happening, I would be interested.

Thanks every one.

Snowy.

Snowy,
I have never worked on an "R" bike so I am not much help on that subject. As far as front tire removal I would suspect that you have to unbolt the brake calipers and carefully move them out of the way. NOTE: Do NOT disconnect the brake lines or hang the calipers by the brake lines.

Roy

I'm certain that, if a few folks in the "general" area are interested in riding up in my direction, we could have a "tech day" at the shop I store my tools. Of course, with the 6-8 inches of show we're getting right now, we may have to wait a bit for that to happen. Or, since there are a couple projects I want to do on my bike, we can use it for the show-n-tell. Let me know your druthers.

I'm certain that, if a few folks in the "general" area are interested in riding up in my direction, we could have a "tech day" at the shop I store my tools. Of course, with the 6-8 inches of show we're getting right now, we may have to wait a bit for that to happen. Or, since there are a couple projects I want to do on my bike, we can use it for the show-n-tell. Let me know your druthers.

You know I'm in. Got a couple of things to do, too. :thumb

I'm really curious to see the mythical "spline lube".
Other than that I'd like to learn about everything in general.

I am very curious you know..............:scratch

:thumb

Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post I'm certain that, if a few folks in th

I'd make the ride from Amherst, WI to learn more about maintaining my 1100RT. Jerry

Back