• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet suggestions

kewlmoose

Raspberry waffles Bob!!!
I'm having problems with my neck & I'm looking for a lighter weight helmet to replace my Shubert. I have been spoiled by the flip down sun visor option so having that would be a real plus.
I know I can (and have) googled for light weight helmets & such, what I am looking for is what people are using and how well they like the helmet.
TIA!

Vemar's also comes in blue tooth and a few other colors

Attachments

• Vemar helmet.jpg
    Vemar helmet.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 689
I've got an HJC carbon fibre helmet and love it, especially the light weight. I had used Arai, but hated their incredibly cumbersome shield-changing mechanism. The HJC mechanism is great by comparison. I have the FS-10 in carbon fibre (bought in 2007). It's been superceded by the FS-15 carbon. Go to WebBikeWorld and they have the weights of all the helmets they've reviewed.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

Last edited:
helmet

Go to a big dealer and try on every brand. Some of the lighter and cheaper helmets are very noisy. Every manufacturer has a different form for the head shape. If it does not feel good when you try it on, it will never fit.

I used a Schuberth for 6 years and would have bought another one if they were available in the states. At the Gillette Rally I tried on every brand I could find. The Nolan N-3 gave me the best fit for my round head, had a great drop down sun shield and seemed well padded. I really like the fog shield that mounts inside the face shield. When they became available I bought one at my local dealer. I rate it equal or better than the Schuberth and about $300 cheaper than trying to get one overseas. With ear-plugs it is as quiet as any flip front helmet I have ever owned.

I'm having problems with my neck & I'm looking for a lighter weight helmet to replace my Shubert. I have been spoiled by the flip down sun visor option so having that would be a real plus.
I know I can (and have) googled for light weight helmets & such, what I am looking for is what people are using and how well they like the helmet.
TIA!

Hey Andy, let me know your thoughts on that Vemar Jiano. Look pretty neat, but they don't mention specs/weight. I like the sun shade. Wonder how quiet it is and you being a rounder, I would wonder about cold air infiltration. I find my Nolan allows a lot of cold air in when it's 30 degrees or colder.
I guess there's no perfect helmet for everyone. Oh well, guess I'm just thinking out loud.:dunno

Hey Andy, let me know your thoughts on that Vemar Jiano. Look pretty neat, but they don't mention specs/weight. I like the sun shade. Wonder how quiet it is and you being a rounder, I would wonder about cold air infiltration. I find my Nolan allows a lot of cold air in when it's 30 degrees or colder.
I guess there's no perfect helmet for everyone. Oh well, guess I'm just thinking out loud.:dunno

I asked Tony D to check out the Jiano for me when he went to the dealer show. I haven't seen him since then so I don't know if he saw any there or not. Hopefully he'll be at the March meeting.

Anyone have either a HJC FS-15 or a Bell Star? Both lightweight but lacking the internal visor. Bell gets good marks for venting.

Arai

I've owned a number of brands and then in 1999 I purchased an Arai, I would never buy or wear anything else, I've had six since 1999.
It provides amazing comfort and is light, they are a little more expensive but in my opinion it's worth every penny.

Just to be helpful,I'll say that the wind situation affects my neck more(it's a variable) than my Shuberth. I rode the windy strait of Tehuacan sp? a year ago and it killed my neck as did Kansas riding on many days in the past. Maybe you need another WS or neck exercises?:dunno

I'll ad that I was thinking as a former(very former) football player in that the way you deal with the neck is exercise and not just because of helmet weight(football helmets are extremely heavy just in case you are unaware) but to prevent injury. Riding down the hwy at high speeds, shaking around your head on a bumpy path , is a situation that says your neck can use some muscle tone to hold up to helmet weight,wind pressure on head/helmet and vibration. It's spring and if you have been couch potatoing the neck might need some work before long rides.

Last edited:
I reviewed the N-103 for a future issue of the Owner's News and can say that it is heavier than expected. However the aerodynamics make it feel almost on par with my Arai Quantum f. I will say that a full face non flip up will typically be lighter than any flipup.

I just picked up a new HJC FS-10. I've only used it twice, but like it a lot. I found it online at a steep discount. Nice helmet, especially for the $. I get a new helpmet every three years, I've liked the HJC a lot.

Good luck with your hunt.

Just bought another Shoei RF-1000. Can't beat it IMHO. BTW, the windshield opinion offered above may be a real answer. Since I got my CalSci windshield, both me and my wife have noticed much less neck fatigue and buffetting in the wind.

Someone mentioned a modular helmet leaking air earlier in this thread. I'd like to explore that just a little. Mine is an HJC and it too leaks to the extent that I can't wear it in cold weather. I use a full face when it's cold and I'm not really fond of full face helmets. It too is an HJC and I like it a lot for a full face helmet.

Does anyone know of a modular that will hold the air out in the winter. I really like the modular helmet 'cept for this one issue. I can ride with mine with the shield up with no problems which is the way I like to ride in the city. Out on the highway I pull it down with great results to my riding comfort and safety. I recommend it with the caveat mentioned.

BTW I also like my Nolan open face with the face shield and darkened half shield. Nolan may make the round fit as well as the oval fit. My head is large and oval. My helmet is large and round and hurts the front and back of my head when its been on an hour or so. I didn't discover this till I had worn it a few weeks so I can't send it back. So if you buy a Nolan you might keep this in mind. Buy the one that matches your head shape.

I just went to a local shop and the selection was Poor Need to get to a bigger city to find the selection.

Like the online deals but if I get it online there is no way to try on for Fit and I was told all helmets fit differently,so try on before I buy is this true?
Or can i find the size at a dealer and then get the same size online?

I just went to a local shop and the selection was Poor Need to get to a bigger city to find the selection.

Like the online deals but if I get it online there is no way to try on for Fit and I was told all helmets fit differently,so try on before I buy is this true?
Or can i find the size at a dealer and then get the same size online?

There's really no way to get the fit right without trying on the helmet. Different manufacturers use different basic shapes and even within their own lines they may have different shapes between the models. If you can find a helmet that fits correctly and then shop for the same helmet online then you should be OK, but don't expect that other models by the same manufacturer will be the same. I did order directly online but had a very good idea of the shape of helmet that fit me well and followed the manufacturers measurement directions exactly.

FWIW I use an Arai XD3 and am very happy with it. No bells and whistles like a flip down sun shield, I just carry a pair of straight temple sun glasses for that, but it's fairly light and very well made. I was a little worried about a helmet with a visor but even with my stock GSA shield I've never noticed it catching any wind. The helmet is very quiet and has great ventilation but seals up well if you need it. I've ridden down to 17 degrees in it and had no problems with cold seeping in. The enduro style isn't for everyone but I really am happy with the XD3.

Back