• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rider to Passenger Intercom Communication

Camshaft

Hello all,
I am interested in getting a communication system so my passenger can speak with me fairly clearly. We both have HJC full face helmets (AC-11 and CL-SP) and would like to find a reasonably priced unit that will last.

Because of the great reviews this forum has given Autocom units, I am leaning towards that. What can I expect to pay for a unit that is wired (could be wireless but dont want to spend extra $ for that feature) between passenger and rider with phone and mp3 compatiblity? I am a little overwhelmed by all the options and features.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Does the Active Plus Duo include TWO of those Autocom units or is it just a SOLO with a little more farkle?

Basically the answer I'm looking for is yes. All I'd need to add to the Duo is another headset/mic unit for my passenger and two FRS radios and I'd be good to go for myself, my son and my wife (on her bike).

What would i need FRS for (sorry im completly new with this com stuff)? Cant i upgrade the duo to communicate with other bikes?

What would i need FRS for (sorry im completly new with this com stuff)? Cant i upgrade the duo to communicate with other bikes?

I'm not sure that the Autocom units themselves have the broadcast and receive capability (although you can buy those radios for like $15 a pair now so it woudln't seem that difficult to incorporate)

My wife and I use a Baehr unit on our RT....it was about $400. A little pricey, but performs flawlessly. My Navigator II talks to me, and can interrupt conversation if it needs to alert you to an upcoming turn. We talk clearly, even at 70 MPH. It has the capability of MP3/Sat Radio hookup. It also has the capability of cell phone hookup it that is your desire (it certainly is not mine!!). Highly recommended, if you want a wired system.

For passenger communication the Autocom is first rate. Super clear at any speed and will make 2 up riding far more enjoyable. Basically you need the earphones and mike for two helmets and the Autocom. You can also plug in a stereo source such as an iPod and both listen to music.

The FRS radio can be added if you want to talk with another bike (or bikes), however the other bike has to have their radio set to the same channel and the ability to talk back to you so most likely they would need an Autocom type of set up as well. I currently have mine set up along with a good riding buddy who has the same on his bike so we can talk bike to bike. ( Also super clear)

The rider passenger is hard wired so they are ready to go. Keep in mind you also need a cable to go from your helmet to the Autocom and I don't believe that's included. They offer two types: A straight cable for $20 which is 36" ( Part# 1179) and a coiled cable for $30 which stretches 25" to 48". Part #1183. I've used both and either one works fine since you're not going to stretch a coiled cable it's full length.

For passenger communication the Autocom is first rate. Super clear at any speed and will make 2 up riding far more enjoyable. Basically you need the earphones and mike for two helmets and the Autocom. You can also plug in a stereo source such as an iPod and both listen to music.

The FRS radio can be added if you want to talk with another bike (or bikes), however the other bike has to have their radio set to the same channel and the ability to talk back to you so most likely they would need an Autocom type of set up as well. I currently have mine set up along with a good riding buddy who has the same on his bike so we can talk bike to bike. ( Also super clear)

The rider passenger is hard wired so they are ready to go. Keep in mind you also need a cable to go from your helmet to the Autocom and I don't believe that's included. They offer two types: A straight cable for $20 which is 36" ( Part# 1179) and a coiled cable for $30 which stretches 25" to 48". Part #1183. I've used both and either one works fine since you're not going to stretch a coiled cable it's full length.

So the Autocom box doens't come with headphones and a mic?

Autocom & Radio

I have Autocom's on both bikes and purchased the Midland radio (GXT900VP4)

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-Outfi...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235500187&sr=1-2

The price is right and you get 30mile-5 watts of power with the dual pin hookup that works with the Autocom. You can count on 1-2 miles range with these radios. With the Autocom kit you do get one extension for the included head set and will need to purchase the second headset and seperate extension for your rider. The cost adds up quick.

I'm kind of interested in this subject also. It looks like the Kit he was looking at comes with everything.

http://www.topgearaccess.com/store/i...kit200duo.html

Kit Contents
ÔÇó Active-PLUS Control Unit (1003)
ÔÇó 2x Universal (Type A) Headset with Universal Boom (1153)
ÔÇó 2x Headset Extension Lead ÔÇö Straight (1179),
ÔÇó Battery Pigtail (9V-PT)
ÔÇó Power Cable (1536)
ÔÇó Portable Stereo Lead 58"/1.5m (1307)
ÔÇó Standard Cellular Phone Interface 58"/1.5m (1240)
ÔÇó Universal Fitting Accessory Kit (1528)
ÔÇó Installation and Usage Manual

Looks like a good deal

Both my son and I run the ChatterBox CB 50 wired intercom system on our bikes.

It works well for each of us, reference listening to music from an MP3 player, and also allows us to listen to turn-by-turn instructions from our Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS units.

He rides a Honda ST1300 and I have an R1200RT.

Rider to passenger communication is also decent, albeit hard-wired.

What doesn't work well is trying to patch in a cell phone. Tried it....audible quality too poor.

Units typically cost about $75 and can be found almost anywhere (web sites, MC catalogs, dealerships, etc.).

I have a boom-mic setup in my HJC modular helmet (SyMax II) and a standard mic setup inside my full-face Shoei RF1000. My son wears an HJC modular.

We've gotten several years of hard use out of the rechargable batteries, which I recently replaced ($14.99 for a new Ni-MH battery).

www.chatterboxusa.com

Good Luck with whatever you chose!

Autocomm has a few add ons available. We have the coiled headset cords with an interface on them to plug our Etymotic earbuds into. The speakers that come with the kit work better in some helmets than others...In our Nolan 100 & 102's they work "adequately" but the earbud set up is so much clearer and crisper for tunes and when zipping at 70+. The supplied stock little boom mike works for us well. We rarely use the pilot to pillion option since we usually are on seperate bikes...the few times we have have been great. The passenger is VOX only and should be very careful with comments:brow . I have PTT on the bars for the pilots

I have Autocom's on both bikes and purchased the Midland radio (GXT900VP4)

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-Outfi...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235500187&sr=1-2

The price is right and you get 30mile-5 watts of power with the dual pin hookup that works with the Autocom. You can count on 1-2 miles range with these radios. With the Autocom kit you do get one extension for the included head set and will need to purchase the second headset and seperate extension for your rider. The cost adds up quick.

I have wondered if a remote antenna would help? Our radios lay flat in the tankbags, on occasion we try to stand them up with antenna poking out the top edge of the tankbags. Some places we have gotten 4 miles, usually 2-3.

So the Autocom box doens't come with headphones and a mic?

I think I made this confusing. The typical set comes with one set of head phones and mike. However, they are also sold as just the unit only without the headphone gear.

It's possible a rider has two bikes with Autocom, but only needs one wired helmet for both. In other cases, if wanting to ride with second passenger, then you would need an extra set for the second helmet.

I have wondered if a remote antenna would help? Our radios lay flat in the tankbags, on occasion we try to stand them up with antenna poking out the top edge of the tankbags. Some places we have gotten 4 miles, usually 2-3.

2 mile range seems pretty good. Autocom makes an external "Blade" antenna which was sold to be used with their Kenwood AV1 when they had them available. It's kind of a flat rubberized blade that was intended to be mounted internally such as inside a faring or along the frame.

I had mine routed out the back and hidden under the rear top case shelf.(1200RT) It has about a 24" wire lead that screws into the antenna port of your waki Talki and then it transitions into the blade part. Probably not great having it mounted horizontally, but I get a 2 mile range so I'm happy. If you look up the center, it looks almost like a strip of black electrical tape.
Very stealthy since no wired antenna sticking up anywhere.

Attachments

• blade antenna.jpg
    blade antenna.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 472
I have an Autocom which I bought in 2007 for a round-trip to California with my wife. It made all the difference in the world. I am very satisfied with it (Active-Plus - Kit 200 Duo). It came with everything I needed for me and my wife (pillion) and aside from rider/passenger intercom, I also use it for GPS audio and iPod. It's also capable of handling bike-to-bike (with radio, of course), phone and radar detector. I later bought another style of helmet lead for me so that I could use in-ear speakers vice the standard Autocom in-helmet speakers.

Remaining Autocom units should be attractively priced now as they are about to introduce a new line for 2009 (including some wireless). In fact, you can see them now on Autocom's UK website, though parts of the site do not yet have the content for the new products). Also be aware that Top Gear will no longer be Autocom's US distributor. It would appear that Autocom is still searching for a replacement (if you go to the UK website and scroll to find the US distributor, you're referred back to Autocom UK).

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

Intercom decision

Hello Camshaft!

While vacuming the net last winter for a Bluetooth headset that matched my demands I came upon the German make AKE.

Even though you may not go for the Bluetooth setup, take a real good look at AKEs wired systems at www.motorbike-communication.com
You??ll find the US dealers on their site.

AKE have simple systems for only Intercom all the way up to maxed out systems with hook-ups for everything, incl an Espresso machine... ;-)

Also read these reviews

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/review-ake-powercombluetooth-101.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/ake-powercom/

THEN you can make your decision... ;-)

I have no affiliation with AKE.
Why I promote them is because their products works.
And I like things that works as marketed.

Brgds,
// Taurus

Back