• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"Outback" tire irons?

Polarbear

Polarbear
Has anyone actually changed their own GS1200 tires on these nasty rims! They are really hard to work with, I've found. Traveling "far into the wilderness", has me wondering if its possible to do your own tires out there(Alaska,etc.)? I use my own tire machine at home, but have tried to do the tires with irons, before I got the changer. Found it near impossible! What irons work, "if any" and a bead breaker too...My Aerostitch Wedge and hammer do not work well at all, either. A real(portable) bead breaker is required, imo...Maybe some really long irons will work, but this gets to be rediculous for packing, carrying too much tire changing stuff. Any choices, other than a shop along the route, which are few in some areas! Randy...PS; I sure would LOVE to see a demo seminar at the rallies for this kind of tire changing:). The spoke, tubeless rims are a very tough nut to crack, imo....

Has anyone actually changed their own GS1200 tires on these nasty rims! They are really hard to work with, I've found.

Yep, I change mine. I use a tire changing stand at home, but that's just because it's more comfortable working when standing up instead of on my knees with the wheel on a pair of 2x4. I've not found them hard to work with.

As for bead breaking, I use this:
p-20090101-1409-4848.jpg

and for tire irons I use 15" curved irons from http://www.pitposse.com/16sttito.html

// marc

Have tried to do the tires with irons, before I got the changer. Found it near impossible!

Tire irons are all I've used simply because I don't want to mark my rims. And thats on the tougher to change, spoked wheels with the thick rim edges.

Its all in the technique...all in the wrist action. Google tire changing. There are a few good sites out there.

I use a pair of 12" flat Melco tire irons. If you need longer tire irons for more leverage, you're doing something wrong.

Bead Breaker

Marchyman - Where did you get your bead breaker? I just purchased Bead Brakr from Best Rest Products - I thought a little expensive-but wanted something for garage and to carry on bike. Haven't tried it yet, but I like the look of yours

Well;

All my life , been changing tires and I still find the spoke GSA rims really hard to deal with. I cannot get my irons to work, with multiple attempts. Even the tire machine suffers doing these. My BMW shop guys gang up on these too, with two guys working their machine. I watched them one day! My wife and I manage with our new machine, bolted firmly to the garage floor:)...I would love to see a seminar at the National Rally, demo'ing this proceedure with irons only:)Randy:thumb :usa

While back in the bush

I wonder if the side stand of the bike would break the bead?

I wonder if the side stand of the bike would break the bead?

yes it will, depends on which bike and which tire is flat. It just helps to have a second bike and use their sidestand, trying to lean a one legged bike sometimes becomes entertainment of its own.

All my life , been changing tires and I still find the spoke GSA rims really hard to deal with. I cannot get my irons to work, with multiple attempts. Even the tire machine suffers doing these. My BMW shop guys gang up on these too, with two guys working their machine. I watched them one day! My wife and I manage with our new machine, bolted firmly to the garage floor:)...I would love to see a seminar at the National Rally, demo'ing this proceedure with irons only:)Randy:thumb :usa

My No-Mar machine does both these well on GS spoked wheels...from bead braking to tire swapping. I use the tire irons on GW's and on F650's,though they say you can do the 650's with the tire bar.

Last edited:
Yes, the Nomar tire irons will change any tire without damage. Only the plastic part on the bottom touches the wheel. Just changed my friends Victory Hammer rear tire, it is wider than my truck tires.
The only problem is that the irons are pretty heave to carry around. But you will find none better. IMHO

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/product/show/7

HF Tools machine, I have;

With a few mods to the cheaper HF Tools m/c tire changer, I have it working swell, but to do this GSA wheel in the woods would be near impossible as I see it and have yet to find the tire iron that works. Nomar irons are new to me, I've not seen them. I'm not likely to have to remove a tire from the rim, near home, but a long long trip, may have to. I think its probably a given that one must plan well and find a m/c shop along ones route for this bike, if tire replacement is required. I will keep looking for the ultimate tire iron for this GSA spoked wheel, because I think its nice to know you can do it if needed. Randy:thumb

Back