• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which tank bag

twinotterdriver

I want to get a tank bag for my 1979 R100s airhead. I am thinking of something medium to small for handy items on a tour (camera, binos, tour guides, electronics, vision cleaning gear, a rag and, oh yes, the map). This is a flat topped tank. Any one have experience with new bags on these old bikes?

twinotterdriver

I have a Rapid Transit Recon 19 magnetic tank bag. It fits perfectly on my 83 R100RT and, to me, is the ideal size. Plus it came with straps to turn it into a small knapsack.

I ended up with a First Gear Silverstone II, the larger of the series, but still smaller than most out there. It came with a removable (zippered) magnetic base that has a map pocket, so if you just want the map/spot for a phone, you don;t have to take the whole bag. It also has straps for use as a backpack, plenty of inside storage pockets/loops for pens, etc. and came with a rain cover. I purchased the seperate strap mount for my tupperware covered K12S and notice the zipper connection from bag to mount allows the bag to move a little, due to the flex in the zippers, but the base stays very firmly in place on the bike. So far I am happy with the quality of construction. The series also has soft side bags and a tail bag, which I also purchased, and compared to the factory side bags, I got a set of 4 bags and have about $600 left to put elsewhere.

ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but won't the magnet, even if covered, leave some scuff on the tank?

I like the Wolfman Enduro (strap mount). I use it with the non-slip mat. It is one of the smaller bags but works great for general running around.

Tank bag suggestion for r12rt?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for a tankbag for an '09 RT. Something to handle maps, gloves,camera etc. Possibly expandable. Thanks, Lyman

actually the bike is in awesome shape with no rust and no scratches or scuffs over the paint...the side battery covers are a little faded, but that is about it....

so I was just wondering though if these tank bags do any harm to the paint....if the bike were to be new, your statement implicates that one should expect some scuffing.

Tank bag

I have a "Rev pack" Jr. Has a nice shape like a peanut gas tank, so it looks nice. It's water proof, has a map pocket, small stash pocket, and lots of room. Look up Rev pack on line.
Good luck
Brian

I've been using a Cortech Super Mini magnetic for several years. One must take care to keep the bottom of the bag clean and wipe dirt off the tank before mounting the bag - that will virtually eliminate any scuffing.

actually the bike is in awesome shape with no rust and no scratches or scuffs over the paint...the side battery covers are a little faded, but that is about it....

so I was just wondering though if these tank bags do any harm to the paint....if the bike were to be new, your statement implicates that one should expect some scuffing.

Sorry, I meant that my bike was far from pristine. I do wipe the dust off of the tank before placing the tank bag on. I have not noticed much scuffing of the paint from the bag but I expect some from the bag but that would be from just about any bag that rests on the paint. I also like the convenience of the magnetic mount.

twinotterdriver:

If your budget can handle it, the best bag is the BMW / Multi Vario.

I recommend you do an advanced search on tank banks here and confine it to the airhead section. You'll pull up dozens of threads and hundreds of opinions. :)

Where did you fly Otters?

Back