• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RV'ers not happy?

I know but;

Tell the 200+ Rv folks that showed up at a recent rally this, BMW's in tow. Its a obvious choice for many of our older brethren these days to do this. Our rally will be the m/c event as always, "I hope", but its not too unrealistic to imagine an middle aged/elderly organization as the MOA having these rigs show up, now is it:). Me, a "hard core tenter" still, but you never know with age and the need to splurge, if able....Johnson City is a wonderful locale and we should not dismiss these kind of sites, I agree, for RV concerns. Just some thoughts/concerns for RV's...Randy

Nothing against RV's. Some folks enjoy both bike riding and RV's. With the tough requirements for a rally site, to add RV accommodations seems to be another hoop that we shouldn't put in the way of an otherwise great site.

There are some of us who have physical or medical conditions that prevent us from camping in a tent but who like to be at the rally rather than being in an offsite motel. When you have many thousands of members attending, there are quite a few with the need.

When AARP and BMW team up to create the BMWRVOA 2010 rally, it will seem necessary to make special accommodations for RV'ers.. Otherwise, I say.. this is a motorcycle club. Let's all ride there. Riding's more fun anyway.

After RV's where does the MOA draw the line? We gotta make space for airplanes, and gotta have it by a river so people can bring their boats..

When AARP and BMW team up to create the BMWRVOA 2010 rally, it will seem necessary to make special accommodations for RV'ers.. Otherwise, I say.. this is a motorcycle club. Let's all ride there. Riding's more fun anyway.

After RV's where does the MOA draw the line? We gotta make space for airplanes, and gotta have it by a river so people can bring their boats..

There are a lot of thoughts that come to mind, but I'll simply attribute the remarks above to youth . Was it really necessary to be insensitive to others?

Kind of narrow minded of you dude or narcissitic!

Damn low, damn low. :stick

Ssssssshhhhhhhh

I was going to post a comment but now I'm afraid I might say something wrong or God forbid not PC... hmmmm.:sick

What does it have to do with age? I had a severe back injury 37 years ago at age 24 (doctors said I should not be able to walk) and I appreciate every day I can ride my motorcycles. My RV helps make rallies possible.

I was parked beside a motorhome at the RA rally in Shelbyville a few years ago. The occupant was coming to his last rally. He had terminal cancer and wanted to go to one more motorcycle rally before he died.

I have too;

I have picked on some of my friends for the RV thing at rallies, too, but its been in fun. If they have the means and the want to go that way, I'm aok with it:). The MOA has and will be a m/c riders rally and the majority will ride and camp in tents for the forseeable future anyways. I am not going to put down my RV friends and they are so very welcome, as always. I also know all sites cannot be perfect for everybody and the majority of this org. is still on two wheels and the rally sites with extras for RV,s, are icing on the cake. Always "consider" the minorities is all I ask, because we "all" will be one someday and wish for the same:). Happy Trails, Randy....Go Johnson City, be ready, we're coming:)

A Sea of RV's...... let's not

I think the operative words are 'accommodate' vs 'attract'. I think the MOA has always (and will continue) to accommodate a limited number RV's as best as they can. Accommodation is a good thing - to a point. I don't think we should try to 'attract' them to increase attendance. I would hate to think that a great future rally location would be passed over because it didn't have a large number of full RV hookups.

Just my $.02
P.S. I also own a full size travel trailer and love that style of camping too.

just an idea

Park the RV at your friendly Super Walmart, and ride over to the rally.

Plus'
No trailer queen jokes.
Consumption fo less alcohol

Minus'
Consumption of less alcohol.
Can't stumble "home" after too much alcohol.

Has the RV population ever impacted the tenters ability to set up? (i.e. Taken up too much space, or prime spots)
This would be my only concern

G Whiz

From our membership page:
The aim of BMW MOA is communication, based upon the mutual sharing of individual ideas, talents, concepts and experiences; so the knowledge and enjoyment of our sport will substantially increase through collective education and participation

Does it matter so much how the member gets to the rally as long as the member gets there?

:hungover Sorry, I was joking.. based on recent threads about this being an "old mans club." Really, I didn't mean to offend.

:hug

But, as I said, this is a motorcycle club..

As long as you are there? Would one of you RV'ers please invite me to stay with you at the rally... Certainly beats the hard ground...and possibly having to sleep next to the snoring Tessler or Paulbach....:thumb

That WalMart idea:)

WalMart does allow campers in their lots and previous rallies have had one of those stores closeby. I don't know where they cut the line though! Is a Walmart near our Johnson City Rally? May be a choice a few would take advantage of. Gillette, many did this before the rally got started. I can see it now, a Beemer RV Rally at WalMart:). Lima, Ohio had a WalMart right next to the rally grounds and stayed busy with BMW folks shopping. We need to know where the WalMart is:). Its never been an issue of space on the grounds, RV's vs. tents as I know it. I've been to 6 of the last 7 rallies and the only reason I started this thread was the numbers of these RV's has increased, especially one year over 200 showed. Thats a lot of money and fancy camp'in goin on. I like it, but have yet to submit my m/c life to trailering my Beemer. I love those that do, however as they are Beemer folks too and have interest:). Randy:usa

Good Morning,
I am new around here but thought I would offer what little info about the RV camping that we have. My husband and I visited the area about a month ago to see the site of the rally and to check out campgrounds. We really wanted to be onsite so we could volunteer and help out in any way we could. We figured it would be easier if we were onsite and available much of the time. With that being said, and after checking out the other campgrounds in the area we have secured a spot at the Rocky Top Campground which is located about 13 miles from the Rally site. The 13 miles offers a nice little scenic backroad ride straight into the rally site. The campground is located in a very country setting with limited sites so I wanted to let others know about it. We would enjoy having neighbors that are also attending the rally. Just beyond this campground, take a left, and a KOA campground is located on the right. We checked em both out and Rocky Top is more accomodating for the size rig we have. We checked out the State Park also. It was the least accomodating for our rig, seemed to be more for smaller rigs. At the State Park, they don't do reservations, first come, first serve, and are usually filled that time of year. We had originally planned to come into the rally a day or two early to secure a camping spot on site and volunteer with whatever we needed to help with. However, the spots at Rocky Top are limited so we went ahead to secure our spot there. If anyone else is interested, it is Rocky Top Campground, 496 Pearl Lane, Blountville, TN. 423-323-2535

My fantasy is to go to the National in a 30' RV powered by a 350 HP Cat, with an R 1200 S and and HP2 Moto in the tank. :)

Fridge full of cold beer, Leslie Feist on the stereo, and a cute gal in the first officers' seat...

Back