• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tent Camping

Texpaul

Lost again
When can we expect some pictures of the tent camping area? Wondering if we can expect some shade.

I took this picture at the rally site last summer. I would feel confident making the assumption it is the main camping area. There may be other areas to camp. I believe down along the tree line would provide afternoon shade.

P7250636.jpg

Shade???

We don' need no steenking shade! We gon' be too busy ridin', rallyin' an' havin' fun to be sitting around in the shade! :dance :eat :clap :drink :buds :bliss :boldpurpl :beer :rofl

After 17 Nationals, I can safely tell you to never expect shade and bring a tarp if it is that important.
:wave

After 17 Nationals, I can safely tell you to never expect shade and bring a tarp if it is that important.
:wave

AMEN!

I've been to 18 Nationals so far, and usually, the only shade is man-made. Bring enough to be comfortable in "tent suburbia"

Folks, let's look at the big picture.:lurk If we have the attendance numbers that we are expecting, then we are talking about 6000 TENTS ! Tight living, but it's a lot of fun.:dance

Plan accordingly, and look forward to a great rally!

I'll see you in the Beer Tent!:drink

Hey Rob,

Last week during Daytona week and B3 Rally, I picked up a used Kelty shade with the three long poles.... the guy didn't want to take it down....so I got it used and good price...about 1/3 of new one... really nice to put over the tent...

Did this one have poles?

See you at STC...

Watch out though!

Every recent rally, we have had "big storms" and these shade tarps have to come down quickly, if you value them:). I have one too and know! Just be prepared to get r down quickly as the wind blows...Randy I'm still debating Tennessee, coming from the far west and know its going to be a hoot, with large attendance, I feel...The larger rally and I HOPE the powers that be get the facilities right, like SHOWERS, POTTIES, etcetc.....Lots of "food vendors" TOO. We have had "let downs" in some years, with all the above! Please get the shower big rigs(many) in there, as they work best, imo.....Wiscosin(West Bend) had the Porta Potty thing done "right" with plenty. Vermont? Who did that??? Happy Trails, Randy

Every recent rally, we have had "big storms" and these shade tarps have to come down quickly, if you value them:). I have one too and know! Just be prepared to get r down quickly as the wind blows...Randy I'm still debating Tennessee, coming from the far west and know its going to be a hoot, with large attendance, I feel...The larger rally and I HOPE the powers that be get the facilities right, like SHOWERS, POTTIES, etcetc.....Lots of "food vendors" TOO. We have had "let downs" in some years, with all the above! Please get the shower big rigs(many) in there, as they work best, imo.....Wiscosin(West Bend) had the Porta Potty thing done "right" with plenty. Vermont? Who did that??? Happy Trails, Randy

There should be plenty of facilities available if the "powers that be" contacts them. The area hosts thousands of campers twice a year for the NA$CAR race at BIR when 160,000 folks show up for the race. I'm sure the people at the track have contact information for the potty and shower vendors. The location of this rally makes the possibility of a "big storm" less than average. When storms hit the mountains around here, they tend to break up and hit a limited area (of course, the rally location might be a limited area).

BYOS (bring your own shade)

I love my MSR Parawing!!:dance It stays up in anything shy of a tornado....(I don't want to see that happen though)

Kelty Tarp

Nice Score

The Kelty Tarp is the numer 3 item on my Camping Wish/Need list..

1. Coffee Pot
2. Chair
3. Kelty Tarp w/ Poles. (9' would work, but I'm going for the 12' for my 1.5 man tent)

Where did you get that?

I've been prowling on ebay for well of over a year. I didn't want the big tarp (Noah 16?). I really wanted the Noah 12 but didn't want to spend the fifty bucks for it. I'm starting to become a cheap SOB in my old age:violin

Instead, I actually found it on craigslist in Chicago. Paid the guy via Paypal. If I really like the Noah 9 then I'll keep it. Otherwise, I'll sell this bad boy and get the one I wanted- the Noah 12.

Did this one have poles? See you at STC...

Hi Don,

No, but I have a ton of old tent poles laying around. I need to test this out before heading to the Iron Horse next month.

I really can't wait to do some real ridin' with you guys again!
:thumb

Nice Score

The Kelty Tarp is the numer 3 item on my Camping Wish/Need list..

1. Coffee Pot
2. Chair
3. Kelty Tarp w/ Poles. (9' would work, but I'm going for the 12' for my 1.5 man tent)

All at REI stores. Or you can get the jet boil from our friends at micatech.net. The case manufacturers.

I am interested to hear/know the effect of hauling one super big folding chair sideways on the back of my bike. Just never tried it yet...

I love my MSR Parawing!!:dance It stays up in anything shy of a tornado....(I don't want to see that happen though)

+1.

Should it get nasty fast with the parawing I just pull the poles out.

When the blow is over I just put the poles back in and never need to adjust the lines.

I will say that the wing is fine when most of the others are down.

I had my parawing drop shipped to Spokane almost five years ago and with simple care it is still as good as new.

Back