Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tent Packing - Just Stuff It?

Manfred
    I understand the creasing that happens when you fold up a tent. Regarding rolling a tent up - don't ya have to fold it up a bit before you roll it up? I have a 2 man tent I take and it's too big to roll up without folding it in half once or twice.

Regarding stuffing a tent - do ya'll mean to merely stuff it into the bag as one would do with a rag? I'm trying to picture stuffing a tent that has a stiff floor and several reinforced seams and it doesn't seem to work in my head.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    That's why they call them stuff sacks.

Take a corner of the tent, stick it in the bottom of the stuff sack, and keep stuffing material into the stuff sack until there is no more tent to insert.

I stuff things into the stuff sack in the reverse order I'll need them when I un-stuff the tent. The fly goes in first, followed by the tent body, followed by the ground cloth, followed by the stakes on top. That way, if it's windy or rainy, I can stake out the ground sheet and use it as a dry/clean place to take out the tent body, get that set up and staked out, and then put on the fly. Nothing blows away and everything is where you expect it to be when you need it.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by 86755 View Post
    A few years ago in Backpacker Magazine's annual "Gear Guide" an article about tents mentioned that most manufacturers recommend stuffing tents into bags so as to not create creases. Creases=weakened fabric and waterproofing (as someone mentioned above).
    I don't know what your definition of creases is, but I don't know how to stuff a tent into it's sack or fold and roll it without creating creases. I think the advantage of stuffing versus folding and rolling is that the creases do not occur over and over again in the same place.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
    I understand the creasing that happens when you fold up a tent. Regarding rolling a tent up - don't ya have to fold it up a bit before you roll it up? I have a 2 man tent I take and it's too big to roll up without folding it in half once or twice.

Regarding stuffing a tent - do ya'll mean to merely stuff it into the bag as one would do with a rag? I'm trying to picture stuffing a tent that has a stiff floor and several reinforced seams and it doesn't seem to work in my head.
    Yup. Just stuff it. First, slide poles down the side (carefully), then... Stuff the tent, etc. in reverse order to the way you'll put it up: Fly in first (if there is one), then tent, then ground cloth/footprint. We usually use a Noah's tarp over the tent, etc. so that goes in last... we can set up the tent under the shelter of the NT in case of rain.

P
    Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
    R1150R Rockster, Limited Edition!

I don't care for wadding up my tent.... errr, sorry, I mean 'stuffing'

I quickly and loosely fold it over 2 or 3 times until it is about the right width and then roll it up with my tent poles in the middle. It is never folded the same way so repeated creasing is not a worry. I have found it packs quicker and smaller than stuffing.

Oh, and while we are at it - great taste, Michelin tires, Castrol Dino oil, BMW gel battery - my 'Swiss Army' answer to the other great mysteries of the universe.
    Neal - '09 R1200GS / '81 R65

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post

Warning! If you store things separately be sure that you bring all the parts with you. I have been camping with folks who didn't find out until they got where they were going that they forgot the pegs. It wasn't a free standing tent. We made do. I haven't seen someone forget their poles, yet.

// marc
    I'll fess up. My poles won't fit into my tent's stuff sac. I went on a solo trip to Sonora Pass, backpacked for a few miles, then stopped to pitch the tent under a tree. Uh oh, no poles. I was able to tie the peaks of the tent to the tree. I didn't even have to move the tent!
    John and Tena Gallagher
    '06 R1200RT
    '75 R90S
    '66 R69S

I stuff sleeping bags. I stuff our tent.

I stuff them into compression sacks.

Mountain Hardwear recommends you stuff, rather than pack. That's how they deliver it and that's what they tell you to do. One of our tents is now going on 15 years old and still works fantastically well.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    I stuff sleeping bags. I stuff our tent.

I stuff them into compression sacks.

Mountain Hardwear recommends you stuff, rather than pack. That's how they deliver it and that's what they tell you to do. One of our tents is now going on 15 years old and still works fantastically well.
    stuff when on your trip, but store loosely.

most good gear (sleeping bags) come with 2 sacks. small compression sack for trips, big bag for storing. if you store them compressed the will develop seams.