• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shameless Trolling - For Touring Tips

PAULBACH

The Touring Tips Jar is almost empty. So here is the solution and challenge.

My kids gave me this great puzzle calendar. Check back each day for a new brain teaser or trivial challenge. But be forewarned - the real reason for this is to get some more Touring Tips. Don't forget to include your
Name - MOA #
City, State

with each Touring Tip. Thanks for joining in. If you just want to look and watch the fun, that is OK also. Just send me a Touring Tip via email or a PM.

Here is today's puzzler and the answer will be posted tomorrow:

GIGANTIWORD
Fill in the blanks to complete the 14-letter word below. (Easy word - but I missed it)

H _ _ _ A _ _ ER _ _ N _ C

Come back tomorrow for the answer and in the meantime send me a Touring Tip

Last edited:
H _ _ _ A _ _ Er _ _ N _ C

Hypoallergenic

Doug, Fort Collins #104910
CO

And here's a touring tip: go to your Ace or other hardware store where you get spare keys made and buy several of the steel cable key rings. You twist and turn to open and close them. They make great attachment points for various light weight attachments. I use them with mesh bags which you can then attach to your other soft luggage or duffels and use to put wet clothes into. Air dry while you're riding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Munchy:
goodjob.jpg

You Rock!

OK Here's a bonus for being such a great audience

In each row, change the first letter of the two words to a different letter (the same letter for both) to form two new words. Write the new letter in the blank. These letters will form a word reading down.

MACE_____SLAG
VISE_____EELY
BATH_____EMIT
LIFT_____WAIT​

Last edited:
The answer to that would be frog.My tip-when traveling with other riders have your 'signals' sorted out ahead of time so you know how to convey a stop etc.. to each other. Ed moa#117413

Last edited:
How many tires in the window

goodjob.jpg

Rebake has it right! The answer to post #3 was FROG
For today, 2/20/2009 - a numbers question:

There was a contest to count the number of tires in a dealer's window.
  • Bubba guessed 27,
  • Dawg guessed 26,
  • Mika guessed 23,
  • Visian guessed 20, and
  • SIBUD guessed 25.
One guesser was off by 1, two were off by 2, one was off by 5, and one was correct.

What was the correct number of tires?

And thanks to BONEY for a Touring Tip which should appear in the May magazine.

Don't forget to include your

First & Last Name - MOA #
City, State

as usual...

i am the most clueless.

and SIBUD was correct.

tip: find a piece of ~8" diameter PVC pipe. cut a piece to about 4" long, then cut into quarters. drill a small hole in one corner of it, tie it to your tankbag with a piece of cord. give the other three pieces to friends.

when placed curved side down, this makes a superior sidestand support when parking on a muddy/sandy/soft mushy grassy spot.

(kudos go to Fred Reed of Lolo, MT)

ian schmeisser - 50592

goodjob.jpg

Good job - Visian
Sure sure, I notice who got the answer immediately. Nice job and thanks for the touring tip.

OK since it is so early in the day lets throw out a bonus question.

What animal migrates to Texas annually to participate in the largest gathering of mammals in the world? Hint: not an MOA club on the way to a cookout
Everyone is Texas should get this one! Right? :bolt

goodjob.jpg

Good job - Visian
Sure sure, I notice who got the answer immediately. Nice job and thanks for the touring tip.

OK since it is so early in the day lets throw out a bonus question.

Everyone is Texas should get this one! Right? :bolt

If you've never seen them come out in the evening it is amazing. They can be tracked on weather radar. They travel all the way to Mexico each night, and eat several times their weight in insects. They are almost solely responsible for the demise of the Boll Weavel in Texas. You must ride the Batbus to Devil's Sinkhole near Rocksprings sometime..........simply amazing.

Bud Meade

Last Lifetime Member

Nashville, IL

I always carry some latex gloves. It keeps dirt and grease out of my riding gloves when I have to get my hands dirty while on the road and there is no place to wash my hands.

I have the tire pressure numbers written on the inside of my glove box. When I open the lid to get the tire gauge I also see the correct pressure.

While I keep the state registration under my rear seat, I keep a copy in my tank bag where it is easier to find if I have a conversation on the side of the road. However, it is like carrying an umbrella to keep away rain. :laugh

If staying at hotels, I print out a list of all hotels with confirmation numbers and phone numbers (in case plans change). Having it all on one paper makes it easy to keep track while on the road.

Like a sailor who never uses only one method to navigate, don't believe everything your GPS tells you about a route. Compare the suggested GPS route with paper maps or a online map source.

Like camping, after a trip, review what you took and didn't use. Write it down and review the list the next time you pack.

What is the lightest weight, multi-purpose, easy to use tool you can carry on your bike? The Anonymous Book

I always try to carry a back issue of ON on the road. Good recruiting tool when you meet a BMW rider who is not yet a member.

One tip I now use, with the help of modern technology. If you are in an area with cell phone service, the GPS on the phone (iphone, etc) is the most up to date you can get. It also gives you a satellite or hybrid (satellite combined with map) view which you can zoom to guide you to where you are going. Also, the Apps for the iphone, like Urban Spoon, will help you find a good restaurant nearby by category of food, and is updated regularly. I use it as a backup to my Navigator II.

Bud Meade

Last Lifetime Member

Nashville, IL

I always carry ... not yet a member.

WOW! That just about gets me through June!

goodjob.jpg

Thank you Bud

If you've never seen them come out in the evening it is amazing. They can be tracked on weather radar. They travel all the way to Mexico each night, and eat several times their weight in insects. They are almost solely responsible for the demise of the Boll Weavel in Texas. You must ride the Batbus to Devil's Sinkhole near Rocksprings sometime..........simply amazing.
Right! Bats

goodjob.jpg

Thank you hlothery

I'm just going to use some of the tougher questions. This forum overwhelms the material so far. :laugh

Hi Paul.

Have custom made (Home Depot etc.) helmet cable cut to the length that will allow it to lock to the bike's helmet lock and through the passenger foot peg support. This will not get caught in the rear wheel when riding but you will always have your helmet cable handy when stopped. Surprisingly, the cable does not seem to get dirty.

Check out the travel section in drugstores for a hand cleaner bottle that comes with a self-locking attachment that will allow you to attach the bottle to the outside of your tank bag. This will always keep your hand cleaner handy without having to rummaging to find it.

If you have an expandable tank bag that is not fully expanded, use a carabiner to keep the section closet to you from expanding further.

For my tank bag, I had a custom made strap to keep the bag as small as possible. I inserted two large key rings in both leather side tabs for the strap to run through. Now I just clip or unclip the strap when dealing with items in the tank bag.

On my tent bag, strapped to the passenger's seat, I have on either side, a carabiner which is useful for hooking to the helmet's D ring if I need to only briefly and safely perch the helmet somewhere.

When travelling I keep a wallet with one credit card and some but not a lot of cash, in an outside pocket for paying for gas and food. I do keep another wallet zipped in an inside pocket of my riding jacket with more money, credit cards, insurance, license and my passport. If somehow I or someone should misplace/relieve my outer wallet, I have still have the important identification and most of the cash with me.

I keep a change purse ($20 in bills and coins, toll ticket) in either my tank bag (easily accessible) or in another pocket. When I approach a toll booth, without removing gloves, I simply hand the purse to the toll operator to take whatever is necessary to settle my bill.

I make a blank diary for the year with headings for gas, food, motels, as well as a blank day for each riding day for notes on my thoughts of the day. This is only useful for anal types (like me). This diary I keep in the bottom of my tank bag with the rain cover. There it is handy at gas fill ups when the tank bag is flipped back. When I enter the data on my computer, each day's costs and fuel mileage are automatically calculated.

I frequent McDonald's on the road and buy an ice cream cone when I need a rest. At the same time, I ask if I may fill my camel pak with ice. This free ice slowly melts giving me several hours of ice water.

When I finish taking a sip of icy cold water from my camel pak, I blow back into the the tube. This keeps the tube empty and the next sip some ten minutes later is also good and cold. Otherwise, the water left in the tube gets heated from the sun.

To keep hydrated when riding, like clockwork, I sip water from my camel pak every ten minutes.

I carry a 2 litre camel pak in my tank bag for travelling. I also keep a 1 litre backpack one in a pannier, outside of the inside storage bag. On occasion, when there has no place to refill, I have a backup supply.

This may seem obvious and only once have had need for this tip, but I keep a complete set of backup keys with me when I travel. I know that not everyone does this. Once the trunk key broke in two in the lock; fortunately there was enough extending that could pull it out with my finger nails and then use the backup for the remainder of the trip.

Like SIBUD, I always take a couple of pairs of thin latex gloves that are used when checking my tire pressure.

A few plastic ties take up no space, but on occasion are needed to tie something together.

My tank bag carries four tie down straps, just in case when travelling on a ferry they only use ropes, or god forbid, if I should have to be towed, I have straps that might fit around my bike's frame more easily than a tow truck operator's. These straps can also come in handy for securing an additional bag to your bike if you pickup souvenirs on your travels.

After gathering a few souvenirs on the road, and coming to the realization that some of my gear is no longer needed, I make space by mailing said items home to myself. It is not uncommon for me to do this at least twice on a trip.

Hope that some of these are useful for you Paul.

Paul F. Ruffell #119204
not quite the last lifetime member - SIDBUD held his cards longer

I carry a few pairs of Nitrile gloves. (these are the blue or purple ones that are basicly the same as latex but more resistance to chemicals)

I carry some "camp soap" This works better than Dawn (in cold water) and will work in hot or cold, fresh or brine water.

I carry a canteen of water for emergency (this is in addition to drinking water like Cammelbak) You never know when water is needed to flush bugs out of eyes. I also carry a metal canteen cup.

I carry a container with toilet paper and hand wipes. (needs to be waterproof, a small plastic coffee can w/screw on cap is best but a zip loc bag will suffice) Also a small garden type weeding shovel.

I carry extra zip locs, and trash bags in case of rain.

I carry one entire set of clothes (inc shoes) in a easy to get to zip loc. (much easier to just grab the zip loc of dry clothes that dig through panniers in rain.)

I try to get all electrical EQ that uses AA batteries (flashlight, volt/amp meter, radar detector, radio, camera..etc)

In addition to a first aide kit I also carry elastic bandage, Pepto Bismal, Amodiun AD, Snake Bite kit, Tuck's pads and Tums. Meds & vitamins for at least four extra days.

Of course I always carry the basic on road repair kit. (tin foil, toothpics, emery cloth, lighter or water proof matches (weather you smoke or not), bailing wire, master link w/chain bikes, zip ties and of course duct tape) This is in addition to tool kit!

To facilitate gas stops, carry a credit card in the wrist pocket of your jacket. I get two cards from the card issuer, so the jacket card is always there and doesn't have to be moved to my wallet. I keep a $10 or $20 in there too, especially if I know there's a toll crossing on my route.

For visor cleaning, carry a sopping-wet (old!) washcloth in a ziplock baggie, along with a softer cloth (old diapers are excellent) for drying.

Last edited:
To facilitate gas stops, carry a credit card in the wrist pocket of your jacket. I get two cards from the card issuer, so the jacket card is always there and doesn't have to be moved to my wallet. I keep a $20 or $20 in there too, especially if I know there's a toll crossing on my route.

For visor cleaning, carry a sopping-wet (old!) washcloth in a ziplock baggie, along with a softer cloth (old diapers are excellent) for drying.

I made it easy for myself for the coming riding season - if it ever gets here. Six more inches of snow this morning.

But check out www.speedpass.com

Speedpass is free to get (my favorite price) and free to use the device. Unfortunately the gasoline you pump is not free. The device is a small dongle that you just touch to the gas pump and that is all you have to do. I think it works at most Mobil and Exxon pumps.

The charge for the gas gets put on any credit card you designate ahead of time. So use an existing credit card account. It can all be done on line.

Put your rain suit in a compression sack.

In reverse order of donning please. (do this with your tent too.)

If you have 2 mark them clearly so you are not trying to put on your Sigy-Oh's small in the deluge.

Put it on BEFORE it starts raining...

Last thing in should be a plastic shopping bag or a motel shower cap. Put it over your boot, your rain pants will go on MUCH easier.

Rain boots.. Spray them inside with silicone. Much easier to put on, especially if you didn't listen to 'BEFORE'...

Neck opening leak??? I put a web strap around my rainsuit collar and pull it tight to close the opening... Not too tight... haha...

Get a headlamp. Hands free... Beautiful.

Carry a bag of Fritos to start fires with... JUST TRY IT!!! Light one.. 4" of flame.. FAT and OIL, yummm.... Good with dip after the fire is going too... I prefer Scoops...

Tie a long string around your sidestand pad, with a loop you put around your mirror. You may drive away without picking it up, but it will follow you.. (my buddy Scott Bodeigheimer invented the sidestand pad with a string.. Told him to patent the idea... He could be rich now..)

Keep your cell phone ON YOU.. It does you no good if it's on the burning bike 100 feet away and your foot is behind your head...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Pffog:

Would you provide a little more information about these Mylar blankets.
  • Cost
  • Source
  • Uses
  • Sizes
Sounds like one of them would be a useful piece of touring gear. I notice how runners in the Boston Marathon are wrapped in a silver sheet when they finish the race. Always thought it was because Boston can be mighty cold that time of year.

About $1-$2 ( http://www.firstaidmonster.com/product_info.php?products_id=6905 )
They are about the size of a cell phone when folded, but very light, they open up to about 4x7 feet.

As well as first aid for shock, which is going to be present in any trauma injury, the could be used as:
An emergency waterproof or sun proof shelter.
Replace a tent fly left home, torn, blown away in the wind.
Replace a torn or forgotten ground cloth.
They are shinny silver so could be a signal device if lost in the wilderness.
Could be used to make a solar still for collecting water in the desert.
A cloth to collect fluids, and errant parts during a road side repair.
A waterproof cover for the tent or sleeping bag strapped to the rear of the bike.
A waterproof poncho if you cut a couple of holes in it.
And of course, as an emergency blanket, or a supplemental layer on a cold night.

I am sure there are hundreds more.

They are pretty tough and can be refolded, although the reflective coating suffers with a lot of use.

I carry one in my bag of first aid supplies and in the coat of my ski jacket, should I ever be on a lift that quit and be stranded for a period of time, I would have my own little wind and waterproof shelter.

Richard Stearns
Batavia, NY

Last edited:
Red
What do you carry in your medical kit? Do you have gear to deal with trauma? Do you have prescription-only meds like antibiotics and serious painkillers? How big is your kit?

My first aid kit consists of 2-3 pairs of nitrile gloves, a couple of fabric cravats (triangular bandages), some 3x3 and 4x4 gauze pads, a roll of gauze, a roll of first aid tape, the space blanket, a CPR pocket mask, some band aids, some butterfly type band aids, some antibiotic ointment packets, some alcohol wipe packets, along with a few other odds and ends. All this fits in a ziplock sandwich bag to keep it contained and dry, and I keep a few kits around, so I usually have one with me regardless of the vehicle, or set up, one in the tank bag, one in the removable bags, and even one tucked under the seat cowl on the R11S, if it is a short ride.

BUT the best thing to carry is KNOWLEDGE!!! None of this stuff is worth a flip with out some basic first aid knowledge. Most Red Cross chapters, community colleges, and a lot of fire departments offer some basic first aid courses that could save a life, take the time and learn some basic skills, beyond CPR.

I go prepared, because nothing is worse, to me, than feeling helpless in any situation. I guess I would have been a good boy scout.

Richard Stearns
Batavia, NY

Last edited:
tipofhat3.gif

Good Job SIBUD.
Gold and Paper are the right answers.

And For Today:

My watch loses six minutes every hour. I set my watch at 7 A.M. using an accurate clock. Now, the time on my watch reads 1:45 P.M.
What is the correct time?

Last edited:
Back