• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vegas to Grand Canyon

mgordon

I'm planning to rent a bike in Vegas and ride out to the Grand Canyon. Any guidance here on renting, and the trip? Also, anyone know of a good B&B in the Grand Canyon?

Cheers,
Mike

Just a thought, but you might want to add a few details...when are you going, North Rim, South Rim, circumnavigate the whole thing...etc. etc. It's a BIG canyon...

Haven't lived down that way for a long time, but generally I sort of preferred the North Rim with fewer crowds, but the South Rim does have more accessible spots.

And beware...if you stay in Utah on a Sunday you won't be able to get a post ride beer at a store!

Cheers,, Bill J :drink

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Don't really know the area at all! We'll only be in Nevada/Vegas for about 4 days, so it's really the quickest possible ride-by of the GC. We really will only have time for a National Lampoon moment, if you catch my drift.

We're travelling down Mid-March, avoiding Spring Break.

Cheers!

In mid-march you may not want to ride to the Grand Canyon, North Rim will most likely still be closed at that time. Though truth being told haven't been there in some time, but it used to be closed all winter. And even the South Rim approaches may have snow at that time of year, that's all part of that northern Mogollon rim region of Arizona, and it's a lot higher elevation than you might think.

But...there are some interesting areas (Red Rock Canyon NP, Valley of Fire SP,etc) within reasonable riding distance from Vegas. Vegas to South Rim is probably close to 300 miles. Loop thru Valley of Fire could easily be done in an afternoon.

I may be headed down towards Southern Utah / North Rim GC later this year...but probably not until late May or June....

Have FUN!

And remember the Nevada State Motto....Keep Nevada Green, Bring Money! ;)

Bill J

Think about going to Death Valley.
It has has some good rain and they think there will be a good flower bloom this year. That would be going on in mid march.
Rooms in Death Valley may by full, call ahead.
Beatty NV has lot of rooms and is a short ride.

Mid-March on the south rim of the Grand Canyon on two wheels runs the risk of encountering snow. I've been down on the river in April and have seen snow on the rim above. The north rim is 2,000' higher than the south rim, but the south rim is still vulnerable to snow through mid-April.

I'll second the vote for Death Valley. The Kaibab Plateau (what the Colorado River cut through to make the Grand Canyon) averages between 5,000 - 7,000 feet in elevation, and thus has a risk of snow into spring.

Thanks guys. Death Valley looks good!

If you've not been to the Grand Canyon don't miss it. We ride up from Tucson in the winter. Not much snow but mornings will be cold. Try south out of Vegas over the Boulder Dam, south to Kingman, I-40 to Williams. Good overnight. Next morning North to the Canyon. Ride the rim east. Return same way. Over night Kingman next day Vegas. This is quick and great scenery not to mention lower elevations until you hit the rim. Very little moisture this time of year.

Cheers,
Jack

If you've not been to the Grand Canyon don't miss it. We ride up from Tucson in the winter. Not much snow but mornings will be cold. Try south out of Vegas over the Boulder Dam, south to Kingman, I-40 to Williams. Good overnight. Next morning North to the Canyon. Ride the rim east. Return same way. Over night Kingman next day Vegas. This is quick and great scenery not to mention lower elevations until you hit the rim. Very little moisture this time of year.

Cheers,
Jack

Jack, sounds like a good plan...will look further into the weather. We're only flying to Vegas, not interested in the strip--the ride is where it's at.

BMW Motorcycles of Las Vegas rents bikes. You need to reserve in advance. Their website spells out the rules (or it did last time I looked).

Also the Harley place in Henderson rents....

You can rent a New BMW at BMW of Las Vegas (702) 454-6269. As for accommodations at the Grand Canyon El Tovar is very nice but pricey.
Might suggest a stay in Williams, Az. Checkout the Lodge on Route 66 real nice and while not cheap is first class motel with one story park in front of your room type accommodations. Lots of cool places to eat and drink within short walk of motel. The Grand Canyon is nice but a total tourist trap so my advice would be to stay in Williams and if you can make day rides to the south Rim, down Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona, over to Jerome, Az. ( old mining town) over Mingus mt. to Prescott and back around to Williams again. I highly recommend 89a south out of Prescott then up to 93 to 97 to Bagdad then on 96 throught Skull valley and back into Prescott. Lots of great roads here.:thumb

Do what Steve said... very nice riding. The south rim is 300 miles one way so if you are in a hurry just rent a car...

Jeff:dance

Back