• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Aux Tank - 2006 R1200RT?

M

markengland

I plan on installing an AUX tank on my 2006 RT and was hoping someone has already installed one on a 2006 RT (or later) or can recommend someone who as expierence in this area.

After talking with a lot of folks including dealers, there does not seem to be a way to connect an Aux tank to an RT (2006 or later). I have been informed by many dealers that the 06RT uses a pressurized return-line (unlike previous models), so that is not an option.

Due to my design, I will have a fuel pump and not gravity feed.

So my question is: Does anyone know how I can connect the Aux tank?

Thanks
Mark

Note: I posted this question in the Oilhead forum by mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on installing an AUX tank on my 2006 RT and was hoping someone has already installed one on a 2006 RT (or later) or can recommend someone who as expierence in this area.

After talking with a lot of folks including dealers, there does not seem to be a way to connect an Aux tank to an RT (2006 or later). I have been informed by many dealers that the 06RT uses a pressurized return-line (unlike previous models), so that is not an option.

Due to my design, I will have a fuel pump and not gravity feed.

So my question is: Does anyone know how I can connect the Aux tank?

Thanks
Mark

Note: I posted this question in the Oilhead forum by mistake.

Just find a spot on the inside/underside of the tank - be brave - drill and install a 90 degree bulkhead fitting. On an R1100RS I drilled the fuel pump plate. On my R1150R I drilled the tank itself.

Then depending on the height of the aux tank you can use either pump feed or gravity feed. The bottom of the aux tank needs to be higher than the fuel pump pickup for gravity feed to work.

I know this was started along time ago, but like O P , i`m woundering how some have mounted the fuel cells (with pic`s of course). I did read a really good write up of an RT-P adding a cell where the radio box was. But i would like to add a cell where passenger seat is & still use a big Shad or Givi top box. my bike is a 2010RT

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums..

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - you can imagine how this might help with a model specific question like yours in getting eyeballs on the screen to open the topic. I'll add the info to your thread title.

Thanks much!

oops!! just realised you was talking to mark orig poster , but post is from 09 i figured someone on here has run an 05-12, 1200RT in some LD rides

Gerard

Back