• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200st

mikeb921

How can I find out how many R1200ST's were produced? How many were sold in the US. Was there ever a lower number production run of a BMW model? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
MB

There are several of us R1200ST owners here, so I'm sure it wasn't the lowest number production run from BMW. After all, there were only 152 R37s produced.

How many

Thanks Darryl. I know there are quite a few around, I just wondered where I could find exact numbers. Over 17,000 R90S's were made, over 1,600 R50S/2's were made. The research I've done so far suggest the number may be less than 1,000. Just curious, one of those tidbits of information that will never do anybody any good to know.

MB

This was discussed some time ago over at bwmsporttouring.com. You might be able to find the old thread there? If my memory serves me correctly I think about 650 R12STs were sold in the U.S. between 2005-2007. Of course some of those have been taken off the road due to crashes. I have no idea how many were manufactured. The ST was more popular in Europe and elsewhere. I also don't know if the 650 +/- number I'm recalling includes Canada. Not the most popular Beemer, but definitely not the most rare.

There are about 60 or so ST riders who check in at bmwsporttouring.com with some regularity.

ST numbers

There were only 152 R 37s produced...DarrylRi

Darryl:

Do any R 37s still exist? I note that most collections don't have one, including the BMW museum.

The ST was more popular in Europe...bricciphoto

I've noticed that sport tourers are more popular there, than here.

Darryl:

Do any R 37s still exist? I note that most collections don't have one, including the BMW museum.

The old joke about 200 of the original 157 still exist applies here. This is due to the availability of reproduction cylinders, heads and valve covers, and the conversion of R32s to "R37"s. They are very coveted and worth more than the relatively plentiful R32.

I have a photo of a (genuine) R37 in a collection in Germany, but my web site is down right now. I think there may be two R37s in the US: Peter Nettesheim and Dave Percival both have one.

BMW has a surprisingly poor selection of vintage bikes. At the BMW Classics building on Schleissheimerstrasse in Munich they have part of a floor filled with old bikes that are in need of restoration. I didn't see an R37 among them, although they had a couple of the Koenigswelle rennsport models (which are rarer still, and there are definitely at least 72 of the original 24 of those still in existence!) BMW would like to reacquire a lot of their historic bikes and models, but they are unwilling to spend the market price for them, and often depend on the generosity of others, like when the last of the three R90Ses that were campaigned in the 1976 World Superbike series was donated to them.

This was discussed some time ago over at bwmsporttouring.com. You might be able to find the old thread there? If my memory serves me correctly I think about 650 R12STs were sold in the U.S. between 2005-2007. Of course some of those have been taken off the road due to crashes. I have no idea how many were manufactured. The ST was more popular in Europe and elsewhere. I also don't know if the 650 +/- number I'm recalling includes Canada. Not the most popular Beemer, but definitely not the most rare.

There are about 60 or so ST riders who check in at bmwsporttouring.com with some regularity.

For the MY 2006 only six were imported into Canada. Were it not for a special order (long time customer) there would have been none. All six that came in were the same colour and the same options.

st numbers

Thanks, Darryl. The R 37 rarity came up in a recent discussion with one of our local guys, who has just acquired an R2.

How many...[STs]...were sold?Mikeb921

Since I hijacked your thread, I felt I should do some searching, :) but I couldn't find any numbers.

The ST is my favourite BMW, and I regret it's discontinuance. But the problem, as I understand it, is that in North America the sport tourer segment is the smallest part of overall bike sales. Yamaha was reluctanct even to market its FJR 1300 here.

Thanks, Darryl. The R 37 rarity came up in a recent discussion with one of our local guys, who has just acquired an R2.

Since I hijacked your thread, I felt I should do some searching, :) but I couldn't find any numbers.

The ST is my favourite BMW, and I regret it's discontinuance. But the problem, as I understand it, is that in North America the sport tourer segment is the smallest part of overall bike sales. Yamaha was reluctanct even to market its FJR 1300 here.

The ST suffered two other problems. One was its appearance (the stacked headlights were unpoplar--though very effective) and the other was its price when optioned came mighty close to an RT so a lot of would ST buyers migrated to RTs. I have an ST and love it.

...the stacked headlights were unpopular...bricciphoto

Yes, but I kind of like their edgy look. And, in any event, there's a replacement aftermarket headlight kit, that looks quite good.

What?

Yes, but I kind of like their edgy look. And, in any event, there's a replacement aftermarket headlight kit, that looks quite good.

You can't let it go like that, give us a look. I like the ST's styling as well, but I seem to be in the minority.

MB

aftermarket headlight kits

You can't let it go...Mikeb921

I've forgotten the name of the manufacturer, but it came up on the Bikers Oracle Oiler RS Forum (which I can't get into at present) a long time ago; my recollection is that Darryl Ri brought it up. There are ST owners in the RS section.

I'll do some more checking and try to do a link, but Darryl will probably see this before I find it. The kit looks really cool, but the price, not so. :)

I ride an ST, and think it's a great bike, if a bit portly (for a sport-tour, it's rather light for a BMW boxer). I think the styling is a bit like a modern take on the original RS, maybe they should have stuck with that designation. The stacked headlights may have been a bit ahead of their time, but it looks like they're catching on, at KTM.
My main gripes are with the insipid BMW turn signal switches and the stock seat, it's a real violator that belongs in a bicycle shop. I switched to the factory "low" seat in the raised position, it's a lot more comfortable.
My only problem is it has a real appetite for donuts, it eats a couple every 4,000 miles.:doh Nuts! :idea :yum

I ride an ST, and think it's a great bike, if a bit portly (for a sport-tour, it's rather light for a BMW boxer). I think the styling is a bit like a modern take on the original RS, maybe they should have stuck with that designation. The stacked headlights may have been a bit ahead of their time, but it looks like they're catching on, at KTM.
My main gripes are with the insipid BMW turn signal switches and the stock seat, it's a real violator that belongs in a bicycle shop. I switched to the factory "low" seat in the raised position, it's a lot more comfortable.
My only problem is it has a real appetite for donuts, it eats a couple every 4,000 miles.:doh Nuts! :idea :yum

I'm sort of ambivalent about the headlight styling. But I love the way it illuminates the road. I think the KTM styling is very similar, too. I have to agree with your ASSessment of the stock seat. I did exactly 110 miles on it before I got a low seat, which is much more comfortable. The stock seat was crowned and it felt like I was sitting on a football. The ST is a fine bike.

Anecdotally, other BMW riders I've encountered have generally made unfavorable comments about the ST's styling, while just about anyone else who's seen my bike (riders of other brands and strangers who don't even ride) are almost universally complimentary. :p

Yeah, I changed the seat out right away for a Rick Mayer special. I also added the Verholen bar risers and a Powerlet accessory outlet. Otherwise, the bike is stock. Except that I have it apart right this minute and I'm putting a Stebel horn on it and a Fuzeblock. I'm going to move the accessory outlet up onto the dash while I'm at it.

Rinty, I don't recall the headlight kit, and couldn't find it with a brief search over there. (Everything is brief for me right now, my internet connection is really terrible.) Anyway, I also really like the effectiveness of the headlights and don't care what others think of the styling. I just got back from a 5700 mile tour of Mexico and the bike didn't want for anything.

Is this it? Wunderlich's DuoLight Conversion Kit:

475520052_CuryL-O.jpg

ST headlight conversion

Is this the one?bricciphoto

I think that's it.

It's difficult to search, because the search words will bring up mostly HID kits.

Good sleuthing. :thumb

I have one. As was said, i think there was a list of ST owners and there location going around the bmwsporttouring site. Last time i saw the list it was up to around 30 i think. I'm going to do a quick search and see if i can find it.

Brian Anderson
Ashland, MA

P1010518.jpg

Back