• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet cleaning

wack

I own a Shoei RF-900 and was trying to find info on how best to clean the interior padding. Does anyone know if the pads are removable. I sense they are but am hesitant to pull them completely out?!!? Any help would be apprecitated. Thanks in advance

Put it rightside up in the dishwasher set to NO-HEAT DRY. Stand it up to dry outside in the sun. Stuff some newsprint in it to hasten drying if need be, change it every hour or two.

Put the whole helmet in the dishwasher? I assume I would take the shield off. Does this deteriorate the shell in any way? Thanks for the tip

Yes remove the shield first.

I have done this with my RF700's with great results.

Works even better if you use a TINY amount of woolite.

Good luck

Another "clean the funky lid" trick is to take the helmet into the shower with you at your next appointed bath-time, and shampoo the inside of the lid vigorously. Rinse until you no longer get suds, and then do the "set it outside to dry" routine.

If you happen to have any kind of electronic stuff in the helmet, (radio or intercom speakers, etc.) be sure and remove it first.

As an aside, if you use a Sliks, or even a hanky tied into a doo-rag, it can forestall the intervals on the helmet cleaning. That is, if you wash the Sliks with some degree of regularity.

If you use a shampoo like Clairol Herbal Essense your helmet smells really pretty.

Back