• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nolan X-1002 #1224

redclfco

Aerostich has this helmet on sale at $315.00, which considering it started out around 500, seems like a bargain.

Unlike some of the moneybags on this site, I have wanted a flip up but instead have gotten by with a old worn out helmet since I got the GS thats four years old, scratched and dented to death because I'm poor, and don't want to dish out $500.00 for a new helmet.

Unlike a new heated liner, this is an easy one to get the wife’s blessing because my old HJC is not safe-right? No brainer (no pun intended) to take care of your head!

But wait!

I read the reviews, and the reviews for Nolan x-1002 #1224 said that the helmet sucks, the inner tint visor scratches the outer, the helmet is noisy, the helmet is heavy (cant be any heavier than the lead weight HJC I currently have)

Is this close out special a good deal? Or am I getting a bad deal?

But wait!

I read the reviews, and the reviews for Nolan x-1002 #1224 said that the helmet sucks, the inner tint visor scratches the outer, the helmet is noisy, the helmet is heavy (cant be any heavier than the lead weight HJC I currently have)

I feel you pain in choosing. One thing I have discovered is that if you look hard enough, you 'll find totally contradicting opinions/reviews. Noisy to one is fine to another. I wish they had some Db in helmet noise rating - something tangible! I wish I had some of the hours I have spent researching items. Sometimes information is a bad thing?

For what it's worth, my latest helmet purchase was based first on crash rating (5 stars) then other considerations ~ price, weight, comfort, noise. It got mixes reviews on noise. For me, it's a noisy helmet. I'll deal with it for the crash rating, but wish I didn't have to.

Good luck.

Just remember, a flip up helmet will always be noisier than a standard full face helmet so no matter which flip up you get, it will seem noisy. As Indycar said, it's just something you learn to live with. I always wear earplugs with my Shoei Multitec and it makes it a lot better.

I suggest a bake sale. That should get you the funds to buy both the Nolan and a year's supply of ear plugs. You know you want it; go ahead and be your own little stimulus plan.

Aerostich has this helmet on sale at $315.00, which considering it started out around 500, seems like a bargain.

Your reasoning and trepidation at buying a "closeout bargain" helmet are well placed. Like you, not exactly a moneybags (fixed income on disability retirement) so spending big bucks on a helmet about every 5 or 6 years doesn't come easily. And it's made more difficult by trying to purchase on the internet without being to try something on. And who wants to go thru the hassle of returns if what you get doesn't fit right, provided an internet shop even allows for returns?

Solution for me was several replacement cycles back, when I went to a shop and spent hours (not a lot of money, but plenty of time) trying every helmet I could find. Of course that was after reading a bunch of reviews in the magazines and on line. My discovery was that all the helmets had a different feel (even similar models in some manufacturers lines). I finally settled on an Arai ( I know! Expensive!) mostly because of the fit, but also the replaceable cheek pads that ensure the quietest fit. And though the cost was high, offset by actually buying that same helmet from the same dealer at a bike show where they had some specials, I got exactly what I wanted with a perfect fit.

Since I purchased that first Arai it's been replaced by newer, different models from the same company, and the fit is always perfect. Guess what I'm saying is if you can find a shop with a wide variety of helmet brands try them all on and find one that fits the best. I sort of justified my first Arai and its high cost by rationalizing that if I spent $450 on a helmet that would last 6 years it was "only" about 70 bucks a year. So if you find a brand that fits your noggin correctly, buy it and stick with the brand in the future, then when it needs replacement you can shop around for "closeout specials" that happen just about every year on a lot of brands.

And on the Nolan, I've tried them on, but not ridden with them. Friend who has an RS bought one from a local shop, rode about 50 miles and returned it (with a LOT OF HASSLE by the dealer). He said it was the noisiest thing he'd ever had on his head. Not sure about this particular model, but I'd be a bit wary unless there is a CLEAR return policy. If I was looking for a flip front I'd probably get a Shoei, again, pretty expensive though. :confused:

It does seem that I've seen a coupe of internet vendors (Helmet House, Helmet Harbor??) that do provide a clear return policy for fit "issues". Not sure about Aerostich, but my dealings with them have always been excellent.

Don't know if my ramblings are helpful, or just add to the confusion! Good luck with finding the perfect helmet....

Cheers! BJ

BJ,

You're not giving me any warm and fuzzies about replacing my Arai Corsair with something else.

I need it replaced but what a pain. :(

I suggest a bake sale. That should get you the funds to buy both the Nolan and a year's supply of ear plugs. You know you want it; go ahead and be your own little stimulus plan.

hahahaha Kevin...:bluduh Come south, the cold of AK starting to affect your brain...

For the REST of you, thanks for the response...

just kidding Kevin...;)

hahahaha Kevin...:bluduh Come south, the cold of AK starting to affect your brain...

just kidding Kevin...;)

No you're correct. These long winters do turn me into a bit of an pain.

Just so as to contribute, rather than merely poke fun... I decided to buy a modular helmet and after doing a lot of research bought a Zox. I have not ridden with it yet, but I'm impressed with the quality and it is half the price (or less) of Shoei and Nolan. WebBikeWorld (http://www.webbikeworld.com/) has what I think is the most comprehensive reviews of helmets (you probably know this) and gave the Zox a favorable rating for noise (for a modular). There has been some discussion on this forum about the Zox in the past 6 months. Can't remember who it was that has one, but a search may find them. Point is, I think there are some quality helmets out there that are much less expensive; not just Zox. However, the Zox does come color matched to some beemer colors. Mine is Barritz Blue and matches my RT very well. And just to prove I'm a nice guy I'll contribute some brownies to the bake sale.

Edit: Found the post. It was by Greenwald; text follows.

Make sure you try one on first for fit, but I just purchased a ZOX Genesis SVS from my local BMW shop.

Nice features: Modular helmet with internal sun shield that can be lowered or raised with one hand.

Good construction, style, color choice and fit.

$188 on line or about $210 at the dealer.

I chose to patronize the dealer - want him around for a while!

Good Luck

There are other posts as well about the Zox.

Last edited:
BJ,

You're not giving me any warm and fuzzies about replacing my Arai Corsair with something else.

I need it replaced but what a pain. :(

Sorry 'bout that, but then it's probable a real challenge being warm (not sure about the fuzzy) in Ohio this time of year! And especially this year...

But I do hear ya, that Corsair is an excellent skid lid. Though I prefer my new Tour XD, I don't ride fast enough (any more) to have problems with wind flow over that big visor, and love that visor when I'm riding into the setting Western sun.

Hope it warms up (again, not sure about the fuzzy) for ya soon!

Cheers, BJ :drink

Back