• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Experiences with the New K1300 GT?

SpartySam

Steven from MSU
I am currently considering the new K1300 GT. When I last tried one last year, I found the seated position very uncomfortable relative to my R1200RT and R1200GS. The position placed too much stress on my knees. Has this problem been resolved in the new version.

Steven A. Melnyk
Michigan State University

I sat on one today and did not notice any knee problems but the machine seemed to have a high center of gravity.

Does new 2009 K1300GT have a new final drive?

Guys and Gals of Forum: Does the new K1300GT have a new final drive built with improved parts over the old K1200GT final drive? Where would I go to view the old part numbers in the final drive versus the new part numbers for a 2009 model?

I would be willing to purchase these parts lists and do you folks know of where I can buy them? I am seriously interested in this machine. But if it is the same old final drive prone to failures, I will just stay with the Beemers that I currently own!

Steven:

I checked the specs and note both the handlebar and seat are adjustable, and a lower seat is available. If you haven't already, you might want to ride one with some different seat and handlebar positions. Some members, including a good friend of mine, have reported that small handlebar positional changes make a tremendous difference to comfort.

Otherwise, pulling the trigger on the one at your dealer's might be a risky proposition. :)

Does the new GT have a new final drive? Beemerdons

Don:

I noted in the specs, a "new two piece driveshaft."

Sitting position has not changed. The dual stage final drive has not changed the final drive hub structure, whats been failing per many contributors over the years. The dual stage is two methods of buffering engine impulses [and other driveline lag] as that are transmitted to the final drive. Not only is there a sliding spring, but also plastic materials are now used to absorb slack within the drive shaft, resulting in a smoother overall experience....per BMW.

final drive failure

I am currently considering the new K1300 GT. When I last tried one last year, I found the seated position very uncomfortable relative to my R1200RT and R1200GS. The position placed too much stress on my knees. Has this problem been resolved in the new version.

Steven A. Melnyk
Michigan State University

I thought that I read somewhere that there was an improved ring gear available which was the main cause of the failures.

They painted the final drive and swing arm black. Looks WAY more reliable to ME!:brow

Although you have more HP with the 1300, myself I'm glad I have an 07. Not too keen on the signal switch all of a sudden changed to the UJM type. Also the new reservoirs aka "specimen cups" on the handlebars. What else....oh how about the Buick porthole vents on the fairing?
I doubt the ergonomics are changed, but I like mine fine.

Gilly

There is already a notice out that front brake reservoir cover may leak...all units are to be checked by dealer for correct assembly. Gee, wonder if they could be urine specimen containers?

hozpypr

Hello everybody just joined. been a r1200 rider for awhile traded it for the k1300gt a few days ago. My first impression is how smooth this bike is . I find it sits a bit lower than my RT and forward a little to. I am 5'11" and the knee position is good for me. You do get more wind than the RT the wind shield is a bit short but I don't mind this Bike is way more fun to ride. As far as the look the only thing I don't like about the bike are the seats but a trip to Bill Meyer will fix that. Anybody elese that has one of these I would like to hear what they think.

There is already a notice out that front brake reservoir cover may leak...all units are to be checked by dealer for correct assembly. Gee, wonder if they could be urine specimen containers?

Some just weren't turned until the click.

Guys and Gals of Forum: Does the new K1300GT have a new final drive built with improved parts over the old K1200GT final drive? Where would I go to view the old part numbers in the final drive versus the new part numbers for a 2009 model?

I would be willing to purchase these parts lists and do you folks know of where I can buy them? I am seriously interested in this machine. But if it is the same old final drive prone to failures, I will just stay with the Beemers that I currently own!

Assuming you are talking all wedge K12 and K13 GTs.
The 1300 crowngear set and the inside bearing on the pinion shaft have new part numbers. So does the case and cover. The outside bearing on the pinion shaft and the big bearing on the outside of the crown gear are the same.
Since the case and cover are a different color, there may be no real difference there. However the latest housing case on the K12 had a drain hole on the bottom. So there were two housings for the K12. The latest one may be physically the same as the new one on the 1300.
As far as changing parts, if the whole final drive from the 1300 bolted up to a 1200, that would make the most sense. However I suspect that maybe the only difference in the crowngear set could be the input splines on the pinion since there is a new driveshaft. That would preclude swapping the drives.
BTW, I have seen a couple dozen or more of these K12 bikes come and go, and there has not been one issue with the final drives since '05. I have seen an issue or two with the R12GS and the R12RT drives...mostly outside big seal leaks easily fixed and a loose flange or two. Not exactly a "study", but eases my mind. I only have about 27K miles on three K12Ses so far however. Not exactly a lot of miles yet.

Back