• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

Presidio County Courthouse

483626567_RGXxM-XL.jpg

Presidio County Courthouse
http://www.texascourthousetrail.com/menu.htm

483629668_KFHaS-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Pinto Canyon at sunset

482551658_xKjaX-XL.jpg

Pint Canyon at sunset

This is the road south out of Marfa. Pinto Canyon ahead.

At Marfa, two young "hippie" gals told me that Pinto Canyon is the place to be at sunset. :thumb

I'll go at that idea, even knowing that Pinto Canyon is a glorified jeep trail that has steep rocky drop offs, is a major illegal route to Mexico and the sun set very fast in February.:banghead

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Pinto Canyon at sunset

483632987_WQ6zt-XL.jpg

Pint Canyon at sunset. The 7,730-foot Chinati Peak on the horizon

The road connects the towns of Marfa and Ruidosa and ends at the Rio Grande. The north 32 miles portion FM-2810 out of Marfa is paved

When the pavement ends and the gravel,rocks and adventure will begin as the road follows the contour of the land. The portion goes through a private ranch and you are not allowed off the traveled road right of way

I'm hoping that Pinto Canyon doesn't get paved, because for me it would just be another pretty road instead of one of the prettiest dual sport roads this side of the Rockies

For riders adventurous enough to take Pinto Canyon Road, you are entertained with scenic vistas and a feeling of total isolation.​

483630369_fHnnr-XL.jpg

The Garmin Street Pilot 2610 displays - 11 miles to Ruidosa. The next morning, I backtracked up the mountain to check out any sites I missed.

The girls were right, Pinto Canyon is beautiful at sunset. Pinto Canyon was much nicer than these photos depict, as it is tough to get good shots with a P&S camera in low light, no tripod and a hurry-up situations

483631887_TMD3W-XL.jpg

483633733_2cUnF-XL.jpg

483634353_M975s-X3.jpg

Above: Almost Dark
Below: Water crossing in total darkness

483637008_5aruK-X3.jpg

Up on Pinto Canyon Road, you will change over 1000' in elevation in about 3 miles.

I finished most of the trail before total darkness. On of the best perks of doing this road at sunset is when darkness sets in. Venus, the “evening star,” was very bright and high in the western skies.

Pinto road is I'm guessing 100 miles south of the McDonald Observatory. McDonald Observatory was picked because of its high ratio of clear nights, its 6800 foot altitude and its distance from artificially-lighted cities. I'm thinking Pint Canyon fits all that criteria.

The spot where I decide to view the stars showed the Milky Way like I have only seen it a few times before.​

Hello darkness my old friend, do I have a Shiner in that saddle bag?

483636596_dfTJh-X3.jpg

This area is well known to the Border Patrol as a major smuggling route for drugs and people. I'm told there are sensors along the route that alert for vehicular and foot traffic. I'm starting to think I'm not as isolated as I thought I would be. I came across 4 convey of 5 vehicles each of Border Patrol agents doing their job. I decided it would not be in my best interest to wilderness camp on the mountain.

I did some night gravel riding and wilderness camped in the middle of nowhere.​

483638208_49ZAZ-XL.jpg

Texas Ranch Gate

483627432_FcSbA-XL.jpg

Texas Ranch Gate

Every mile or few you will come upon a gate that leads into a ranch.

These gates are how folks find your property. Some gates are status symbols. Many of these gates look like they cost more than the ranch house. I've seen beautiful gates built before the house or other buildings are built.

Some gates just tell about you. Example, the many gates with deer symbols on them.

These gates are a rural Texas art form, much like red Wisconsin barns.:thumb

Most gates give you a feeling of "Welcome", kinda like a "Welcome Mat" in the Midwest, but if you look closer you will notice the "No Trespassing sign" and if caught trespassing, you will be shoot at :dunno

Back