• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

Man, I love your ride reports.

Did you mean to have some of the photos side x side? On IE it really messes up the formatting of the page. C'est le vie.

What tires are you running on your G/S?
Thanks again for your stories.

Last edited:
Fantastic, Jim!

I always love reading and viewing your stuff! You've got a fantastic eye and use the camera well! Looking forward to seeing you again in TN.

Bravo

great stuff!!! that opening silhouette of the GS is one of the best pix I've seen in this forum, a great example of Less is More. :clap Thanks for taking the time to post. It's much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone. Glad you like my ride reports.
Man, I love your ride reports.
What tires are you running on your G/S?
Thanks again for your stories

Looks like a G/S but it is a Paralever style white 1988 R1000 GS.
I am running Tourance on my Texas Trip because I will be riding her home; for my true dual sport rides I run Dunlop 606; on my Trans Wisconsin ride I ran TKC 80.
Jim

466018651_EYyzB-XL.jpg

Back to the story, up to this point of the trip I had one day of not perfect weather, 50 and a possibility of a light drizzle. Remember I was told that it has not rained for over one year in the Three Sisters area. Great weather if I were back in Wisconsin, but the forecast calls for 65 and sunny again. I went riding around Camp Wood just far enough to takes these few photos. The photos are just down the road from Chugs Campground. I took the road to the top of the mountain, and the mountain was fogged in. It was still nice exploring.

466023009_4bUHr-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dual Sporting the 3 Sisters

466014177_dUzv8-XL.jpg

Bump Gate
you just push it with your bumper (I mean with the front tire of the GS) and it open allowing enough time to drive in and it closes behind you. Some of the ranches have a bump gate every few miles.

I am sure the local body shops invented these contraptions.:laugh

The cattle guards perform the same function.

466025954_4UTrK-XL.jpg

466016619_gceGZ-XL.jpg

There is a nice gravel road that goes from Two of the Three Sisters (335 to 336) at the Vance Cut-off . It starts paved and when it hits gravel it's called Bullhead Road. Nice road, here a few photos. When I got back to the campground, Chug told me I should of road Hackberry rode also. Well next time.:banghead
466018890_joEEe-XL.jpg

466021625_7kEeB-XL.jpg

466012340_M55Jj-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dual Sport Texas

466108518_nGQyC-XL.jpg

Cedar Creek Road​

466110252_MF8Sx-XL.jpg

466105448_L37g5-X3.jpg

I think I better check my final drive oil for water​

466103859_dxAqh-XL.jpg

466102389_qgvT5-XL.jpg

This area has had no rain for over a year​

466089203_MRBDp-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Cedar Creek Road

466116967_Gx2AD-XL.jpg

Best Dual Sport Riding this side of the Big Bend​

466122664_YPgJ6-XL.jpg

466084060_eNXv9-XL.jpg

465930635_D3Puz-XL.jpg

465931427_hngoU-XL.jpg

466086532_AcsMW-XL.jpg

466089296_VqBHF-XL.jpg

466092368_T3KiD-XL.jpg

466105502_rH53k-XL.jpg

I had a great time dual sport riding with Chug while I was enjoying the 3 Sisters. Chug owns Rocky River motorcycle Camp and has a farkled out DR650 he rode on the Cedar Creek ride.

Chug said he does not like riding Cedar Creek Road by himself because of safety concerns, and I was glad for his good company and his fine local guidance.

When I stayed at Rocky River Camp, I sampled some of Chugs homemade BBQ. It is Texas best barbecue. I am thinking that Chug should open a BBQ house. Well he did, and the Texas Hill Country, eating establishment is named Two Fat Boys BBQ.

If you are in Camp Wood, Texas - stop in at at Rocky River Camp and Two Fat Boys BBQ for some real Texas hospitality

466107346_rvKBZ-XL.jpg

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere
than in any city on earth.
~Steve McQueen

;)

Last edited:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Garner State Park, Texas

466088608_bBihR-XL.jpg

Cypress lined Frio river
I bet when the 100 degree Texas heat hits, the Frio River (Spanish for cold river) with the shores of shady, century old cypress trees would be the perfect place to beat the heat! ;)

466092968_uXke9-XL.jpg

466095047_qzL4p-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Old Number Nine Rail Line

466131576_y2JA5-XL.jpg

Old Number Nine, just south of Luckenbach, Texas​

466126780_Ftnaq-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Luckenbach, Texas

466158223_zVSTG-X3.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Modern Luckenbach

Today the town still maintains a ghost town feel with its small population and strong western roots. Two main buildings are the top sites, one of which houses the post office, saloon, and general store, and the other is the dance hall.

Country music

Luckenbach's association with country music began in the summer of 1973, when Jerry Jeff Walker, backed by the Lost Gonzo Band, recorded a live album there called Viva Terlingua at Luckenbach Dancehall. That album became an outlaw country classic.

Four years later (and a year after Crouch's death), Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson memorialized Luckenbach with the song "Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)," cowritten by rock and soul producer Chips Moman and keyboardist Bobby Emmons]. In the book Are You Ready for the Country? (Penguin 2000), without citing a source, author Peter Doggett wrote that Jennings later told audiences that "he hated the song and admitted 'The guys that wrote the thing have never been to Luckenbach. Neither have I.'" (p. 368)

Notable concert appearances in the town include Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Pat Green, Robert Earl Keen, and Lyle Lovett. The little community is still an active home to country music as of 2008, where folks gather by the score to listen to area musicians and drink cold beer, particularly Shiner Bock, a local favorite brewed by the oldest brewer in Texas.

466156695_8oc6F-XL.jpg

466154003_9VMRk-XL.jpg

Above: general store that has been in business since 1849

"Let's go to Luckenbach Texas with Waylon and Willie and the boys
... and blue eyes cryin' in the rain out in Luckenbach Texas
ain't nobody feelin' no pain.":beer

466155444_pmZAg-XL.jpg

466154812_wKVqr-XL.jpg

Not much has changed since 1858 :drink

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dance Hall in Luckenbach Texas
466148824_vPcWR-XL.jpg

466152592_PL9Ku-XL.jpg

Luckenbach Biergarten​

466150836_aVXZa-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Jim,

What a great report and photography! :thumb I'm trying to figure out if I made my coffee especially good this morning or your report just makes it feel that way. Read the whole thing just sipping on my coffee. Thanks for taking us along and making a great morning. Having traveled most of the paved roads and towns it's like watching home movies. Can't wait to get back that way.

One note of caution to riders thinking of "Trying this at home". Those low water spots on those hardly traveled dirt roads can form a slick algae in the warmer months making those shallow crossings slipperier than snot on a watermelon pit. Surely better to be on a duel sport for sure. One of the few times on an RT I felt simply "Lucky" to barely get across. I think my speed (not my skills) allowed the rear tire to somehow catch a grip on something before going down on a few of those.

I enjoyed riding with You, Helen, Chuck and the rest of the San Antonio Club over the Valentine weekend.

I am on the Road and will be posting in two weeks when I leave Big Bend. I rode to Stonehedge and did some more dual sporting in the Three Sisters area Yesterday.

Jim​

Are you in Big Bend??? We will be back in three days. Got stuck in Kingman with real bad weather. Want to meet at KKKK? Let us know...
Thatis in Terlingua... Be well... Ara & Spirit

worthburningthedaylight!

Just delighted in your wonderful photos and text. WOW and Thanks!!! Was good to see you and ride with you. .......Waldo

Big Bend photos

Beer Team; can't wait to see your Big Bend area photos and read your superb report; imagine they will be forthcoming in the next week or so... Stay warm and ride safely in the meantime.:thumb

Good on ya' mate!

Thumbs up Jim! Thanks for taking the time to share these great shots and words with us. Can't wait to see the Big Bend shots.

Back