• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Study Butte, Texas - Moon Valley

482774513_9NKbb-XL.jpg

"Moon Valley" :thumb
a stark landscape . . .
rumored :dunno
where the early astronauts learned to drive the moon rover​

. . . . . . . . . . .Study Butte - Big Bend - Moon Valley

482770895_oYoGV-XL.jpg

- Big Bend
- Moon Valley
Burning Daylight

482776075_5Vnoe-XL.jpg

Moon Valley
An area of volcanic tuft

482776740_M3XwE-XL.jpg

482774799_2rD6x-XL.jpg

Moon Valley
Burning Daylight

482775098_kLV8c-XL.jpg

Last edited:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .The mean green Kawi KLX 250

482777216_Eyx7c-XL.jpg

Moon Valley
An area of
volcanic tuft :thumb
northwest of Big Bend National Park

The mean green Kawi KLX 250
is a blast to ride in the deep sand

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bye, Bye, Big Bend

482759084_KYmxj-XL.jpg

Leaving the "Bend", I turned north on Langtry Road for some good ole gravel riding.

Langtry north to Pandale (Population 14) and the bridge crossing the Pecos river. The Pecos River is only a creek at this point in it's journey. Pandale to Juno, which is just a (now dry) water crossing. Juno to Sonora and on to camp at Rocky River Camp to see Chug and my new friends in Camp Wood, Texas

482759948_DE9C8-XL.jpg

Above: Pecos River

Note: Back to San Antonio and my friends Paul and Jackie. Tomorrow I am planning to see the Alamo and again visit Bandera.

Below: (dry) Juno Crossing
482762255_oZtk4-XL.jpg

Thanks Santa, I was familiar with the term 'old school' as it pertains to hip hop, architecture, computer technology, audio technology and tools but I wasn't sure if it referred wrt motorcycles to a particular bike, engine type, series or year, type of accessory, or type of road or environment etc. That part's not in Webster or anywhere here so thanks for the explanation..

I guess you're allowed to have a digital camera, though...I had to chuck my old Polaroid 'cause they don't make the film any more.

Van

Old School, personified.

I also travel the same way I have been traveling for the last 32 years. I travel on an old Airhead, no cell phone, lap top, XM radio, Bluetooth or any of the other do daddies riders must have except for an older GPS.

Santa
:thumb

Man I've really enjoyed your report and wonderful pictures. Most definitely a trip of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing!

San Antonio Missions Trail - National Historical Park

504611508_5M5yu-X3.jpg

Mission San Jos?® Church

The missions of San Antonio were a factor in the history of Texas and the heart of the establishment of the city of San Antonio.

In 1983, the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park was established

504619248_t9oc9-X3.jpg

. . . . . . . . .Main entrance, Mission San Jos?® Church

504616946_UwTZw-X3.jpg

Main entrance, Mission San Jos?® Church

. . .fine example of the baroque style of architecture that was popular in Spain at the time the Franciscans settled in what is now Texas.

The history of San Antonio and this region began when...

between 1718 -1731 Franciscans and Spanish representatives established the five missions located along the San Antonio River . . .presently the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park Trail

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Mission San Jos?®

504620017_qSLPS-XL.jpg

San Jose (1720)

Soon after the building of the Alamo, a second mission was founded in 1720 about five miles downstream. . . know as ÔÇ£The Queen of the MissionsÔÇØ . . . provided the strongest garrison against raids from Indians

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Mission Concepci??n Church

504603654_2kwbE-X3.jpg

Mission Concepci??n Church (1731)

The church at Concepcion looks essentially as it did more than 200 years ago, when it stood at the center of local religious activity.

504599422_W7Q4w-X3.jpg

504597265_nNgtJ-X3.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Mission Espada (1731)

504682617_CVcES-X3-1.jpg

Espada (1731)

Founded as San Francisco de los Tejas near present day Welch, Texas, this was the first mission in Texas. The mission transferred to the San Antonio River area and renamed Mission San Francisco de la Espada. It is the southernmost of the chain of missions located on the San Antonio River. Mission Espada features an unusual door and stone entrance archway

Missions San Jose, San Juan, Concepcion, and Espada continue to operate as active parishes of the Catholic church and all are open to the public. Through a cooperative agreement with the Archdiocese of San Antonio, the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park of the National Park Service administers and maintains these missions today.

. . .San Antonio de Valero, commonly called the Alamo

504585134_Z7b3U-XL.jpg

The Alamo (1718)

The first and today the most widely known of these missions was San Antonio de Valero, commonly called the Alamo. It was established in 1718 as a way station between missions already existing in East Texas and other base missions in Mexico. It was well over 100 years old when it became the focal point for the Battle of the Alamo, fought March 6, 1836. The Alamo will always be remembered and associated with that battle.

The Alamo is where Texas defenders fell to Mexican General Santa Anna and the phrase “Remember the Alamo!” originated. The Alamo is considered the cradle of Texas liberty and the state’s most popular historic site.

Touring the missions, highlighted the history of old Texas to me. It gives a sense of what it was like to live at the time. It gives a sense of how out nation was developed.These missions were built before our Nation declared Independence. Many riders pass on the East Texas as a destination because it is not as scenic as the "Hill Country" or "The Big Bend", but you really get a feel for early history by doing parts of the Mission, Independence and Fort Trails.

. .THE SPIRIT OF SACRIFICE aka The Alamo Cenotaph

504587955_ytEx6-X3.jpg

Bowie and Bonham on the east face

The east and west faces have larger-than-life statues of various Alamo defenders

Travis and Crockett on the west face

504586192_uyCjF-XL.jpg

504585680_4sXSW-X3.jpg

The south side of the monument has the 25-foot figure - Spirit of Sacrifice -

The north face has a female figure representing Texas

504586739_7Q6Qx-X3.jpg

The marker reads:
Erected in Memory of the Heroes who sacrificed their lives at the Alamo, March 6, 1836 in the defense of Texas, "They chose never to surrender nor retreat, these brave hearts with flag still proudly waving perished in the flames of immortality that their high sacrifice might lead to the founding on this Texas."

Funded 1936 - Begun 1937 - Completed 1939

Taken from the Greek words kenos, (empty) and taphos, (tomb) - cenotaphs are tombs or monuments erected to honor a person or persons whose remains are elsewhere or their whereabouts unknown.

Texas has many such empty tombs, some of them modest tombstones in humble cemeteries. This one in San Antonio's Alamo Plaza is sometimes referred to as "The" Cenotaph.

. . . . . . . . . . San Antonio - San Fernando Cathedral

504589856_Uy6yW-X3.jpg

San Fernando Cathedral was established in 1731 and construction beginning 1749

San Fernando Cathedral is the oldest cathedral sanctuary in the United States.

During the siege of the Alamo Santa Anna used it as an observation post.

The famous Alamo defender James Bowie was married here

Notable historic figures Bowie, William Travis and Davy Crockett are buried here.

. . . . . . . . .King William Historic District, San Antonio

504591158_BeyRH-XL.jpg

King William Historic Home District
San Antonio, Texas

504592762_zPijo-XL.jpg

Back