• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

. . . . . . . . .Pine Canyon Road & Juniper Canyon Road

482986777_vthKB-XL.jpg

Big Bend National Park/ Pine Canyon Road & Juniper Canyon Road

482992153_AB46S-XL.jpg

Big Bend National Park/ Pine Canyon Road & Juniper Canyon Road​

Big Bend National Park/ Pine Canyon Road & Juniper Canyon Road

489017003_ooXfq-XL.jpg

Big Bend National Park
Pine Canyon Road & Juniper Canyon Road​

483622129_vXzgQ-XL.jpg

482999447_N4kr7-XL.jpg

483002472_mdnya-X3-2.jpg

Disclosure:
Top & bottom photos are cropped from second photo

Last edited:
Luna Jacal - Big Bend National Park - Maverick Road

482961463_X37eW-XL.jpg

Luna's Jacal
Old Maverick Road

Gilberto Luna died in 1947 at the age of 108, in his aged jacal (prounounced hah-KAHL) he built himself from materials he collected near by.

Gilberto Luna raised melons and beans...and 38 children; born by six different successive wives.That's the story:dunno

Imagine, living 108 years. If he had the News channel, he would of heard of the WW 1 & 2, the Depression, and the Atomic Bomb. Gilberto was lucky, he had his "place in the Sun" and didn't have the News Channel.

Big Bend National Park - Maverick Road - Terlingua Abajo

482965877_UeQBR-XL.jpg

Big Bend National Park - Maverick Road - Terlingua Abajo

Above: Ruins of an old farming community (Terlingua Abajo)
Below: Interesting erosion​

482971523_bngsW-XL.jpg

Big Bend National Park - Maverick Road

483007159_oZu5F-XL.jpg

Old Maverick Road is a well maintained gravel road that has the Rattlesnake Mountains to the west and ends at the Mouth of the Santa Elena Canyon​

483008156_JNCzV-XL.jpg

482953737_CtBtQ-XL.jpg

482974411_yQFdw-XL.jpg

Big Bend National Park - Santa Elena Canyon

483072761_9V69Z-X3.jpg

Big Bend National Park - Santa Elena Canyon (visible as a cut in the bluff). This is in the southwest corner of Big Bend park​

482557186_RSNXi-XL.jpg

483057379_uMHVj-XL.jpg

. . . . . . Big Bend National Park - Santa Elena Canyon

483053829_U2ds7-X3.jpg

Big Bend National Park - Santa Elena Canyon
This trail is one of the nicest trails you will ever take

483088864_rYTfB-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Excellant shots! Can't believe I was just there last week. A lot of the same places......I can still feel the heat,in fact I miss it.....:( (cold this am 18??F in Chicago)

I like the distance shots of Santa Elena Canyon.
Look very close at the center of the picture.
100_1901.jpg

And those walls had to be 50+' high...!
100_1895.jpg

I was warned about wading in the Rio Grande water. Too much upstream pollution.:hungover

If I stayed a week longer, or you came a week earlier,we could have done some of those gravel roads together.
There's a guy from Illinois at the Chiso campground,riding a black F650 named Bob. Tell'em I said "Hi" and will see him at the Pecatonica Flea Market.

Keep up the good work, Santa. Luz your photography. Feel like I'm there, kinda sorta. Met U at Shilo rally back in '87 my first rally. U really got a kick out of that. Barry.

489568922_ZUAwV-X3-1.gif

Big Bend Loop

Travel east from Study Butte/ TERLINGUA on 118 to Maverick Junction, gravel road (south) to Santa Elena Canyon, north on Ross Maxwell Scenic Road to Castolon, Mule ears, and Sotol Vista.

Old Ore Road is in the northeast corner of the map, off of Dagger Flats Auto Trail and transverses south to Rio Grande Overlook

Old River Road loops on the bottom of the map

Gren Springs road is the gravel road through the center of the map.

Available Fuel Stops-

Alpine - Marathon - Stillwell Store on the road to La Linda -Study Butte (80 miles from Alpine) 2 stations:
Study Butte Chevron and Study Butte Store - Lajitas Trading Post in Lajitas (97 miles from Alpine)

In Big Bend National Park:

-Panther Junction(80 mi. from Marathon and 25 mi. from Study Butte)
-Rio Grande Village(25 mi. from Panther Junction)

-Speed limit in Big Bend National Park is 45 mph and is ENFORCED-

-Speed limit in Terligua area is 55 mph-

**DRINK PLENTY OF WATER**

ms

489600068_3SZEz-L-0.jpg

Last edited:
. . . . . . Big Bend National Park - Santa Elena Canyon

482984253_A5vjA-XL.jpg

The Bend

Big Bend National Park -- the size of Maryland

http://www.virtualbigbend.com/

BBNP is the only park in the United States that contains a complete mountain range - the Chisos.

On a sad note, 95 percent of the water volume of the Rio Grande is diverted upstream

482987636_LvDEY-X3.jpg

Big Bend NP - Ross Maxwell Scenic Road

482772782_Lp3TM-X3.jpg

Big Bend NP - Ross Maxwell Scenic Road

Cerro Castellan (a geologist’s heaven)
is a prominent cone shape mountain rising from the desert floor about a mile northeast of the Castolon ranger station in Big Bend National Park,rises more than 1,000 feet above the terrain below.

483047642_D7hn8-X3.jpg

Big Bend NP - Ross Maxwell Scenic Road​

Last edited:
Texas Ghost town - CASTOLON, TEXAS

482773325_oqz3x-X3.jpg

Texas Ghost town
CASTOLON, TEXAS
Big Bend NPS Trading Post
Ross Maxwell Scenic Road

483074212_C9MP9-XL.jpg

Jim,

You have captured the neighborhood perfectly. Next time somebody asks me why we chose to live here, instead of saying anything I will just send them to this thread.

Back