• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

OldSchooling on the "Lone Star Trail"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Old Ore Road

484002062_rLftV-XL.jpg

Interesting home construction​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Rio Grande Overlook

482601752_KkEtg-XL.jpg

The southern terminus of Old Ore Road is just a few miles west of Rio Grande Village near the Rio Grande Overlook​

Jim - It's nice that Mercury Marine gave you this time off..... And ... How fortunate for you and for us that you are able to go riding ... and then share your ride with us.

I can't wait to see what's next.

signed ...
one of your biggest fans. :wave

Last edited:
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hazy Morning

482589408_D9nUU-XL.jpg

Hazy Morning
Chisos Mountains

The Chisos Mountains had a much different look veiled in the haze. This haze was not normal morning high humidity. The haze was . . .dust.

482593641_Rm6C4-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Desert to Mountain

482596947_jJEr4-XL.jpg

A 7-mile long paved road climbs into the Chisos Mountains Basin. The road is quite steep and curvy with some 15 mph hairpin turns.

This is my favorite Texas road.

The vegetation and temperature changes - from the desert to upper woodland.​

482598539_9XAE5-XL.jpg

482953795_N8u4Z-X3.jpg

482964474_ZYf2c-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Window

482757109_ucyw2-XL.jpg

The Window

Chisos Basin's V-shaped gap known as The Window​

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Glenn Spring Road/Black Gap

482966863_J8g6P-XL.jpg

Glenn Spring Road/Black Gap

Glenn Spring Road is a great ride through the desert with views of the Chisos Mountains to the north. Black Gap Road is known as the worse road in the park :thumb

Big Bend NP "three parks in one," includes mountain, desert, and river environments.

482968939_tHoVH-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Black Gap Road

482976707_4uVf5-XL.jpg

The Black Gap Road
I talked to the Honda rider (pictured above) about the rest of the Black Gap. He told me that I shouldn't be trying the Black Gap Road on that "thing" (meaning my Airhead GS!).

He then told me it was a rough ride for his buddy on the KLR, for which I told him I can normally go most places a KLR will go, except not as fast.

He then look at my tires and said he wouldn't try it on those tire.

Also noting that a south-to-north passage is easier

Then he told me I was really asking for trouble riding the Black Gap Road alone.:scratch

At that point I thought about getting caught down there with no food and only a small quantity of water left:banghead . . . I turned around on the Black Gap Road for today, and I rode Juniper and Pine Roads instead. I will be back!

. . . . .Turn volume down

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FP0qEx53zd8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FP0qEx53zd8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Of Black Gap Road, the Road Guide to the Backcountry Dirt Roads of Big Bend National Park says only the following: "This road is no longer maintained for its full length and is recommended for four wheel drive vehicles only, and then only with extreme caution! It is extremely rough and in some places almost non-existent."

482979788_LYDr2-XL.jpg

. . . . . . . . .Pine Canyon Road & Juniper Canyon Road

482989169_8pHCi-XL.jpg

Pine Canyon Road
Juniper Canyon Road

These roads are rocky and rough, but very scenic​

482994771_GdKsM-XL.jpg

Back