• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Big 'n Tall Kerit Chair- who's in?

UncleHowie

Low speed, high drag
Like many GS riders, I'm a big oaf. I'd love a Kermit chair, but they're just built a few inches too narrow- as opposed to my butt being too big... That, and the height is more appropriate for someone with legs like a Welsh Corgi...

Here's my proposal for a slightly larger Kermit chair:
-2-4 inches wider than a regular Kermit, width yet to be determined
-legs slightly longer, so need for leg extensions is eliminated

Related thoughts:
-I pack gear on a rack, so I don't care if my chair fits in a saddlebag. A packed chair that's two to four inches longer than the current Kermit Chair wouldn't give me any problems...
-no need for leg extensions would be nice, and one could get back to the "1 bag" concept that makes the Kermit Chair so appealing in the first place.

I've talked with Tom Sherrill, owner of Kermit Chair Co., in person about this. He apparently already posseses plans for just such a beast, and there are supposedly some prototypes floating around out there...

If a few of us chime in, maybe we can get him to build some of these chairs. I'd be in for one, quite possibly two. If the fat guys of the world unite, and demand a slightly bigger chair, I think we can get it!

I've read all the various chair threads, and I'm convinced that the Kermit Chair is what I want/need. I have no beef with the price, except that I don't want to pay top dollar for a chair that's fundamentally too small for me. I've thought of trying to modify a Kermit, or building a scaled-up version, but I'd rather just buy one.

If you're interested in a larger Kermit Chair, please post here, and contact Tom directly. http://www.kermitchair.com/contact.tml Let him know that there's a market for a slightly bigger chair!

Thanks, -Howie

Like many GS riders, I'm a big oaf. I'd love a Kermit chair, but they're just built a few inches too narrow- as opposed to my butt being too big... That, and the height is more appropriate for someone with legs like a Welsh Corgi...

Here's my proposal for a slightly larger Kermit chair:
-2-4 inches wider than a regular Kermit, width yet to be determined
-legs slightly longer, so need for leg extensions is eliminated

Related thoughts:
-I pack gear on a rack, so I don't care if my chair fits in a saddlebag. A packed chair that's two to four inches longer than the current Kermit Chair wouldn't give me any problems...
-no need for leg extensions would be nice, and one could get back to the "1 bag" concept that makes the Kermit Chair so appealing in the first place.

I've talked with Tom Sherrill, owner of Kermit Chair Co., in person about this. He apparently already posseses plans for just such a beast, and there are supposedly some prototypes floating around out there...

If a few of us chime in, maybe we can get him to build some of these chairs. I'd be in for one, quite possibly two. If the fat guys of the world unite, and demand a slightly bigger chair, I think we can get it!

I've read all the various chair threads, and I'm convinced that the Kermit Chair is what I want/need. I have no beef with the price, except that I don't want to pay top dollar for a chair that's fundamentally too small for me. I've thought of trying to modify a Kermit, or building a scaled-up version, but I'd rather just buy one.

If you're interested in a larger Kermit Chair, please post here, and contact Tom directly. http://www.kermitchair.com/contact.tml Let him know that there's a market for a slightly bigger chair!

Thanks, -Howie

I looked at the Kermit and liked it but I'm going with this chair. check it out
http://www.fullthrottlecamping.com/product.php?id=71

I have the same chair. This past year I used on the bike when I went to some of the ralles and when I went to some of the car shows I go to. When you go in a 1959tr3 you don't have much room and this chair is perfect. the price is the same as the Kermit but a full size chair.

Don

Great, How about the quality. Do you think it will last as long as a kermit? Thanks in advance..

I've looked at the Pico. It may be plan "B" for me if I can't come up with a "larger" Kermit.

I think the Kermit is classy, where the Pico is just utilitarian.

But, if the chair fits...:D

I looked at the Kermit and liked it but I'm going with this chair. check it out
http://www.fullthrottlecamping.com/product.php?id=71

I have one of these (in addition to a Kermit chair with leg extensions) they are nice. You can beat that price though... $130?!? Retail is only $125 IIRC. I paid $89 but haven't seen it that low since. It holds up very well, I'm sure just as durable as the Kermit. Not easily packed on a bike unless you want to strap it across the back seat against your topcase. I toss it in the camper I pull behind the bike.

Too heavy;

The kermits are 6 lbs, I think and a 9 pounder is simply too heavy to tag along, imo. Kermits also pack into a nicer package and have the looks for sure! I still do not have one and feel the price is too high at 125+. Should have bought one years ago:(. Sitting is one of the last things I do anyhow, after a long days ride. I'm ready to lay down! Randy

The kermits are 6 lbs, I think and a 9 pounder is simply too heavy to tag along, imo. Kermits also pack into a nicer package and have the looks for sure! I still do not have one and feel the price is too high at 125+. Should have bought one years ago:(. Sitting is one of the last things I do anyhow, after a long days ride. I'm ready to lay down! Randy

Not to knock the kermits, but if you add the legs and holder its closer to 9 pounds, it does pack a little smaller. Either chair is a good choice depending on ones need and taste.

FYI: Cabella's stores are carrying this chair now. If I remember correctly, also a little cheaper than Full Throttle. And we know BMW riders are cheap :D

I would call them and se if they actual have it. Cabella's is where I saw this chair last May and placed the order. Then found out that they did not sell it. This was in a sale paper on got in the mail. I then found that Bass Pro Shop's carried it and had them in stock and order one from them.

Don

I would call them and se if they actual have it. Cabella's is where I saw this chair last May and placed the order. Then found out that they did not sell it. This was in a sale paper on got in the mail. I then found that Bass Pro Shop's carried it and had them in stock and order one from them.

Don

Good to know. There's a new Bass Pro Shop at the New England Patriots stadium. I was planning on going up there in a few weeks. That way I can try the chair and see if I like it instead of odering on line. I'm already familliar with the Kermit. I'll report back on my findings at that time. :)

I like my Kermit...can't beat the coolness factor. I'm in for a wider, taller Kermit if they will make it.

Kermits way too expensive for me, for the number of times I would use it during the year. Saw these the other day though and am thinking about getting one since it looks to be normal size and could be used for Fourth of July, football games etc etc

It is called the Blue Max chair

site-- http://www.bluemaxinc.com/

review--http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/blue-max-chair/

New chair

The Blue max looks good but the pico has a lot of appeal. I've tried the kermit. Too small for comfort and I still don't get the pricing. The pico is tall, doesn;t need optional leg extensions @ $29 or drink holder @$18. Perhaps the cachet of owning a kermit is too alluring for some. I'll pass,

Breeze

The Blue max looks good but the pico has a lot of appeal. I've tried the kermit. Too small for comfort and I still don't get the pricing. The pico is tall, doesn;t need optional leg extensions @ $29 or drink holder @$18. Perhaps the cachet of owning a kermit is too alluring for some. I'll pass,

Breeze

I think that one difference is the Pico and others are cranked out by the thousands in factories, while I suspect there is more hand labor involved in building a Kermit. It's also repairable, and I've visited with both Kermit himself and now Tom Sherrill (new owner of company) in person at rallies. Replacement parts are readily available.

To me, the Pico and others are utilitarian, while the Kermit is classy.

I don't need the drink holder, as I have two hands and the ground nearby.:D I agree that the Kermit is too small (for me) and too low to the ground. That's why I'm trying to get a bigger run made that will fit me, and will be higher off the ground w/o leg extensions. That said, each to his own- it's great that we have choices!

End of sales pitch...:)

I'm in. A couple more inches for my ass, and a couple more inches in leg height would be great. My left knee can't handle the "deep kneebend" type of feel to getting out of low chairs. I otherwise like the Kermit chair, though.

My $20 REI chair (a slightly nicer version of the infamous $10 chairs) is still chugging along nicely, and fits me better than any Kermit. I don't care that I can't put it in a hard case; I strap stuff on top when traveling anyway.

To me, a Kermit won't be comfy unless it's scaled up in EVERY dimension. Not just width; I also find the depth of the seat (the dimension from the front edge to where the backrest begins) to be quite insufficient, and I wnat back-support high enough to really sink into around the campfire. I would also want the height be sufficient without having to purchase add-ons, and by then the thing has to be packed outside the cases anyway. With that in mind, how can a $100+ chair possibly compete with a $20 chair? Oh yeah, and because it looks like all the other chairs, it's VERY unlikely to get stolen, and no heartbreak if that happens anyway. Handcrafted charm? Pointless for something I'm gonna strap to the bike for long rides. If I want handcrafted charm, I'll buy a wooden canoe.

I find the arguments about other chairs being 'utilitarian' pretty hilarious. Isn't utilitarianism the thing that used to be the big draw about BMWs? For something I'm going to tie to my bike and schlep around rallies and touring and camping, utilitarian is a great quality and is NOT exclusive of comfort.

The Kermit is a nice piece of craftsmanship, but IMHO it offers very poor value. No offense intended if it turns your crank; I'm just callin' it like I see it.

Back