• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can't wait to get some Tennessee mud all over my GS!

MonkeyBoy

I'm really looking forward to a rally in the Appalachians, a great place to ride, eat and explore! and ride off road!
Any word on a GS ride going about? Does some local GSer out there want to lead a sick dirt ride through the Cherokee Ntional Forest?

I'm with you on that, MonkeyBoy! My GS and I are heading out Sunday morning to enjoy the ride all the way down. We're pouring over maps looking for the twisties. The only problem is he's on an R1150RT, so isn't into the mud thing. But he likes beer and saturated fat, so what the heck!

Pete

You guys got the right idea! Are you going nuts up here in VT too? I am dying to get on my bike. Spring seems so far away.

Vermont?

Are the roads rarely bare, this time of year for you in Vermont? I already know the answer, most probably. SW GSA here and year round riding weather, most of the time. Sorry:). We did have some temps in the teens recently though(nights only), even at the border. No precip though. I was riding. See you in Tennessee, all offroaders. Randy

Are the roads rarely bare, this time of year for you in Vermont? I already know the answer, most probably. SW GSA here and year round riding weather, most of the time. Sorry:). We did have some temps in the teens recently though(nights only), even at the border. No precip though. I was riding. See you in Tennessee, all offroaders. Randy

Randy, the paved roads are generally bare a couple of dry days after snowfall, but there are patches of ice to worry about, and all that sand they spread on the roads makes for dangerous corners and bits of gravel kicked up by passing cars. It warmed up to 20 degrees today and I seriously thought about taking the GS out for a spin, but in the end stayed home. Maybe if I lived in the big city of Burlington where the roads are always clear, but not out here in the sticks.

I am surely looking forward to riding in Tennessee!

Randy, the paved roads are generally bare a couple of dry days after snowfall, but there are patches of ice to worry about, and all that sand they spread on the roads makes for dangerous corners and bits of gravel kicked up by passing cars. It warmed up to 20 degrees today and I seriously thought about taking the GS out for a spin, but in the end stayed home. Maybe if I lived in the big city of Burlington where the roads are always clear, but not out here in the sticks.

I am surely looking forward to riding in Tennessee!

Get some Anakees and ride.....

Breeze

Get some Anakees and ride.....

Breeze

Connecticut...isn't that in the Deep South? :D

Seriously, the dirt roads in my neck of the woods are sheets of ice this time of year and remain so until about mid-April, when they turn into tourist-swallowing mud bogs. Last year I used my tractor (4WD with inch long ice spikes on the chains) to carry the bike down the icy half mile of 28% grade to the dry pavement below so I could ride...but with the roads full of cages driven by skiers who drive like their minds are still on the slopes it's just not worth the risk.

Anakees might be nice, but common sense has always worked for me.

Attachments

• Cayenne1.jpg
    Cayenne1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 58
Ranting of a snowbound biker

Damn dude, your mean....

I wouldn't suggest riding in VT right now, but you definitely could if you had to or really wanted to, say ride to bike week or something. They Plow and salt the main highways well enough to ride within 48 hrs after a storm if you've got to. and if it starts to snow while you're riding, what can you do? wait for a plow or if you're only a few miles from home suck it up and roll on. I hit snow once in Virginia of all places, just a half inch or so on a Mtn. pass. I didn't want to take a lame 100 mi detour so I trekked on at 10-15mph and it was fine, heart pumping, but just fine and here I am bragging about it so I guess it was worth something. Riding in the NE has it's Ad and disadvantages, but I think the few months having to put your bike away make you appreciate it that much more. That being said and if you haven't already figured it out, I am very jealous that you are going riding tomorrow as I will be shoveling out my subaru. see you in Tenn!

Back