• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Putting the T's in Twisties

I agree that VA16 is up there on my list....Helen wanted to flip around and "do it again":laugh

You need to do it both ways. It's like being on a totally different road. I drove Rt 16 round trip twice a week between Marion and Tazewell for 5 years when I worked. I wore out tires very quickly on my company car and once made the trip in 40 minutes. I can't do it that quickly on a bike. I probably don't appreciate it as much as some because it is so familiar.

Ken

Many thanks to the folks who published these routes. :bow I owe you one :beer

One small tip from my experience planning routes - When I plant a via point near a turn, I try to locate it just following the turn. On the route we followed (Roan Mountain) there were a couple of vias located immediately before the turn and on my GPS (2720) the turn direction does not appear until after I pass the via. It was still a good route and we enjoyed riding it.

thanks,
hank

Many thanks to the folks who published these routes. :bow I owe you one :beer

One small tip from my experience planning routes - When I plant a via point near a turn, I try to locate it just following the turn. On the route we followed (Roan Mountain) there were a couple of vias located immediately before the turn and on my GPS (2720) the turn direction does not appear until after I pass the via. It was still a good route and we enjoyed riding it.

well, now that is weird... i *always* put the waypoints up the road after the turn. because nothing drives me more nuts than what you mention.

below is a capture from my roan mountain route... rider enters this from the right and then turns left on TN143.

all of the routes on this thread use this same TN143 waypoint.

maybe you got a route from somewhere else?

(glad at least that you got to ride over roan mountain!)

ian

Attachments

• roan.JPG
    roan.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 48
Ian, I did most of the Dual Sport Routes you posted. I also did the routes in the program. They were also good. I was enjoying the twisty dual sport roads and I took very few photos.​

605330040_zbMmn-XL.jpg

605341967_KV95U-XL.jpg

I was in Del Rio, Tennessee having lunch and these two guys who were exploring with a two wheel drive pick-um up truck told me they tried Rocky top Mountain and could not make it and turned around.

I know if I ever listened to the song "Rocky Top Tennessee" I would regret not trying the 4WD road.

The trail was as good as the song! :bolt

605339740_kzPSz-X3-1.jpg

And . . .

if you mess-up, someone may build ya a roadside memorial​

605340611_4LgRn-X3-1.jpg

Last edited:
Ian, I did most of the Dual Sport Routes you posted. I also did the routes in the program. They were also good. I was enjoying the twisty dual sport roads and I took very few photos.​

605330040_zbMmn-XL.jpg

the photos you did take were good... as usual.

this one looks like Little Stony Creek road.

now, that Rocky Top you shot looks interesting too... please check your PMs. :evil

ian

Back