Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Putting the T's in Twisties

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFlorio View Post
    Ian - thanks much for sharing the garmin routes for the twisties! I'm still kinda new to this sport but can't wait to do em! Thank you again.................Frank
    you are most welcome.

i am going to try to post up some more in time for the rally.

look for my "ultimate twisties" ride soon!

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Well, I did my recon of the rally GPS routes last Friday. I modifed the start / end point to coincide with the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Cruso, which is a good bit closer to the Smokies and the Dragon than Johnson City TN.

My buddy Steve (on a G650 X-Challenge) and I (on my trusty F650GS thumper) headed out of Cruso at 09:00 and took a meandering route over to Max Patch Road. After reaching Wesley Creek Road, the two-lane blacktop eventually turned into 1.5 lanes with a few tight switchbacks. Then it degraded into a graded gravel road with some excellent views:

Then it got fun. The gravel turned into dirt / rock / mud with ruts and occasional puddles. Sometimes you could ride between the ruts and sometimes you had to go splashing through the puddles. If you take this dual-sport ride into the Smokies, leave your panniers at the campground and make sure you have some off-road riding capability. It wasn't horribly technical but I could easily see a novice dirt rider dumping a bike where the trail was slimy.

There was a short break in the action at the top end of Hurricane Creek Road.

Comparing this nice gravel road with the route direction, it was tempting to make the left-hand turn down the mountain. However, a wise man warned me that Hurricane Creek Road can be a real bitch due to the water crossings and other hazards. We followed the route as it was created and headed back into the dirt.

One of us dumped out bike on a sharp banked left hander but I won't reveal his name. We eventually came out onto gravel Forest Service roads which took us down the mountan and underneath I-40.

At some point, we lost the route due to sheer ignorance or a wrong turn. I don't recall seeing any type of intersecting roads but the GPS showed us plowing through the middle of the Pisgah National Forest instead of following Harmon Den Road. Mapsource doesn't show the road we followed although I do have the track. We eventually came to a Y in the road and took the right fork downhill. That brought us out to Mount Sterling Road and into the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

From there, it was an easy gravel road to Davenport Gap and the beginning of paved TN Route 32.
    Last edited by fauster; 05-07-2009 at 03:35 PM.
    I like bananas 'cause they ain't got bones!

Route 32 is the real gem of this route- nothing but tight left and right handers for close to seven miles. And unlike the Dragon, we had it all to ourselves. I'd go back just to run this section again.

I mentioned that we started the ride at 09:00 because all of the low-speed riding and picture taking ate up a bunch of time. We stopped for a late lunch in the town of Cosby and plotted out the route for the rest of the day.

Nothing like enjoying baby back ribs with a fine view.

Based on the time of day, we opted to skip the ride into Cades Cove and instead took the Foothills Parkway down to Route 129. Don't make the same mistake we did - keep off of Route 441 through Gatlinburg! We were baking in our gear as we crawled through tourist hell on a very warm April afternoon.

Between the tight twisties of Route 32 and the fast sweepers on the Parkway, we were ready to do some Dragon slayin'!

And Route 28's high speed twisties were the perfect way to decompress from the traffic on the Dragon.

Once again, time was becoming a factor so we slabbed up Route 74 to the town of Waynesville and then onto Cruso, arriving at 18:00 (6:00 pm). Nine hours and 285 miles to circumnavigate the Smokies,

Ian, thanks for creating and posting the routes. I could have spent a week exploring all of the good roads in this area!

Quote Originally Posted by fauster View Post
    We eventually came out onto gravel Forest Service roads which took us down the mountan and underneath I-40.

At some point, we lost the route due to sheer ignorance or a wrong turn. I don't recall seeing any type of intersecting roads but the GPS showed us plowing through the middle of the Pisgah National Forest instead of following Harmon Den Road. Mapsource doesn't show the road we followed although I do have the track. We eventually came to a Y in the road and took the right fork downhill. That brought us out to Mount Sterling Road and into the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
    if you went under I-40 on Harmon Den you were on the right road. the real roads compared to the computer maps don't quite match up, but afaik, there's only one way through from harmon den to mt. sterling road.

that's usually the way it is up in these parts.

either that, or you took the left that goes up to cataloochie campground, and then turned right just short of it. i thought that road was closed.

that TN32 is a sweet one, eh?

i am really glad you had a good ride.

ian

We started on Harmon Den Rd, crossing the concrete bridge and kept going until the fork in the road. I took a waypoint at the fork (if you're interested), and going to the right (downhill) definitely got us to Mt. Sterling Rd.

TN32...

I took a waypoint at the fork (if you're interested), and going to the right (downhill) definitely got us to Mt. Sterling Rd.
    i'd be interested to see that... i bet you were at where i think you were at.

ian

Thanks Ian. You know those roads like the back of your hand. Those of us from out of town will really benefit from all of your efforts to lay out routes that have plenty of smiles.
    Ride Well

Then it got fun. The gravel turned into dirt / rock / mud with ruts and occasional puddles. Sometimes you could ride between the ruts and sometimes you had to go splashing through the puddles. If you take this dual-sport ride into the Smokies, leave your panniers at the campground and make sure you have some off-road riding capability. It wasn't horribly technical but I could easily see a novice dirt rider dumping a bike where the trail was slimy.
    I wanted to add a clarification that Wesley Church Road and the rutted dirt track are NOT part of Ian's dual-sport route from the rally site to the Smokies and onto the Dragon. This was the road that I used to connect to gravel Max Patch Road and Harmon Den Road.

But it was some fun stuff if you're so inclined.

But it was some fun stuff if you're so inclined.
    just don't turn left at the top of Wesley Creek Road, unless you're so inclined....

DMACCONEL

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    The article and maps are now online.

And remember: ***Always and Adventure*** these roads are fun, a bit challenging and you will have fun (even if you get a little lost at some point.)

Please let me know if you have questions.

Ian
    Can these be done ( DS route ) 2up.
    Dave

And Route 28's high speed twisties were the perfect way to decompress from the traffic on the Dragon.
    28 is a great road.

Here's another suggestion if you have time and want to add some miles to the ride. Continue on 28 between Lauda and Franklin -- the twisties continue for miles. After reaching Franklin, take 64 down to Highlands and then continue on 64 east to either 215 or 276 then back up to Waynesville. It's a is a nice run that takes you up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway. The route from Lauda to Waynesville via 28/64/215 is about 120 miles. It's about the same distance if you take 28/64/276 to Waynesville. If you want to lunch at the Pisgah Inn Restaurant at the top of the Blue Ridge Parkway -- it's just a short ride east (towards Asheville) from the Blue Ridge Parkway / 276 junction. I leave Monday to ride them all over again.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

jendsley

I 40 in Knoxville

Good news for the folks that want the quickest route to the Dragon! I 40 through Knoxville is reopening in June, so that will make it a lot faster to continue through Knoxville, take the Alcoa (airport) exit (129 south).

Quote Originally Posted by DMACCONEL View Post
    Can these be done ( DS route ) 2up.
    Dave
    yes... the roads are pretty tame.

but ask yourself about your skill level, the Parson's Branch road out of the Smokey Mountain Park is not your average graded gravel road.

if you're the least bit uncomfortable being 2-up on something other than gravel, i'd avoid this one.

and also >>> please check to be sure the road is open, as right now it is closed for repairs but scheduled to be open by rally time. <<<

have a good time!

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Quote Originally Posted by jendsley View Post
    Good news for the folks that want the quickest route to the Dragon! I 40 through Knoxville is reopening in June, so that will make it a lot faster to continue through Knoxville, take the Alcoa (airport) exit (129 south).
    ok, cool. that was questionable at the time the article was written.

this would be a much faster route.

thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by TexanRT View Post
    28 is a great road.

....Continue on 28 between Lauda and Franklin -- the twisties continue for miles. After reaching Franklin, ....
    this section of 28 is on the 1,001 Twisties route.
    Last edited by Visian; 05-18-2009 at 12:03 AM.