• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hello Colorado Riders!

rockers

I'm in the process of planning a western States Tour for some of my European friends this June. We plan on renting bikes in Denver and do a 3 week loop out west.

We plan on leaving Denver west on I-70 to Glenwood Springs then following Hwy 82, 133, 50, 550, & 160 to the 4 corners area and plan on visiting Black Canyon, Silverton and Mesa Verde, before heading into Utah.

On our way back we plan on dropping down from Wyoming into Walden then hwy 14 to Fort Collins, then back thru RMNP to Granby, thne hwy 40 back to Denver.

I would appreciate any input on the route or suggested changes (pavement please) and also any recommendations for lodging and places to eat & see. Prefer reasonable and if possible unique!

Thanks
Bob Alexander
08 BMW RA Rally Chair

Bob... You have a pretty good plan there. The only hesitation is the I-70 ride to Glenwood, but you know, as interstates go, this is one of the finest sections in the country. You don't mention how much time you have for CO... for example, could take a longer but finer ride to Glenwood via 285 to Buena Vista, 82 over Independence Pass to Aspen / Carbondale, then south on 133 over McClure.

As for lodging, many fine options. I'd just Google where you think you'll be around evening time. All these towns have great meal options.

OK, one other thought. Seriously, one can spend weeks in Colorado and not see everything. If you ride the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and find yourself in Gunnison, take an extra day and ride the Silver Thread Scenic Byway from just east of Gunnison and find 149 leading south. 100 miles of two wheeled bliss all the way to South Fork on 160. Two sweet towns (Lake City and Creede) along the way your visitors will get a kick out of, two mountain passes, river rides, etc. and etc. Probably my favorite 100 miles in the state. Had a friend take visitors down 149 once and one of the visitors stopped at the side of the road, walked to the pavement, bent down and kissed it. Once you reach South Fork, take 160 over Wolf Creek Pass to Durango for the night. THEN, from Durango do the great San Juan Skyway 550 circle... up to Silverton, Ouray, Ridgway, 62 to Placerville, then 145 to Telluride and on to Cortez and the Four Corners.... much of this in a report here.

One of the best roads in Colorado is Highway 141 thru Gateway. Very well maintained highway, very little traffic, no gawking cagers and few RV's. Spectacular scenery and an absolutly first class car museum with some of the finest examples of American cars presented in a thoughtful and fantastic setting. There is a great motel next to the Gateway museum and restaurant and bar. Not to be missed. Just south of Grand Junction and will take you to Ridgeway or Telluride. Its my favorite ride in Colorado and I have ridden them all at one time or another. I can't remember the last time I rode on I-70. Independence Pass and McClure pass are also favorites. The Redstone Inn in Redstone is a great place to stay and McClure pass is just minutes away. Go thru Paonia to Delta then north to highway 141. You won't regret the extra miles.
Enjoy the great rides of Colorado.

Hello,

As a member of the BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado, I would like to invite you to attend our Saturday breakfast at the Morrison Grill in Morrison, if you are in the Denver area one Saturday. Doesn't matter which one, we do it every week.

You can check out our website at http://www.coloradobeemers.org ..

Also, with regard to I-70, I would avoid it like the plague in the mornings on weekends due to ski traffic...

If you are going to take 70, there is another great round ( 141 ) near Eagle, CO (west of Vail) that goes up toward Steamboat.. What a great road with great twisties.

On another note, I particularly like Monarch pass on Highway 50...

Regards..

Back