• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

6 months to go and.........

nytrashman

6 months to go till the national and still the Gillette logo and info is up on this site. since the super bowl is this weekend and that is prime betting time i say lets start a pool here and see when the site will be updated with the info for this years rally instead of last years. i'm betting late March is when we'll start seeing info for Johnson City. no matter when the info is posted i'll be there as my reservations are already made, but i think the powers that be should update the info on this site. imagine a new comer looking for info on his very first national and only finding info about last years event.

I agree. I would think there would be information about the National. It is a big event that lots of folks plan for. It would be nice to have more information and details about the national if one is new or making plans to attend. Folks like to plan in advance.

At least the RA has this: http://www.bmwra.org/rally/

I'll be there too as I am really looking forward to the rally and meeting up with a good friend. :thumb :brad:brow :bliss

I agree. I would think there would be information about the National. It is a big event that lots of folks plan for. It would be nice to have more information and details about the national if one is new or making plans to attend. Folks like to plan in advance.

At least the RA has this: http://www.bmwra.org/rally/

I'll be there too as I am really looking forward to the rally and meeting up with a good friend. :thumb :brad:brow :bliss

It is a BIG event, indeed! The logistics of planning a party for 7-9,000 attendees (out of the 40,000+ invited) is daunting, to say the least. I'm sure the rally chairs (especially Vance) are working their tails off, many of them holding down regular jobs to boot.

I note in the advance agenda for the January Board meeting this weekend that 45minutes are devoted to rally discussion, so something might be forthcoming after that.

It's hard to be patient, given the winter blahs and, as you pointed out, the need to make plans (vacation time, finances, etc.) in advance.

But I've learned to curb my impatience and trust the men and women involved. Afterall, they truly have our club's best interests at heart.

As for management of the MOA web site, you and I stand a bit closer together. It 'annoys' me that we carry '06 and '07, but with nothing dedicated to '09. It 'annoys' me when the "Picture of the Week' lasts most of the month, or the ON issue pictured is still the December issue, despite it being February next week.

But, then again, it 'annoys' me when it snows anytime other than around Christmas.

Now that I have my impatience in check, I need to work on my 'annoyance control.'

If you know the dates and place of the rally - why do you need it posted on the main web page??

Remember everyone volunteers their time. They are trying to do their best.

I know our club knows about the rally and we are making plans and somehow we are even going to show up whether or not they put it on the main web page. I hope we aren't the only ones there but if we are - we will have a BLAST!!!

+1, not sure what additional info. I need at this point. The dates are reserved on the calendar, the destination is programmed into the GPS, and I have been looking at close up maps of the area (Mapquest and others) to figure out what rides I'll try out when there. Who cares what band I've never heard of will be playing, or what the menu is at this point. Part of me is looking forward to knowing more, but that is probably just out of boredom. If I lived further south and was riding on a regular basis, I wouldn't be spending so much time online and planning future rides. There will be a lot of riding between the time the snow melts and Grey, TN!

+1, not sure what additional info. I need at this point. The dates are reserved on the calendar, the destination is programmed into the GPS, and I have been looking at close up maps of the area (Mapquest and others) to figure out what rides I'll try out when there. Who cares what band I've never heard of will be playing, or what the menu is at this point. Part of me is looking forward to knowing more, but that is probably just out of boredom. If I lived further south and was riding on a regular basis, I wouldn't be spending so much time online and planning future rides. There will be a lot of riding between the time the snow melts and Grey, TN!

Holy Crap, john. Sounds like you and redhot don't even need the web site or the ON.............you'd get by with simply quarterly memos throughout the year. :stick

And that's fine. Nothing wrong with that.

But for many of us, there is no such thing as 'too much information.' Whether it's in this forum or between the covers of the ON, we relish all the intel, details and info that can be provided to us as members of our club.

We enjoy pre-planning, knowing what to expect, being informed and having advance knowledge on subjects of interest to us individually, or other MOA members.

To each, their cup of tea.

See you guys at the Rally!

-1 I respectfully disagree

Well if we know the dates and location then I guess the web committee is wasting their time with putting up any more info - we simply don't need it (or want it), right?

I look at it like this - the rally that's posted on the web site took place LAST year and I think it reflects on the MOA that outdated, old information is posted. There are people looking at this site other than the membership making a determination of whether or not to join MOA, go to the rally or attend as a vendor and I think that outdated info doesn't hold us in the best light.

Having said ALL that I TOTALLY understand that people volunteer for this position and that's great - I appreciate the hard work that goes into the rally. :thumb

I know some smart alec in going to post :fight "Well if you feel so strongly about it, why do YOU volunteer." I don't volunteer because I don't have the time to devote to it. In short, there wouldn't be up to date, accurate information. If I'm going to volunteer to do something I have a responsibility to to do it right.

At a minimum, 30 days after a rally takes place there should be "basic" information on the MOA site showing the date, location and a few photos & Chamber of Commerce links for the next one.

OK I'm done ranting...now someone can go ahead and rip me one....:whistle

The facts.

1. 99% of this site is run by one guy. Me. Part time and barely that.

2. Information comes in at a sometimes snails pace when it comes and then someone needs to post it. Me. I *just* got some of the info you're probably asking for.

3. I've been working off and on a large project, a new site, for way too long. The new site is launching this weekend for the board meeting. Don't believe me? Fine, I can't do anything about that but prove you wrong and be damned happy to check this monster off my list. I'll refrain from giving a litany of excuses.

4. There is no committee of volunteers dragging their heels and endeavoring to disappoint you, the general membership. It's me.

5. I'm burnt out after too many years of this work. The quality of my work reflects this. You've reminded me that I suck and all I can do is pretty much agree at this point. While I'm damn good at what I do when I'm doing it, getting the hours in is getting harder and harder. You'll be happy to hear that my role will be greatly reduced with the launch of the site (I'll fix stuff but otherwise stay away). The various pieces of the site will then be handled by whoever within the staff or membership is tasked with it. Then you can blame someone else. :D

6. I am indeed sorry that I and we have failed to meet your expectations.

7. We will need a cadre of volunteers to handle things like Photo of the Week. Please consider tossing your hat into the ring. This work is much less time consuming with the new site (individual pieces were never large but they add up), and requires little technical knowledge. My only request is that if you handle Photo of the Week that you never post anything with a date stamp or a random photo of a few old guys that means nothing to anyone but those old guys.

8. What did I miss?

9. I'm going to take a break and go paint a piece of meat. If you think it sucks feel free to tell me. :ha

Hello fellow posters,
As the rally chair for 09 I can speak to some of your questions posted above. The entire rally team has been very hard at work planning what we hope to be a party for approximately 10,000 people. The logistics and planning for an event this size involves many people, most of which are volunteers. Countless hours have already been spent and site visits made working on nothing but planning. I mean planning everything from traffic flow, to security to vendor space layout to number and type of food vendors to defining camping space and layout to shuttles to move you around the facility and where to hold seminars and where to park your bike if you stay off site and how many porta-potties weÔÇÖll need to make you comfortable!

This type of strategic planning takes many hours but is not really rally news worthy of reporting via the website or the ON. The details such as music performers can only be announced after contacts are signed and while we have a plan in place and performers in mind, other contractual details that are not complete at this time prevent us from making any statements. Until those contracts are signed, this information is subject to change. I really donÔÇÖt want to make a claim or a statement that in fact does not come to fruition and then disappoint a member with ÔÇ£badÔÇØ information.

Rest assured that your team is working hard and as soon as pertinent details are available we will get the word out. Many may not realize that the articles you read in your monthly ON were submitted 60 days prior to the publishing date. This means your January magazine articles were provided to the media staff by 11/5/08. I can tell you that the details you want today were certainly not complete in early November.

For those who are rally veterans, rest assured we will have all the amenities you have come to expect. There will be plenty of camping, great music, refreshments to suit and a list of vendors that you will not believe. There will be plenty of food to satisfy, seminars to enlighten and friends to fellowship with. All the rally things you like and maybe some you donÔÇÖt expect.

For those who have never attended an International rally, we want you too. I hope you will look around here, talk to the veterans and learn what you can expect. Then mark your calendar, make your plans and come join us. If you even think you want to attend a BIG rally, believe me you do!

I know winter is here and most cant feasibly ride and feed that hunger that we all share to get out and ride. And I know now is the time to make those exciting plans for the time when the weather does break. All I can say is make plans to join us in Tennessee July 16-19 and experience the Mountain MagicSouthern Style! Were planning on ya being there! :wave :dance

Knary-we have never met,but just wanted to say thanks for all you do.What i know about setting up a site like this would fit in the period at the end of this sentence with room let over.See you at 09 ralley. Ed:thumb

The facts.

I personally like the site, the content, and give you a big "thank you" from the peanut gallery.

2. Information comes in at a sometimes snails pace when it comes and then someone needs to post it. Me. I *just* got some of the info you're probably asking for.

3. I've been working off and on a large project, a new site, for way too long. The new site is launching this weekend for the board meeting. Don't believe me?We believe you! Fine, I can't do anything about that but prove you wrong and be damned happy to check this monster off my list. I'll refrain from giving a litany of excuses.

4. There is no committee of volunteers dragging their heels and endeavoring to disappoint you, the general membership. It's me.

5. I'm burnt out after too many years of this work. The quality of my work reflects this. You've reminded me that I suck Huh? It's hard to please this many people, but don't let it get you down. The site and maintenance has been great!and all I can do is pretty much agree at this point. While I'm damn good at what I do when I'm doing it, getting the hours in is getting harder and harder. You'll be happy to hear that my role will be greatly reduced with the launch of the site (I'll fix stuff but otherwise stay away). The various pieces of the site will then be handled by whoever within the staff or membership is tasked with it. Then you can blame someone else. :D

6. I am indeed sorry that I and we have failed to meet your expectations. Not so true. many, many unspoken think what you got going here has been fine. Do what I do; go take one of the wife's midol and settle up to a good cup of tea; it helps!:wave

7. We will need a cadre of volunteers to handle things like Photo of the Week. Please consider tossing your hat into the ring. This work is much less time consuming with the new site (individual pieces were never large but they add up), and requires little technical knowledge. My only request is that if you handle Photo of the Week that you never post anything with a date stamp or a random photo of a few old guys that means nothing to anyone but those old guys.

8. What did I miss?

9. I'm going to take a break and go paint a piece of meat. If you think it sucks feel free to tell me. :ha

In all seriousness Scott, your effort and committment is A+. I don't know who is abitchin at you, but it's uncalled for. Great Job, and thank you! If I were you, after painting a hunk of bovine, I would take a long ride in that volvo, and thank your lucky stars you don't live in Minnesota, where we have a tough time hitting 13 degrees for a high!

Red

I am new to BMWOA and as a result, new to the full content of the website.

Part of the reason I joined was that I wanted full access to the web site.

I have not been disappointed.

I have been around a few websites, and it has been my experience that people who are vocal about a site are that way because they are passionate about the forum and web site. It does not appear that this is much different.

I like folks who are passioante about what they believe in. It doesn't always imply criticism, but often comes across that way over the limited way we get to express ourselves over the 'net. We really only can help this by these silly bouncing thingy's to the right > :brad

I will be glad to help out with something. My folks had several pics published on ON way back when...I realize that it is a group effort that moves this passion forward.

I am new to BMWOA and as a result, new to the full content of the website.

Part of the reason I joined was that I wanted full access to the web site.

I have not been disappointed.

I have been around a few websites, and it has been my experience that people who are vocal about a site are that way because they are passionate about the forum and web site. It does not appear that this is much different.

I like folks who are passioante about what they believe in. It doesn't always imply criticism, but often comes across that way over the limited way we get to express ourselves over the 'net. We really only can help this by these silly bouncing thingy's to the right > :brad

I will be glad to help out with something. My folks had several pics published on ON way back when...I realize that it is a group effort that moves this passion forward.

Welcome to the MOA! Glad to have you onboard.

You're right........criticism of this web site is really constructive in nature (though not always perceived that way) and intended to 'improve the breed.'

The MOA Web Site is the face of the MOA. In this internet age, even more so than our magazine (ON).

Therefore, it needs to be up-to-date and current if it is to be 'our billboard, our ad campaign, our banner and our open invitation.'

I'm glad to hear that the roles of upkeep will now be distributed........"many hands will make light work."

knary has been holding the fort quite well, but less stress in his life should be his reward.

As BMW MOA Media Editor and "he who oversees all media outlets" of the BMW MOA I'd like to chime in if I may.

Scott (Knary) has been working very hard to develop a new web site that is logical, attractive, easy to navigate, flexible, exciting, and easy to publish to. He and I inherited (when we took control of the site) a site of static HTML pages with no content management system. This meant that updating was a burden, and happened less frequently than any of us wanted. The new CMS will allow frequent updates (daily if we can manage it) of news and feature items, and a lot more of it than we have at present.

Hats (and helmets) off to Scott for working so diligently on such an important project! We are all tremendously grateful.

Vince Winkel
Media Editor, BMW MOA
Editor, BMW Owners News
Editor, BMW MOA Online
Come to Johnson City TN in 2009!
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America
636-394-7277

The facts.

3. I've been working off and on a large project, a new site, for way too long. The new site is launching this weekend for the board meeting. Don't believe me? Fine, I can't do anything about that but prove you wrong and be damned happy to check this monster off my list. I'll refrain from giving a litany of excuses.

5. I'm burnt out after too many years of this work. The quality of my work reflects this. You've reminded me that I suck and all I can do is pretty much agree at this point. While I'm damn good at what I do when I'm doing it, getting the hours in is getting harder and harder. You'll be happy to hear that my role will be greatly reduced with the launch of the site (I'll fix stuff but otherwise stay away). The various pieces of the site will then be handled by whoever within the staff or membership is tasked with it. Then you can blame someone else. :D

6. I am indeed sorry that I and we have failed to meet your expectations.

8. What did I miss?

Enjoy your new endeavors and thanks for all you have done for MOA

I guess the "new IT" guy that was introduced at the BOD meeting will now be the recipient of all the input give on the forum. :D

Enjoy your new endeavors and thanks for all you have done for MOA

I guess the "new IT" guy that was introduced at the BOD meeting will now be the recipient of all the input give on the forum. :D

Thanks, Bud.
Jeff won't be in it alone. I'll be here for help behind the scenes. I know the public site's systems better than anyone (eeps) and will, it is assumed, be needed from time to time to adjust things in the future. But I won't, as you point out, be the contact guy for the day to day stuff.

Vince is floating some new content into the new site (he and some of the others working on it have been a little busier with other tasks than we expected) and I'm chasing down some last bugs and formatting issues. :clap

Howdy Bud,

I'll be the contact person for all things Web.

Thanks for your patience.

Vince

Knary?

Thanks Scott.Remember,I am one of the ones who said House?Go for it!
Good work and thanks.
Quitting is not really an option,is it?

Back