• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gerbing's Heated Glove Liners

bobs98

Hey Chromehead !
GerbingÔÇÖs Heated Glove Liners

I picked up a pair of these on Monday and did the install that afternoon. After freezing my fingers off riding home from work last Thursday, I stopped at DeSimone on Friday to check out heated gloves. I continue to ride when the roads are clear, but below 35 F or so, it can get a bit chilly on the finger tips, even for just a 40 minute ride. So I decided to investigate.

I ÔÇÿm not really interested in the full heated gear setup with jacket liner, vest and/or pants, as my body doesnÔÇÖt get that cold. But, gloves could be the answer for extended cold weather riding. IÔÇÖve looked before, but never with the intention to buy, and heated gloves were running in the $150-170 range. Alan, the parts manager, suggested that I look at the liners, which listed for only $79 and had better contact with the hands. He had only one pair of XXL, and he had been holding them for another customer since September. I told him I would check back on Monday, after the Big GIG, and to give the guy one cold chance to pick them up. The GerbingÔÇÖs booth at the show only had mediums (very poorly stocked), so I called for Alan on Saturday, his day off, and left a message.

The glove liners come with the battery hookup, and wires long enough to run thru my jacket, between the liner and down the sleeves. I secured the wires using the snap fasteners of the lining. I also purchased an on/off switch for $15 instead of the $70 thermostat controller. If I was getting the full setup, I probably would splurge for the controller.

Installation was easy, and I removed the tank for the second time in a month. (I will be purchasing Quick Disconnects from Beemer Boneyard soon.) Positive and negative wires to the terminals, run the plug end out to the left side and secure with a couple of zip ties. Put it all back together, only took about 30 minutes, and did a test fire after dinner. It worked! Word of caution: Start the bike before connecting and turning on the heat. Turn off the heat before turning off the bike.

This morning I got to do the real test. Temp on the deck registered 19 F, 17 in Philly, and a forecast high of 26 for the day. Rolled the bike out of the garage and it fired right up with the new PC 680. Plugged in and turned on the liners, with Olympia Windtex gloves as outer layer. I could feel the warmth in less than 3 minutes, and had a toasty ride in to work at 7 am.

My winter combo is now complete. I got the correct size First Gear HT II Overpants with liner (arrived yesterday), First Gear Jaunt jacket with liner, GerbingÔÇÖs heated glove liners under Olympia Windtex gloves, and Nolan flip face helmet. I am looking forward to a longer ride this weekend to give an extended test, but think these heated glove liners are fantastic!

Here's the info from the Gerbing's site:

heated glove liner $79.95

?? Form fitting stretch cordura fabric allows for a snug fit as these gloves are designed to be worn under existing gloves or mitts.
?? Recommended for use with un-insulated riding gloves.
?? Utilizes our patented Microwire?« heating technology ÔÇö the most efficient and durable heating technology ever developed.
?? Heats entire length of each finger, including the thumb, as well as the back of the hand
?? Adjustable Neoprene cuff

Specifications
Heat Microwire?«
Source 12-volts DC
Current 2.2 amps
Watts 27 watts
Surface Temp 135??F +/- 5??F at 32??F

Attachments

• gloveLiner_large.jpg
    gloveLiner_large.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 791
I wish I had known about glove liners before I bought the gloves and thermostat. I love the gloves (G3) I bought this fall but didn't realize there was a cheaper alternative.

Won't need the liners on Friday Bob. Supposedly will be in the 40s. :dance

I wish I had known about glove liners before I bought the gloves and thermostat. I love the gloves (G3) I bought this fall but didn't realize there was a cheaper alternative.

Won't need the liners on Friday Bob. Supposedly will be in the 40s. :dance

Ride Saturday?

Not meaning to hijack this thread but I've been riding for two seasons with the Gerbings gloves. Only once have my hands gotten cold, never, never, never toasty. The one time the hands did get cold, the temp was about 38F. In fact it seems that I really never feel the heat from the gloves but the hands do not get cold other than one ride last November. Is this normal or do the gloves get really warm for everyone else? I do have a thermostat for both the gloves and jacket, but I never make any adjustments for the gloves. I have even switched the glove and jacket plugs into each other's circuit but that still made no difference.

Update

Well, it's been a week. I have ridden with the heated glove liners five days, including a couple of short runs up the interstate in sub freezing temps. These liners are amazing! When worn under my Olympia Wind Tex gloves, my hands are very warm. Gerbing's does recommend wearing a non-insulated glove over them, and perhaps they would not be quite so warm with less on top. Toasty is much better than frozen!

I am very happy with them!

Tried and failed.

I tried the liners with my Gerbings heated jacket and I don't know if the extra draw of wattage made a difference (I ride a F800ST), but I didn't experience toasty heated experience others attest to have had. I ride in Central Virginia near the Blue Ridge on clear days and the temperature will often be in the twenties with wind chill.

The liners let me down. In my testing, my finger tips would get the usual ice treatment and the back of my hands would only be kept lukewarm. When I would come to stops I'd get the toasty feeling, but only on the backs. I still had to employ my heated grips.

I took the liners back and now have some of the FirstGear Carbon heated gloves on order. Review that I've read give them very high credits.

Back