• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

KY Hwy 421

Local Highlights from Franklin to Madison

Starting in Franklin. Gas prices are usually cheap, but not necessarily just by the interstate. You'll pass an Admiral and a Shell after you pass the courthouse downtown. It's usually cheaper there.

Nashville is crowded on weekends! It might make a good lunch stop and a chance to get off the bike and shake a leg. There's a myriad of arts and crafts shops to poke around in. I can recommend a good BBQ shack called Trolly's on the north end of town off to the left on E. Gould St. You can park in a pay lot ($2 for MC) across the street and eat out on a deck where you can see your bike. The Brown County Inn is also very nice, but they often have a waiting list to get in. There's a large Shell before you leave town, but it's on the wrong side heading south and prices can be higher.

web.jpg

Don't eat too much because SR-135 gets pretty twisty south of here! Watch out for 90's with loose gravel, too.

The quaint old country village of Story, Indiana is just 20 minutes south of Nashville along SR-135 (it's on the map) and would be a great place to stop, too. A lot less hustle and bustle than Nashville! The Story Inn has a gravel parking lot. The old general store is pretty authentic turn of the century. It's fun to walk around and look at the relics of a bygone era. There's a tavern which serves food and a courtyard to eat outside in nice weather. It's also a B&B and is reportedly haunted! They have a fine-dining restaurant open in the evenings with excellent food and a good selection of wines. Definitely worth a stop.

The route will take you right through downtown Madison, Indiana along the Ohio River. It's a beautifully well-preserved collection of Federal style architecture. Madison was a boomtown that went bust and left a bunch of historic structures untouched by 'improvements.' Now a lot of buildings are in the National Register of Historic Places. There's a small restaurant and bar along the riverfront on Vaughn called The Madison Lighthouse with good parking and outside dining. They serve an excellent rueben! Another place called Hinkles is right on Main Street/421/56 and is well-rated, but I haven't been there yet. Here's the Delta Queen pulling out of Madison, sadly, for the last time...

web.jpg

If anyone is interested, I am riding down to Palm Coast FL on Sunday(end of MOA Rally) for a couple of days. Free stay at my cousins and heading back on Tuesday via GA with a free stay there at a friends. Arriving at RA Rally Thursday. Feel free to join me! My wife does not like me riding alone so I am posting this for both of us.:brow
Steve

I am 1.5 east of Lexington,KY and can be of help with my area if you have questions about a route. Hitting the Mountain Parkway via I-64 east will take you to the Natural Bridge State Park and Red River Gorge Geological Area(where I live) for some nice rides and from there you can do several roads south towards the rally. Other nice spots to visit in that area;Google any of these: Cumberland Gap, Black Mountain, Pine Mountain,Breaks Interstate Park. I'll say that 421 is mild compared to many other rides in KY. Over toward Mandy's "stomping grounds" is Shaker Village and some neat scenery there abouts. As for being dry in Berea, Lexington is not,( if you want a good generalization about alcohol in KY-the whole state is pretty much dry with the exception of the larger cities and a few smaller towns and some college towns) - Berea is a nice town for people that enjoy crafts; there are many craftspeople that live there and have shops plus the Artisans Center.For music people there are several venues there-Renfro Valley & nearby the Music Museum. If you are coming from the north, consider coming down one of several scenic routes through Ohio and then coming into KY just west of Maysville . Google "covered bridges in KY" for some ideas. Also, Washington ,KY is the oldest town in KY and even the post office is a log cabin-no, it isn't a kit. South on lots of paved rural roads from there towards TN .PM if you have questions or certain things you like to do or see. I am a hiker among other things so can lean you that way. If you are trailering I can send you to lakes and golf.

Last edited:
A Fellow Wildcat / Favorite eating places in the Lexington area

If you want suggestions of good places to eat/visit/get coffee around Lexington, Richmond or Berea in Kentucky, let me know. That is my old college stomping ground.:ear

Two favorite places to eat in the Lexington area were Ramsey's Diner and Hall's On The River when I lived in Lexington for a 3 year residency more years ago than I care to admit. They were still good last week when I was back in KY for a week-long 1500 mile ride.

Back