• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Woes . . .

mypetersahn

MyPetersahn
Looking for input on helmet selection. I am familiar with DOT/Snell and SHARP ratings. I currently use a Schuberth C1 and its in need of replacement since; a) I just want a new helmet, b) its is getting a little old and c) I was recently fitted by the Arai factory guy at the DC show and now know my C1 is way to big--and I really just want a new helmet.

I am at about 59.5cm and the Arai guy recommended the Profile as I have sort of a long oval head. I tried the Profile, but it seems to fit a tad (not terribly) tight in the rear of my head (maybe needs "broken in??"). My other choice seems to be the Shoei RF-1000 (I had an RF-900--now I know it was too big too) and I liked it at the time. I have been somewhat taken in by the flip-up style, but can't find one I feel comfortable with (that I can afford or is sold in the US), and from what I'm reading, I'm leaning for more of the safey angle of the traditional full face.

I am overwhelmed with info at this point (I think I've burned out Webbikeworld's helmet page) but would still like to hear from others' experiences.

Thanks,

JEP:banghead

I just bought a scorpion evo 1000. Love it. But it's such a personal choice, I would recommend that you find a store that has a large selection and try on everything.

This VEMAR is going to be my next helmet. I tried one on and liked it. I will be getting the one with the Bluetooth installed. Its advertised in the MOA ON. Good luck in you search and welcome aboard. We RT riders need to stick together.

Attachments

• Vemar_blue_tooth.jpg
    Vemar_blue_tooth.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,063
heat and humidity

I like my Nolan flip-up, especially during the Chicago summers. Pulling up the chin bar really helps mitigate the heat and humidity which, as you know, is wonderfully amplified in slow traffic.

It's hard for me to believe flip ups would be given any good safety rating if they weren't actually safe. And no manufacturer would leve himself open to liability.

Your helmet ought to be a bit snug at first. After several hours of wear, the liner will conform to your head and you should find it more comfortable. If it moves around on your head, it's not safe. If it's comfortable when you first try it on, it's the wrong size. If you're faced with the choice of one that's a little too tight or one that's comfortable right away, go with a little too tight.

This is what I've heard for years and it makes sense to me. Hope it's helpful to you.

My Nolan flip up has been very good, wife and I have the intercom, use it on a RT both local and far.

Shoei Multitec... huge fan... have two after being so impressed with the first... wow! :thumb

I wear an Arai Profile, and would mention (if the tech didn't) that they have different thickness removeable comfort liners and cheekpads. Maybe the thinner one would do the trick for you. I do think you're right to keep shopping until you find one that is the right shape, as well as size.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. I forgot to mention that I have done some looking at the Vemar Jiano as well--but haven't been able to get my hands on one to try on.

I just found the Evo 1000 and it seems like a good unit--especially with the inner sunshade ala Schuberth.

I would definately need different cheek pads with the Profile, which I had counted on as I look like a pucker fish with it on.

Also like the Multi-Tec but it seems a bit pricey (but not too bad). I did spend some time wearing the Arai, the Shoei(s) and the Exo 1000 the other day at my local shop (Morton's BMW--Fredericksburg, VA--highly recommended by the way). I'm at the decision point, which is why am laying all the cards on the table.

BTW--been a member for quite a while (7 years or so?) but, haven't used the site much until lately--good stuff.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

JEP:thumb

I wear an Arai Profile, and would mention (if the tech didn't) that they have different thickness removeable comfort liners and cheekpads. Maybe the thinner one would do the trick for you. I do think you're right to keep shopping until you find one that is the right shape, as well as size.

My Scorpion EX0 1000 has besides a flip down sun visor, inflatable liners which can be pumped up to complete the fit of the cheek pads.

Broke Down

I finally broke down and ordered a Vemar Jiano. Will advise how it works out. BTW--ordered from extremesupply, same price as motonation, but free shipping.

We'll see. . .

It's hard for me to believe flip ups would be given any good safety rating if they weren't actually safe. And no manufacturer would leve himself open to liability.

Your helmet ought to be a bit snug at first. After several hours of wear, the liner will conform to your head and you should find it more comfortable. If it moves around on your head, it's not safe. If it's comfortable when you first try it on, it's the wrong size. If you're faced with the choice of one that's a little too tight or one that's comfortable right away, go with a little too tight.

This is what I've heard for years and it makes sense to me. Hope it's helpful to you.

#1) which fip-up has been given a good safety rating, and by whom? DOT? DOT just asks the manufacturer "do your helmets comply with our standards?". company says "yes they do" and they get a DOT sticker. SNELL actually tests helmets, and when/if they pass, they become Snell Certified. Only 1 flipup helmet has even been given to Snell for testing, and is about to receive certification. I have not yet been given definitive info, but i believe it to be AGV's Longville.

#2) if the choice is between "too tight" or "too loose"... go to a different store that sells a different line of helmets. every amnufacturer builds to a different shell, and sometimes more than one within a brand (I have several AGVs, and they all fit a bit differently, and all are the same size).

Your final fit should pretty much be Goldilocks- "just right". if it's a FF lid, maybe a tad snug in the cheek pads. everywhere else should fit correctly, right from the get-go. the padding around the majority of the shell has very little real give to it. when it finally stretches out- it's time to be replaced.

Funny we should have the exact same head size and with an elongated head. You've already been given the advice I would give so I'll just add that I've been riding with an HJC flip up for almost a year and am quite happy with it. I like the flip-up and I know it is not as safe as the full face. However it's better than the open face and I'll just have to take the chance. I like the flip up. It's perfect for me around town with the shield up or on the road with the shield down. Works great for freezing weather too.

The full face is just way too confining for me. My proferial vision is restricted to the point that I fell it unsafe to use. I can also use the flip up for a sun visor and that's very important to me. I rode from Atlanta Ga. to Mederian Miss. one time with the full face on, with no way to shield the sun except with my hands. I was straight into the sun.
Dangerous and I'll never to that again. My flip up goes with me now. I have an open face with kinda a visor but the temps were below freezing that day so it was out.

Try a bunch on and buy the one that fits.

#2) if the choice is between "too tight" or "too loose"... go to a different store that sells a different line of helmets. every amnufacturer builds to a different shell, and sometimes more than one within a brand (I have several AGVs, and they all fit a bit differently, and all are the same size).

That's what I like about Arai; they offer different shapes as well as different sizes.
Other manufacturers are starting to do likewise, finally. Optional or adjustable liners or cheekpads are another way of getting it "just right". The days of the "one shape fits all" helmet offered in a small range of sizes are going away.

I'm not plugging my favorite brand, just making a point. Shop around and try on lots of helmets from different makers until you find one that fits your head right.
A helmet that earns the highest safety ratings is not safe if it doesn't fit correctly.
We don't have to compromise any more, so why settle for something and be unsafe and/or uncomfortable?

I'm currently looking for a replacement for my aging Schuberth C1.

Been thinking about the safety / convenience of a full face / flip up design.

The new Schuberth C3 is not available here in the states. It can be had for a price and risk of being stuck with it after ordering from the EU and getting the wrong size. They have reportedly changed the head shape, so I can't be sure my current size would fit the same.

I tried on all the available full-face and flip-up designs at our local motorcycle store. They did not have the Arai Corsair V in stock yet. That helmet looks very nice. Of course it's a full-face design. The thing I haven't liked about their helmets was the way they cut my peripheral vision. The new Corsair V has widened the eye port by 5mm. So maybe that will help. I'd like to try one and see.

I was surprised I liked the Shark Evoline helmet as much as I did. It's a very comfortable lid on the inside with the type of lining they use. More comfortable for me than the Nolan N103 and Shoei Multitech.

"I did spend some time wearing the Arai, the Shoei(s) and the Exo 1000 the other day at my local shop (Morton's BMW--Fredericksburg, VA--highly recommended by the way). "

And then after using the dealer for fit, you went and bought on line? Can not bring myself to doing that with equipment that is available at my dealers in my area.

Back