Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Woes . . .

Question Helmet Woes . . .

Looking for input on helmet selection. I am familiar with DOT/Snell and SHARP ratings. I currently use a Schuberth C1 and its in need of replacement since; a) I just want a new helmet, b) its is getting a little old and c) I was recently fitted by the Arai factory guy at the DC show and now know my C1 is way to big--and I really just want a new helmet.

I am at about 59.5cm and the Arai guy recommended the Profile as I have sort of a long oval head. I tried the Profile, but it seems to fit a tad (not terribly) tight in the rear of my head (maybe needs "broken in??"). My other choice seems to be the Shoei RF-1000 (I had an RF-900--now I know it was too big too) and I liked it at the time. I have been somewhat taken in by the flip-up style, but can't find one I feel comfortable with (that I can afford or is sold in the US), and from what I'm reading, I'm leaning for more of the safey angle of the traditional full face.

I am overwhelmed with info at this point (I think I've burned out Webbikeworld's helmet page) but would still like to hear from others' experiences.

Thanks,

JEP
    Jeff Peterson
    Murfreesboro, TN
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

emperkin
    I just bought a scorpion evo 1000. Love it. But it's such a personal choice, I would recommend that you find a store that has a large selection and try on everything.

This VEMAR is going to be my next helmet. I tried one on and liked it. I will be getting the one with the Bluetooth installed. Its advertised in the MOA ON. Good luck in you search and welcome aboard. We RT riders need to stick together.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by emperkin View Post
    I just bought a scorpion evo 1000. Love it. But it's such a personal choice, I would recommend that you find a store that has a large selection and try on everything.
    +1

heat and humidity

I like my Nolan flip-up, especially during the Chicago summers. Pulling up the chin bar really helps mitigate the heat and humidity which, as you know, is wonderfully amplified in slow traffic.

It's hard for me to believe flip ups would be given any good safety rating if they weren't actually safe. And no manufacturer would leve himself open to liability.

Your helmet ought to be a bit snug at first. After several hours of wear, the liner will conform to your head and you should find it more comfortable. If it moves around on your head, it's not safe. If it's comfortable when you first try it on, it's the wrong size. If you're faced with the choice of one that's a little too tight or one that's comfortable right away, go with a little too tight.

This is what I've heard for years and it makes sense to me. Hope it's helpful to you.
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

My Nolan flip up has been very good, wife and I have the intercom, use it on a RT both local and far.
    J C Hughes
    "When you play, play hard, when you work don't play at all".
    Colonel Theodore Roosevelt

BMWBHW
    Shoei Multitec... huge fan... have two after being so impressed with the first... wow!

Bob
    I wear an Arai Profile, and would mention (if the tech didn't) that they have different thickness removeable comfort liners and cheekpads. Maybe the thinner one would do the trick for you. I do think you're right to keep shopping until you find one that is the right shape, as well as size.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. I forgot to mention that I have done some looking at the Vemar Jiano as well--but haven't been able to get my hands on one to try on.

I just found the Evo 1000 and it seems like a good unit--especially with the inner sunshade ala Schuberth.

I would definately need different cheek pads with the Profile, which I had counted on as I look like a pucker fish with it on.

Also like the Multi-Tec but it seems a bit pricey (but not too bad). I did spend some time wearing the Arai, the Shoei(s) and the Exo 1000 the other day at my local shop (Morton's BMW--Fredericksburg, VA--highly recommended by the way). I'm at the decision point, which is why am laying all the cards on the table.

BTW--been a member for quite a while (7 years or so?) but, haven't used the site much until lately--good stuff.

Thanks again and keep it coming.

JEP
    Jeff Peterson
    Murfreesboro, TN
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Vemar

Does anyone actually own a Vemar Jiano?
    Jeff Peterson
    Murfreesboro, TN
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    I wear an Arai Profile, and would mention (if the tech didn't) that they have different thickness removeable comfort liners and cheekpads. Maybe the thinner one would do the trick for you. I do think you're right to keep shopping until you find one that is the right shape, as well as size.
    My Scorpion EX0 1000 has besides a flip down sun visor, inflatable liners which can be pumped up to complete the fit of the cheek pads.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Broke Down

I finally broke down and ordered a Vemar Jiano. Will advise how it works out. BTW--ordered from extremesupply, same price as motonation, but free shipping.

We'll see. . .
    Jeff Peterson
    Murfreesboro, TN
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Quote Originally Posted by mypetersahn View Post
    I finally broke down and ordered a Vemar Jiano. Will advise how it works out. BTW--ordered from extremesupply, same price as motonation, but free shipping.

We'll see. . .
    Can't waite to see what you think of it. I'm sure you will be riding long before us up here.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Depending on when it gets here--maybe this weekend!

Jeff Peterson
    Murfreesboro, TN
    R1200RT
    MOA#91237, IBA#40505,

Quote Originally Posted by bmwbhw View Post
    Shoei Multitec... huge fan... have two after being so impressed with the first... wow!
    +1
    Thanks
    01 R1150GS
    75 R75/5 Toaster LWB Red
    Al Navecky Jr