• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chicken Fried Bacon Run-Texas style

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

I may not survive the lunch tomorrow so here is my pre -ride report. Claimed to convert many a vegetarian.I promise pictures next week if I survive! That arctic blast is supposed to waver for a 60's degree day.

Sodolak's Country inn is our destination, about a 200 mile trip one way if we avoid the busy roads. It is located up near College Station in Aggieland. The actual town name is SNOOK.

Here is a Texas Country Reporter piece on it from a few years back...oh, they also have HUGE steaks and porkchops....YUM-YUM and heck with the diet tomorrow!

We are meeting at the corner of FM2001 and IH-35 at the gas station across the interstate from Cabela's in Buda if anyone is brave enough. Leave time is 10:30 AM Saturday.

object>

The Pictures

Met up Saturday morning under gray skies. Temp was 50 ish with forecast of mid 60's and maybe some sun by afternoon. Fifteen bikes showed up just southeast of Austin at IH-35 and FM 2001.

456463353_hPMnn-M.jpg

Scouting trip had gas here two weeks ago...OOOPS!

456462878_NiN8x-M.jpg

The Balcones Escarpment basically is divided along the IH-35 corridor. rolling hills and farmland east of it and the limestone heavy terrain to the west. This shot is headed east on FM 2001. Most of the roads are fairly straight,this road has some nice curves in between the long straightaways. Not as scenic as west of the interstate and I apolgize for the quality of the shots this trip...off day for my limited skills.

456463697_i9bJv-M.jpg

456464794_4mdQD-M.jpg

We junctioned at Hwy 21, the El Camino Real, headed north towards Bastrop.On a better day we had a longer more back roads route planned,but everyone was hungry and a few cold so we made a direct shot to Snook. The majority of Hwy 21 is boring to me until you get near Bastrop. There is a small town called Mustang Ridge one needs to heed the 65 MPH limit thru...known for their frequent gifting of performance awards!

456464270_EnoRt-M.jpg

Past Bastrop on Hwy 21, you cross into the Lost Pines,named for the fact they are so far removed geographically from the East Texas Piney Woods they usually are seen in. This road used to be very dangerous before it was divided and expanded to four lanes on it's way to College Station and TX A&M.

456464463_v9opa-M.jpg

Miles of farm & ranchland later ,we make the stop. Very simple signage and building.

456469431_ad7mQ-M.jpg

456468729_eEow4-M.jpg

Waiting on the food! we ordered the Chicken Fried Bacon and amongst the frenzy and my hunger, did not get a picture of a whole plate of this stuff. Actually very crispy and not greasy at all! It was gone very quickly...

456465442_7GP43-M.jpg

The small chicken fried steak and one piece of bacon left.

456466957_yVddY-M.jpg

a small T-Bone
456467530_24PJ8-M.jpg

A happy Jerry

456468045_rYMTW-M.jpg

My Rings & medium sized T-bone

456468242_tyh7F-M.jpg

456468712_MHNUv-M.jpg

Full and ready to head back...

456469564_3WEtR-M.jpg

456470122_osXbt-M.jpg

Helen can gas up her own bike without me...see? The GS riders didn't need fuel...the R's, S's and K's needed a fill up

456470439_TXSzF-M.jpg

The road back home...more flat farmland with an occasional turn.

456465226_7FL34-M.jpg

And this one lane RR underpass.

456473146_jHxMx-M.jpg

Some towns have football, some rodeo arenas for Friday night and Saturday entertainment...Still near Aggie Land!

456470845_rNhvF-M.jpg

The sun tried to break thru,but did not last long. No rain but a tad breezy at end of day. Everyone split up one by one as we neared IH-35...some returning towards San Antonio, others to Austin and us in between.

Winter Sucks!

Glad you guys had a good/safe ride, I'm just jealous. Gotta try making that chick fried bacon...............

Winter Sucks!
QUOTE]

Yeah, even here sometimes...
Our Reidmeister( my Bro-In-Law soon) had a "50 degrees or better at start or we are not going" call he made Friday night..it was 52! Actually felt worse with that nagging windchill arctic blast y'all had this week. Sunday was sunny and near 70:scratch

Springs right around the corner right?

So is that your way of rubbing more salt in the wound? 70 and sunny? 50 too cold to ride? I'd be happy for 40 and sunny! I'm sending a flock of birds your way to poo all over your bike!!!

So is that your way of rubbing more salt in the wound? 70 and sunny? 50 too cold to ride? I'd be happy for 40 and sunny! I'm sending a flock of birds your way to poo all over your bike!!!

:laugh :laugh :laugh :whistle well, didn't mean it that way...sorry about that!

The birds always find me or my bike so please don't

Back