• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike Lift Options

reimerdavid

Looking into purchasing a lift sometime this year and would like to hear from the "All Knowling" as to what are my best options. My current ride is a 2007 R1200RT. What works for you ???

Search 'Motorcycle lift' and you'll get all you want.

Ralph Sims

Several years ago I picked up the Harbor Freight version for $199. Then I removed the wheel chock which is totally inadequate and replaced it with a $69 drive in self locking chock. It works really Great!!! Those self locking chocks are worth their weight in gold whether on a lift or trailer. You can even bolt one to a sheet of plywood and throw in in the back of your pickup. Nothing like being able to load and tie down a bike all by yourself and do it safely.

Looking into purchasing a lift sometime this year and would like to hear from the "All Knowling" as to what are my best options. My current ride is a 2007 R1200RT. What works for you ???

There are a lot of variables to consider on this subject.

How often are you going to use it? Once a year or once a week. More useage spend a little more and get a well made lift.
What are you going to use it for? Just bikes or riding lawn mowers etc. I.e. do you require side extension.

How heavy of a bike are you going to lift? Heavier the bike the sturdier the lift required.

Do you need a drop plate to remove the rear tire on your bikes. Shaft drive Beemers don't require this. I am not about the "F" series models though.

I personally went with a Handy Lift because I have been using it for more than lifting bikes.

Handy Industries introduced a new model recently that listed for around $600 (I think).

As Ralph Simms stated, "Do a search and read for hours.

Roy

I just ordered this one. They didn't pop right up on a web search, they look like the best buy for the money. Includes saddle jack, tire vise and extends up to 110" long.

motorcycle-lifts-tcml-gallery-350px.jpg

http://www.completehydraulic.com/lifts-motorcycle.html

Harbor Freight lift:)

I bought the HF lift a couple years ago and its never failed me and I use it a lot! From KLTs to my current GSA, it has performed flawlessly. Why spend more? One of my best buys, ever:) Randy:thumb :usa

sorry I dropped the ball

Not trying to steal the thread here but; someone e-mailed me about where I found the $69 chocks I mentioned earlier in this thread. I've been gone for over a month tending to my oldest son who broke his back in a sky diving accident. I lost the e-mail during this weird period of my life. I will ask my youngest son (the motorcyclist, not the skydiver) where he picked it up (if he remembers) and will post it here. My son , the sky diver is doing as well as can be expected. HE CAN WALK!! His mother, my wife, is with him in Denver.

Stan: Hope your son gets better soon. That's a helluva thing!

WRT lifts, I have THIS ONE from Harbor Freight. I went ahead and got the one with the drop plate. It works great. It's the current home of my '77 Airhead.

Although the front wheel vise works, it's not the greatest. I'm thinking of getting one of the more "automatic" versions.

wheel chock

In regards to the self locking wheel chock I mentioned in two previous posts on this thread; go to Harborfreight.com and put chock in the search. The self locking chock pops right up and it only costs $29.99!!! A while back I bought one for $69 somewhere and a friend of mine bought this one from Harbor Freight last fall for $40. You sure can not go wrong at $29

My HF Lift, no chocks;

I took the front wheel vise chock off my lift and like it without it there. I like my front wheel loose and find it easier to work on the bike. I strap the bike down everytime, but even with the vise chock, you better do this. Its never been a problem, without it. 100s of ups/downs without the front wheel vised. Randy:thumb :usa

Back