• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle Rider Training in Texas

BeemerMike

Republic of Texas
OK, first, I'm not sure I'm real happy with Texas being lumped together within "Mountain/Prairie" (arguably, it should have its own separate forum!), but I guess OK for now. ;)

My real question is that in Texas there seems to be the MSF Basic Rider Course and also something called "The Course for Motorcycle Riders", apparently developed by the Texas Department of Public Safety, Motorcycle Safety Unit. From what I can tell, they seem to be very similar, and The Course may have even developed off the MSF BRC. The two seem to have the same number of hours. It looks like some teaching locations are listed for both, which seems to indicate they may be essentially, or de facto, the same course. My wife is signed up for one of "The Course" classes, because the location is much more convenient.

Does anyone know the story? Thanks.

I believe this is the same course that was, or still is, being used in Oregon state. I know there was some kind of infringment lawsuit going on at one time. It was rather pathetic in a way because each side wanted the glory/credit and the riders safety was almost an after thought it seemed like to me. I'm sure it is on the web somewhere, and a better explanition.:banghead

I was checking out the course my GF and myself( insurance discount- ya know?)
and Harris community college has courses. I will check up on them soon.
It looks like I will be getting some time off with the economy soon..

Dang it.

Look forward to meeting ya some day Mike!

My understanding was "the Course" was run by the DPS unit and is basically the BRC, supplying bikes and such. I have seen their DPS trailer around Austin at a local HS stadium.
Most of the local HD dealers around Central TX run the BRC weekly at their locations using little Buells.
Helen and I took an ERC course for a ticket(s) issue run by these guys below. Seems to be several companies doing it with same curriculum as DPS. The ERC was on a seperate area of the lot on 250cc Hondas as I was circling the box doing figure 8's on an 1150 watching the Duc and the Wing struggle!

http://wheels-in-motion.com/index.html

Their site may have a lot of FAQ's, they have a lot of locations around TX also.
and as a disclaimer...I do not have any interest or connections...they were just close.

All Texas motorcycle operator courses are based on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course and Experienced Rider Course. Team Oregon has won against the lawsuit brought on by MSF against their in-house developed training program.
Total Control courses had to be specially approved by TX DPS before being taught in TX by the providers.
Just a little ways North of Texas is Oklahoma; same classes. BRC goes for $150, ERC goes for $75. Total Control goes for $195 30-days prior to class, $295 29th day to day of class.
http://myweb.cableone.net/hawkracer116/
http://www.gptech.org/ (ask for Jerry Webb)

Hope these help!

THANKS! :thumb

Thanks for everyone's input. My subsequent research seems to indicate that "The Course" is ESSENTIALLY the same as the MSF BRC, just without actually having the MSF BRC name attached to it. Passing "The Course" also satisfies the riding portion of the Texas Motorcycle License test.

Anyway . . . she takes the course this weekend. I am going to sit in on a little of the classroom part tomorrow morning (if they'll let me) to see what exactly they are teaching.

BTW - I can tell she is a little nervous about the course. Hopefully, all will go well.

Back