• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

airhawk seat

Following Airhawk's instructions to use as little air as needed, I think I'm about 1/2" higher. I like the Airhawk on my R1100R.
regards,
Mark

I'd say mine lifts me 1/4 to 3/8" If you're up at 1/2" then you probably have too much air in it. I hate the floaty sensation I get with too much air in it.

Airhawk Seat . . . .

I bought one about two weeks ago in Miami. The trip from NC was miserable. My seat feels great until about an hour has passed.
The Airhawk made it a joy to drive back.
The instructions are to have about 1/2 " of space between butt and cycle seat.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT

Approximately how much does the Airhawk raise the rider from the motorcycle seat?
TIA

I have had mine for 4 years.........GREAT comfort and can ride much longer. I inflate mine so my butt is just off the seat. So there is a slight increase in height...and I DO notice the difference when it is on. I feel a little taller in the saddle.

I'm not sure, but it was enough that I didn't like being higher up in the airstream (I'm already 6'3"). I didn't find it any more comfortable, but someone here bought it from me and he loves it... so like many other 'comfort' accessories, its going to be a fairly individual preference. I like the beaded seat cushions personally. I started out making my own from car seat covers, now I just buy them from beadrider.com (the usual disclaimers - just a happy customer)

FWIW - here's a lower cost alternative: http://airventusa.com/ultracool4.htm

I see the primary reason for any sort of seat cover as providing air-flow. When you get air circulating under your arse, you stay cooler and dryer eliminating discomfort. Good wicking shorts are another tool in the arsenal (I like underarmor, but there are many cycle short options and LDcomfort). So I don't see how this pad is going to help. The Airhawk has numerous bladders and air can flow between them, beaded covers have numerous beads that allow air to flow between them, this thing is going to be a lot like sitting on your vinyl seat - no air flow. If the problem is discomfort due to a hard seat, this should help, but it won't help any issue related to heat/airflow. JMO.

I see the primary reason for any sort of seat cover as providing air-flow. When you get air circulating under your arse, you stay cooler and dryer eliminating discomfort. Good wicking shorts are another tool in the arsenal (I like underarmor, but there are many cycle short options and LDcomfort). So I don't see how this pad is going to help. The Airhawk has numerous bladders and air can flow between them, beaded covers have numerous beads that allow air to flow between them, this thing is going to be a lot like sitting on your vinyl seat - no air flow. If the problem is discomfort due to a hard seat, this should help, but it won't help any issue related to heat/airflow. JMO.

Not that I work for Airvent, but as their name implies, their design provides ventilation - not blockage. From this page: http://airventusa.com/foam.htm

"our specially reticulated AirventTM foam, laminated to a base layer of H-R foam, provides not only excellent cushioning, but has a porous cell structure that allows for air to circulate and flow through to the rider and evaporate moisture."

Attachments

• arrowfoam.gif
    arrowfoam.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 507
AirHawk Experience

Approximately how much does the Airhawk raise the rider from the motorcycle seat?
TIA

I have had two Airhawks. The first one I bought for a 1985 Honda Goldwing at the Honda Hoot in Knoxville, TN quite a while ago. The Airhawk Company Rep. said to me and my friend that if we bought the Airhawks for our motorcycles he would refund our money if we rode home to Toledo, OH and did not like the way the Airhawk performed for us. Our butts were sore and we bought the Airhawks and kept them because they were so good. I used that same one on a BMW after I got and newer 1800cc Goldwing and it worked well until it leaked at the seam. The second one I got was sold with the BMW. The first was leaking after three years. Now I have a newer BMW with a Russel custom seat and the 2001 Goldwing with a stock seat that is as good as a custom seat as far as comfort.

In my experience the Airhawk is a very good product and will do the job for you after you figure out how much air to put in it for your comfort. I would fill mine with air then sit on it, on a concrete porch. Then let air out slowly until I felt my butt bones touch the hard surface. Then just put in a little air and sit down again to make sure I was barely floating above the hard surface. That was the most comfortable and easiest way for me to adjust the seat. You do not even need a seat with the Airhawk as I used a thin piece of plywood the Airhawk and a sheepskin on my old 1985 K-Bike for years. I did that to put me lower to the ground and to keep from buying a custom seat for an old bike.

When I had the leak in the Airhawk I called the Company and they asked how long I have used the Airhawk. I told him that I have used it for three years. He said you have got good service from it as they are designed to last two years, sure enough in the literature it states that same thing Two Years! Patching it was not very efficient for me as the rubber was deteriorating and it leaked again.

My advice is to use the Airhawk until you save enough for a custom seat. Or buy the custom seat first and forget the Airhawk. Sheepskin is great in hot weather and cold too. This is a long post but maybe this info can help someone.

Back