• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Smudge

Vagabird

A wandering Bird
It was only 6 degrees out but was wonderfully clear, so I took my new camera (a Christmas present) out to try some pictures. This is the first one:
448973418_yYVii-L.jpg

Just before the camera froze or it got too dark for the autofocus to operate, I took this one:
448974488_VRyAv-L.jpg

QUESTION: What do you think caused the smudges in the last one?

I'm new to all this - the camera and taking anything more than snapshots. Any help will be appreciated.

OK, I give up! Can you be more specific on the location and what you are calling smudges?

First. I dont see what 'smudges' from what you posted. Most likely what occurred is a 'fogging' somewhere in the camera's lens on the inside of the lens from the cooling of the lens material compared to the temperature of the air that is trapped in the camera. Also the camera was most likely manufactured in more humid climate. WY is a very dry place over all. Also if it is most like i am guessing the model and make of you camera does not have interchangable lens like most SLRs and is a more high end point and shot digital. If it is a SLR you could have condesation on the inner section of the lens or that cooled last.

or

you might have touched the lens and not know it and have a touch of finger oil on it while out in the cold working to get you picture since it was 6F if the lens is dirt get a lens cleaning cloth to protect it from scratching when cleaning it

First, let me apologize. I should never post things in the evening. :blush

I'll clean the lens and camera, but I now think it was probably a little condensation. I took the camera from the house to very cold, very clear (therefore, low humidity) air. It and I were about frozen when I shot the last shot. And this mornig the smudging doesn't look as bad. Here's a blowup of the larger smudge:
449307116_Kqqsn-L.jpg

(Hmmm, it doesn't really show very well when posted on the forum.)

Thanks for your help, OUTBACKUFO. And to everyone else, as Lilly Tomlin used to say: Never mind....

Last edited:
Back