• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What is the policy regarding guns on the rally site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud

It is what it is.
Some of our members ride and carry.

Is there a policy in place regarding guns on the rally grounds?

I see no mention in prior years rally FAQ's.

Rally site & guns

Nobody ever told you to NOT open Pandora's box?:dunno

Holy moly!!!;)

Given the atmosphere of society and this topic, WHY would you ever come to a public event while armed?

and..............................

Given the atmosphere of society and this topic, WHY would you ever come to a public event while UN armed?

Ok then, let's see.......... we got fuel, we got oxygen, just need an ignition source.
My job here is done. May we all survive the fireworks.

Nobody ever told you to NOT open Pandora's box?:dunno

Holy moly!!!;)

Given the atmosphere of society and this topic, WHY would you ever come to a public event while armed?

and..............................

Given the atmosphere of society and this topic, WHY would you ever come to a public event while UN armed?

Ok then, let's see.......... we got fuel, we got oxygen, just need an ignition source.
My job here is done. May we all survive the fireworks.

You are suggesting that it was somehow wrong to ask the question?

From prior year rally FAQ's

Will there be organized activities for my kids?
KIDS LOVE THESE RALLIES.

There will be a children's center for kids 5-12 with movies, arts & crafts, and other fun activities.

In addition, the teen center (for those 13 and older) will be a gathering place with games, music, and activities geared to this age group.

Check the Rally program for times and location of these activities throughout the rally.

I don't consider it kid friendly to have firearms at a rally site. Do you?

when in doubt its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 ??

Basically, it will amount to nobody carrying on the ride to theNat'l, if no guns are allowed on the rally site. What else would they do with them once they got there?
My guess is there have been many at Nat'ls ever since they started.
BTW, I don't, never have, everybody I ride with doesn't (as far as I know) and you would be welcome at my site SIBUD.
:wave

guns & rally's

Discretion being the better part of valor, if you carry, keep it under wraps & only you should know it's there, EVER. :thumb

Given the circumstances in which I've ever had to actually display a firearm, yes, they are very kid friendly as I was protecting those same kids against possible harm. My kids, my family. Only happened ONE time, but I was glad I was ready.:usa

Having kids instructed in correct fire arms application is important, but I agree a rally is NOT the location for that. Nor is such education for the masses. Some want, some don't want, but it's just not the correct venue.

I am however comfortable with concealed carry of such hardware although I do not regularly ride with such. My choice though, not everyones and I would not personally do so at such an event.

Never wrong to ask a question, but what were you REALLY looking for? :scratch

I am quite certain that the MOA could NEVER condone concealed carry, and they MUST never do so either.

If you must carry while getting there, that's your call, but make arrangements to store it off site before arriving. Even in the patron state of shootin stuff, you'll be just fine.:D

Legal possession of a firearm cannot be superceded by any policy or 'rule' of the MOA.

Unless a TN law or local ordinance prohibits weapons on the rally site property, the question is moot.

Legal possession of a firearm cannot be superceded by any policy or 'rule' of the MOA.

Unless a TN law or local ordinance prohibits weapons on the rally site property, the question is moot.

I respectfully disagree. This is a private event and the organization can choose to not allow weapons on the grounds. Just like they are not allowed in other places in states with carry permits.

It is not an unrestricted right.

I have been known to carry a broken down AR7 in my trunk or side case.. No one knows, therefore no one cares.. So I agree with Jeremell Don't ask, don't tell

Discretion being the better part of valor, if you carry, keep it under wraps & only you should know it's there, EVER. :thumb

Given the circumstances in which I've ever had to actually display a firearm, yes, they are very kid friendly as I was protecting those same kids against possible harm. My kids, my family. Only happened ONE time, but I was glad I was ready.:usa

Having kids instructed in correct fire arms application is important, but I agree a rally is NOT the location for that. Nor is such education for the masses. Some want, some don't want, but it's just not the correct venue.

I am however comfortable with concealed carry of such hardware although I do not regularly ride with such. My choice though, not everyones and I would not personally do so at such an event.

Never wrong to ask a question, but what were you REALLY looking for? :scratch

I am quite certain that the MOA could NEVER condone concealed carry, and they MUST never do so either.

If you must carry while getting there, that's your call, but make arrangements to store it off site before arriving. Even in the patron state of shootin stuff, you'll be just fine.:D

I was looking for a policy statement from MOA regarding weapons on the rally site, nothing more, nothing less.

I think it would be pretty dumb to do so.

I think it would be even more dumb to advertise: "Hey, Tennessee criminals! No one here has a gun. Come on in and steal some pricey BMW stuff!"

Don't ask, don't tell works for me.

Where you can't carry a gun
Even with a carry permit, there are lots of places where a gun is off-limits, from the obvious to the not-so-obvious (some laws apply only to Tennessee):

Airports
Most court facilities
Federal parks
Public facilities, including city parks and greenways.
School grounds, including public schools, private schools, and colleges. There's an exception when dropping off students, as long as the gun stays in the car and isn't handled.
Any private property where a notice is posted. In Knoxville, that includes all of West Town Mall.
Anywhere alcohol is served. In addition, you can't carry while you're drinking. In Tennessee, there's no threshold or blood alcohol level. No drinking whatsoever is allowed while carrying.

Sorry, I already asked.

I'm sure someone from the Rally committee will let us know what it is.

If you'd like an official response, please send a note on this question to "board@bmwmoa.org" or to "rayz@bmwmoa.org". Thanks.

If you'd like an official response, please send a note on this question to "board@bmwmoa.org" or to "rayz@bmwmoa.org". Thanks.

Thanks Greg. On the way.

I posted the question here as the very first post on this forum includes this statement:

Hello everyone,

I thought it may be a good idea to start this thread after reading several rally related comments on various other threads. The purpose here is to exchange information and try to answer questions related specifically to the MOA National Rally NEXT year 2009.

Now, it is your turnany questions or comments?

Vance Harrelson
2009 Rally Chair

Perhaps I read too much into this statement.

Thanks Greg. On the way.

I posted the question here as the very first post on this forum includes this statement:

Perhaps I read too much into this statement.

No, you read that right. But, such a policy would come from the Board, so it's not a bad idea to ask there. Your email to the Board is making the rounds right now. I can give you the short answer is that as far as I can tell we have no official Policy on the books about this, and I've never heard of an un-official one at any of our rallies - or for that matter any BMW rally I've been to.

No, you read that right. But, such a policy would come from the Board, so it's not a bad idea to ask there. Your email to the Board is making the rounds right now. I can give you the short answer is that as far as I can tell we have no official Policy on the books about this, and I've never heard of an un-official one at any of our rallies - or for that matter any BMW rally I've been to.

Thanks Greg. Always appreciate your prompt response.

I'm going to make no further posts on this issue and see what the Board thinks is appropriate as they have the final say.

Ride Well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back